Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514882 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3345 on: August 29, 2017, 02:08:22 pm »
As expected... I'm getting burnt out with Dragon Quest IV.  I'm at the final fight.

I got to the final fight at about level 29-32 with 24 hours of gameplay in.  I'm now at level 38-40 with 30 hours of gameplay in and I still get whipped by the boss.  I'm close to being done, I know it, but I shouldn't have to grind for what amounts to 1/4 of what I've put in right at the end to finish it.  That's called useless filler.

I've amassed enough money to buy 3 sets of Liquid Slime Armor.  Might be close to 4 at this point.

edit: Apparently I forgot about farming Metal King Slimes... so now I'm getting 30-90k xp every few minutes.

edit 2: After another 10 hours of gameplay (about 40 hours total) I've 100% completed the game.  Collected all weapons, all mini-medals, beat all bosses, and got all of my party to level 50+.

On to Dragon Quest V.

So, did you fire up your save file after the ending? There's a Chapter 6 on the DS version.
Yeah, that was the "edit 2".  I did Chapter 6 and all of the other stuff I missed.

I'm at the wedding part of DQ5 now.  I'm playing this one much slower than I did with DQ4.  I've been playing Agents of Mayhem at home and I'm going to jump into Yakuza Kiwami after I'm done with AoM.

I think part of my thing with DQ4 was that I was binge watching Community, so it was easy to play a handheld game while watching.  I've finished Community so playing a handheld game isn't as convenient at home.

shepard11

« Reply #3346 on: August 29, 2017, 03:21:50 pm »
Been playing Mega Man 7 (by way of the MM Legacy Collection Vol. 2). I haven't played this game since I was in high school. I don't know the timing at all and it being Mega Man it's kicking my ass.

« Reply #3347 on: August 29, 2017, 06:06:23 pm »
I think 7 and 8 are both good games, generally better than most of the NES ones to me, not sure why anyone gives them any guff.

MM8 just has the miserable voice acting.  I can't agree it's charming, I think it shows that whoever did the dub didn't give a damn about even trying lol  Would've been nice if they had given the option for a Japanese original which is way better.

telly

« Reply #3348 on: August 29, 2017, 06:13:38 pm »
I think 7 and 8 get flak because the X games were out at that time, and people thought Capcom was regressing.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:10:19 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #3349 on: August 29, 2017, 06:46:37 pm »
I think 7 and 8 get flax because the X games were out at that time, and people thought Capcom was regressing.

To some degree, I do think MM7 and MM8 feel that way when the X series was just better.  While they are good games, I sorta don't see the point of them.  It would be like Nintendo releasing Super Mario World, but then they go and right after release Super Mario 4, just being Super Mario 3 with better sprites.  Sure, it would be fine, but Super Mario World is way better lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3350 on: August 29, 2017, 08:21:27 pm »
I think 7 and 8 get flax because the X games were out at that time, and people thought Capcom was regressing.

To some degree, I do think MM7 and MM8 feel that way when the X series was just better.  While they are good games, I sorta don't see the point of them.  It would be like Nintendo releasing Super Mario World, but then they go and right after release Super Mario 4, just being Super Mario 3 with better sprites.  Sure, it would be fine, but Super Mario World is way better lol

I completely agree about SMW. But I know many people would argue that SMB 3 was better.

I think it's just more of a preference. The X games are more story-driven, and even have a few RPG-elements sprinkled in. The main series is just plain, tough-as-nails, platforming.

« Reply #3351 on: August 29, 2017, 08:37:26 pm »

I completely agree about SMW. But I know many people would argue that SMB 3 was better.

I think it's just more of a preference. The X games are more story-driven, and even have a few RPG-elements sprinkled in. The main series is just plain, tough-as-nails, platforming.

Maybe back in the NES days, but 7 and 8 just felt like lesser versions of X in the older art style.  They aren't really harder (Outside of that obnoxious Astro Man stage) and they have less gameplay features as the X series introduced stuff like wall climbing and dash jumping.  But yeah, it is personal preference.  I never really enjoyed the NES games compared to X.

« Reply #3352 on: August 30, 2017, 05:51:32 am »
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is fairly fun.  It sorta reminds me of what Super Mario RPG was trying to do at the time, where it wasn't reinventing anything, but it takes its different genre for Mario and makes something pretty entertaining and goofy.  I think what might be the negative aspect of the game is your tolerance for the Rabbids as they are...the Rabbids...but they aren't bugging me much and make me chuckle every so often.

kashell

« Reply #3353 on: August 30, 2017, 08:02:57 am »
I still prefer the X series over the vanilla series, but I'm a true-blue (bomber) Mega Man fan so I enjoy them both. I didn't get to play any Mega Man 8 yesterday since I'm pretty deep in Arc Rise Fantasia. I'll probably get a few more stages done this weekend. I'm not looking forward to "Jump! Jump! Slide! Slide!"

« Reply #3354 on: August 30, 2017, 03:50:26 pm »
I still prefer the X series over the vanilla series, but I'm a true-blue (bomber) Mega Man fan so I enjoy them both. I didn't get to play any Mega Man 8 yesterday since I'm pretty deep in Arc Rise Fantasia. I'll probably get a few more stages done this weekend. I'm not looking forward to "Jump! Jump! Slide! Slide!"

That was my nightmare.  That and Astro Man's stage were the worst part of the game lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3355 on: August 30, 2017, 03:58:40 pm »

And...

And finally, on the handheld front:

kashell

« Reply #3356 on: August 30, 2017, 04:11:18 pm »

That was my nightmare.  That and Astro Man's stage were the worst part of the game lol

For some reason I can't remember Astro Man's stage.

I sort of remember his stage being kind of finicky in Mega Man and Bass.

« Reply #3357 on: August 30, 2017, 04:18:09 pm »

For some reason I can't remember Astro Man's stage.

I sort of remember his stage being kind of finicky in Mega Man and Bass.

Astro Man's stage just has some annoyance to its design and then there's two areas that are these...infinite hallways, where you gotta position moving walls in certain ways to progress and I couldn't get through the first one so I just used a walkthrough because it was driving me nuts.

kevininja

« Reply #3358 on: August 30, 2017, 04:24:30 pm »
I'm still playing through Gravity Rush 2 and just really taking my time playing a handful of side missions, challenges and story missions every day.

After that I'm probably going to get back to Yakuza 0, so I can start Kiwami sometime next month!

shfan

« Reply #3359 on: August 31, 2017, 07:29:05 am »
Mount & Blade Warband (PS4), replaying with a female character who has now declared independence and has control of @ 40% of the island, at war with the Nords. Absolutely love it.

Been away on a short break, picked up Hey! Pikmin for the 3DS, which is again superb.

Also been continuing with Dungeon Travellers 2 for the Vita, Christ it's a grindfest to get anywhere.