Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 515002 times)

kashell

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3525 on: November 10, 2017, 04:20:43 pm »
I'm holding off on Undertale since I'm on a mini-vacation with limited computer access. Some friends of mine on another forum wanted me to make a play-through topic on it; I decided to wait until I can easily get my thoughts down so they could follow.

So! I'm now playing Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth. So far, it feels just as fun as the first game. Battles are limited, conversation is heavy, and the story pulls you in from the start. In some ways, I feel like I'm still playing Dungeon Travelers 2 due to this game being more of Aquaplus' handiwork. I really enjoy their art style, so this game feels like a good fit for now.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3526 on: November 12, 2017, 12:55:26 am »

I got a free game rental from RedBox in my email, so I used it to check this out. I enjoyed the other two games in this modern take on the series.

I didn't have enough time to finish it. But I enjoyed what I played. Not much new here. A lot of the same. Actually, it felt a bit dialed back. There wasn't nearly as many mechanical monstrosities as the first couple games. But it seems that halfway through the game, you become the mechanical monstrosity. I literally had 15 minutes left to get the game back when I got to that point. So I really didn't get to experience it.

« Reply #3527 on: November 12, 2017, 01:25:00 am »
I've been on a huge King of Fighters kick since yesterday and started playing XIV again on the PS4. I swear, if you give me a good game with a ton of unlockables I will never stop playing. I've been enjoying unlocking everything in the Gallery, especially all the old KOF art and game posters. Unlocking all this is also making me feel like playing a lot of the other KOF games I've spent less time with, mainly 2000 through 2003. I really, REALLY want 2002 Unlimited Match, but damn it's pricey :(

desocietas

« Reply #3528 on: November 13, 2017, 12:31:10 pm »
So! I'm now playing Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth. So far, it feels just as fun as the first game. Battles are limited, conversation is heavy, and the story pulls you in from the start. In some ways, I feel like I'm still playing Dungeon Travelers 2 due to this game being more of Aquaplus' handiwork. I really enjoy their art style, so this game feels like a good fit for now.

Did you see that the first Utawarerumono is getting redone in Japan? I'd been watching a playthrough online on YT, but I'd much prefer to go through it myself. If it comes to the NA, I'll definitely be buying it.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #3529 on: November 13, 2017, 12:44:35 pm »
Finished up my final puzzle in Picross on the Switch the other night so can finally put that  away, fuck the mega picross puzzles in general. I'm now bouncing between Zelda Breath of the Wild and Metal Gear 5. Really need to get the pro controller for switch I've found I really do not like using the joy cons either in mobile mode or on the controller mount in a game like Zelda.

desocietas

« Reply #3530 on: November 13, 2017, 01:35:24 pm »
Finished up my final puzzle in Picross on the Switch the other night so can finally put that  away, fuck the mega picross puzzles in general. I'm now bouncing between Zelda Breath of the Wild and Metal Gear 5. Really need to get the pro controller for switch I've found I really do not like using the joy cons either in mobile mode or on the controller mount in a game like Zelda.

I got a lot of satisfaction with using the stylus on the DS and 3DS versions of Picross. How was it for you on the Switch?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #3531 on: November 13, 2017, 02:13:56 pm »

Did you see that the first Utawarerumono is getting redone in Japan? I'd been watching a playthrough online on YT, but I'd much prefer to go through it myself. If it comes to the NA, I'll definitely be buying it.

Really? That's new to me. I'm surprised that they're doing a remake already. I don't think it needs a remake since they play well. I'm not sure if I'll buy it if it comes to the US. The two that are here make a good a set.

« Reply #3532 on: November 13, 2017, 02:54:33 pm »

I got a lot of satisfaction with using the stylus on the DS and 3DS versions of Picross. How was it for you on the Switch?

I thought it worked well, I've never played the earlier titles on DS or 3DS so I can't really compare. I got the game off of a Giant Bomb quicklook video and the one playing it is a big fan of the previous 3D titles and he seemed to act like it was just fine playing with the dpad and controls over using a stylus.

telly

« Reply #3533 on: November 13, 2017, 02:54:54 pm »
I don't know if I want to start Batman: Arkham Origins or dive into Xenoblade Chronicles X next
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #3534 on: November 13, 2017, 08:26:41 pm »
I can certainly see why Asura's Wrath didn't do super great.  Been meaning to play the game for a long time, seen clips here and there, but man, this games execution is awful.  The style on the other hand is top notch, very unique designs, crazy moments, it's a visual treat, even if the framerate doesn't do well in parts.  The games design through with this faux anime tv series style, complete with midway commercial markers and previews for the next "episode", is frankly annoying.  Just when the game is feeling like it's taken off, we get "TO BE CONTINUED" and then the mission end screen, and abit of inbetween story panels, and a baffling preview of the next 15 minutes of the game. 

Gameplay isn't very good either, not counting the QTE's.  Functional, but it's too basic and it feels unsatisfying in general, like it's missing the proper impact.  Sound feels off too, like the mixing is bad with the voices being overtaken by the music or again with the gameplay not feeling heavy.  Not a lot of it either and it never feels like I'm in danger or being hurt.  I don't even know if I have a health bar.

Gonna beat the game, since it is pretty short, but this feels like it would've been way better as like a 3 part OVA or something.  Also yeah, seeing that the games ending is a separate DLC pack is some bullcrap.  7 bucks still for it.  I don't care if I paid 5 bucks for this game used, I'm not buying lame crap like that.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:29:07 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #3535 on: November 14, 2017, 10:16:55 am »
Played about 20 more hours of Breath of the Wild over the weekend. Just finished the last of the divine beasts.
Almost near the platinum trophy on Senran Kagura: Estival Versus as well

« Reply #3536 on: November 15, 2017, 08:15:38 am »

I personally prefer the dpad and buttons over the stylus on the DS/3DS versions, so the Switch version was no issue for me.  The Switch version I don't believe offer any form of touch screen controls.

I'm like halfway through the Mega Picross puzzles, but the Mega Picross puzzles use the same solutions as the regular Picross puzzles, you just go about it differently.  It's kind of disappointing that they just reused the puzzles from regular mode.

« Reply #3537 on: November 15, 2017, 08:50:06 pm »

I personally prefer the dpad and buttons over the stylus on the DS/3DS versions, so the Switch version was no issue for me.  The Switch version I don't believe offer any form of touch screen controls.

I'm like halfway through the Mega Picross puzzles, but the Mega Picross puzzles use the same solutions as the regular Picross puzzles, you just go about it differently.  It's kind of disappointing that they just reused the puzzles from regular mode.

I only went through the first 2 pages of mega puzzles and ya the repeat pictures with mixed up solutions just weren't doing it for me, I just don't like the mega addition in general compared to the normal puzzles, I'm looking forward to trying the 3D puzzles on 3DS though since I haven't played those before.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3538 on: November 16, 2017, 10:13:49 am »
I started playing Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle.  This shit is different.  I've made it through the first level.  I suck at it, but I'm getting the hang of it. 
At first, I thought I'd wasted my money; but then, I got sucked in.  I'm really digging this game. 
Now, I reserve the right to change my mind; but as of right now, I'm calling it a winner.

« Reply #3539 on: November 16, 2017, 01:01:18 pm »
Decided to start playing Undertale.  The game starts pretty slow, but as soon as you leave Astiel's house and meet Sans, the game gets FUNNY.

I stayed up an hour later than I usually do because I just didn't want to stop playing.  I can't wait to get home from work to continue playing it.