Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514849 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3300 on: August 08, 2017, 12:20:09 pm »
So I'm trying to think about it and I've played RPG games before, but Dragon Quest IV feels different than anything I've played, but also seems to be more of a traditional RPG if I'm not mistaken.  I think this is my first experience with a traditional RPG. 

I've played Wild Arms, but my love for Wild Arms largely came from the puzzles and story, not the battle system, so battling in general was always an annoyance.  I've played Pokemon, but that's a very dumbed down version of traditional RPGs.

I've really liked DQ4 so far, but it played out without me having to do much grinding, which I appreciated.  But now that I'm level 16 and trying to fight a boss when I should be at 20, I've been grinding for the past 2 days and I'm only level 17-19 now, I'm getting kind of annoyed. 

I also went to a town and they had a Battle Axe for sale and now for the life of me I can't find that town again.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3301 on: August 08, 2017, 01:52:16 pm »
Nevermind what I wrote here. I read the original post wrong (I saw GBA, when the person said GBC).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:55:33 pm by burningdoom »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3302 on: August 08, 2017, 01:54:33 pm »
So I'm trying to think about it and I've played RPG games before, but Dragon Quest IV feels different than anything I've played, but also seems to be more of a traditional RPG if I'm not mistaken.  I think this is my first experience with a traditional RPG. 

I've played Wild Arms, but my love for Wild Arms largely came from the puzzles and story, not the battle system, so battling in general was always an annoyance.  I've played Pokemon, but that's a very dumbed down version of traditional RPGs.

I've really liked DQ4 so far, but it played out without me having to do much grinding, which I appreciated.  But now that I'm level 16 and trying to fight a boss when I should be at 20, I've been grinding for the past 2 days and I'm only level 17-19 now, I'm getting kind of annoyed. 

I also went to a town and they had a Battle Axe for sale and now for the life of me I can't find that town again.

I'm playing through DQ4 again, right now. Love that game.

It's totally a traditional JRPG, in like every sense of the word. I do remember that it had a bit more story going on than the average 8-bit JRPG, though. It was really cool how the 4 characters individual stories came together into 1 story (I don't remember that before this game released, but I've seen it since many times).

As for where the Axe is, you do have the Zoom spell, right? Just Zoom to every town until you find it.

« Reply #3303 on: August 08, 2017, 02:10:43 pm »

It's totally a traditional JRPG, in like every sense of the word. I do remember that it had a bit more story going on than the average 8-bit JRPG, though. It was really cool how the 4 characters individual stories came together into 1 story (I don't remember that before this game released, but I've seen it since many times).

As for where the Axe is, you do have the Zoom spell, right? Just Zoom to every town until you find it.
I did Zoom to every town I could, but you can only zoom to towns with Churches, and the town may not have had a church.

Everything I read online says only Rosetown and Riverton have the Axe, but I've never been to either and their inventories are much better than the Axe, so those weren't it for sure.  I found that there is a secret shop in Zalengrad that sells the axe so I went there, but I really have no clue what town it was that I visited that had the axe.  It's driving me nuts.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #3304 on: August 08, 2017, 09:14:30 pm »
Got an S Rank for the bad ending in Furi, but I keep getting down to the secret boss' final phase and dying horribly before I can unlock the good ending. I don't remember having nearly as much trouble with the PC version. Guess I need to git gud.

Edit: Got it! Now, let's see how long it'll take me to burn out on Furier difficulty.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:25:13 am by doctorlaudanum »
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3305 on: August 09, 2017, 12:36:16 pm »

I did Zoom to every town I could, but you can only zoom to towns with Churches, and the town may not have had a church.

Everything I read online says only Rosetown and Riverton have the Axe, but I've never been to either and their inventories are much better than the Axe, so those weren't it for sure.  I found that there is a secret shop in Zalengrad that sells the axe so I went there, but I really have no clue what town it was that I visited that had the axe.  It's driving me nuts.

I just got to said town! It's only accessible by ship, and it's the on the bottom content where the rivers go into the continent from the north.

« Reply #3306 on: August 09, 2017, 12:48:56 pm »

I just got to said town! It's only accessible by ship, and it's the on the bottom content where the rivers go into the continent from the north.
Yeah, I'm a few hundred gold away from the Dragonbane.  Did you just get the ship or have you already beat Ballsack?

I'm assuming having played it before, that you are getting through this game much faster than I.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3307 on: August 09, 2017, 12:49:36 pm »

Yeah, I'm a few hundred gold away from the Dragonbane.  Did you just get the ship or have you already beat Ballsack?

Just got the ship. But then this is the 3rd time I'm playing through the game.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3308 on: August 09, 2017, 12:50:37 pm »
Heh, I just noticed you spelled it "ballsack".  ;D

« Reply #3309 on: August 09, 2017, 12:51:57 pm »

Just got the ship. But then this is the 3rd time I'm playing through the game.
I recently got the boat, I'm at the boss battle with Ballsack at Lion Castle, he wiped the floor with me so I'm grinding.  Most of my team is 18-21 right now.

telly

« Reply #3310 on: August 09, 2017, 09:12:41 pm »
Started up Mighty No. 9 next. It's definitely interesting. It's not as bad as everyone has been saying IMO, but it's still not great
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3311 on: August 10, 2017, 09:42:48 am »
Started up Mighty No. 9 next. It's definitely interesting. It's not as bad as everyone has been saying IMO, but it's still not great

I'm having fun with it.  I don't see where all the hate came from.  I'm only like 3 stages in, but I'm having fun.

(I play games really slow these days.  Family, work, other hobbies, and sleep all get in the way.)

« Reply #3312 on: August 11, 2017, 08:58:21 am »
Recently I have tried to come back to one of my Amiga's favourites - which is Chaos Engine... but dang, this game is hard, and didn't age perfectly. I would like to see some small features added to the remaster, to be honest.

I discovered a game called Tower 57 - I even managed to download the demo version from Humble Bundle. It is really cool, a twin-stick shooter with detailed pixel-art - and as far as I understand - levels are designed by hand, not randomized, which I can totally respect in times of Randomly-Generated-Everything. But the problem is that this demo is quite short, only one level is available. I was wondering if maybe someone from this forum had a chance to play it on some events or has access to more robust beta version? Or perhaps you could recommend something similar to Chaos Engine? I looked for similar experiences - but only thing I've found is this Tower game.

azure

« Reply #3313 on: August 12, 2017, 12:54:07 pm »
Finished up Darius' story in Evergrace, doing Sharline's as we speak. Will be going for the 100% collection for both characters and that fancy secret dungeon for the Moonlight Sword. Forever Kingdom/Evergrace 2 showed up as well, so I'll be jumping into that directly after I finish up Evergrace. Looking forward to see how much I like it compared to Evergrace.

« Reply #3314 on: August 12, 2017, 02:52:45 pm »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:38:08 pm by jce3000gt »