Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514804 times)

desocietas

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3705 on: April 03, 2018, 11:07:53 am »
Just about finished with Dragon Quest VI... so now do I jump into Dragon Quest VII because it's next numerically, or do I jump into Dragon Quest IX because it released on NDS before VII released on the 3DS?

I'd say all DQ-related questions can go directly to @soera ;)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3706 on: April 03, 2018, 11:15:49 am »
Just about finished with Dragon Quest VI... so now do I jump into Dragon Quest VII because it's next numerically, or do I jump into Dragon Quest IX because it released on NDS before VII released on the 3DS?

Doesn't really matter. They're all standalone stories.

Dragon Quest VII tries to do some new things, while Dragon Quest IX is the tried and true DQ formula.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:17:20 am by burningdoom »

« Reply #3707 on: April 03, 2018, 11:49:45 am »

Dragon Quest VII tries to do some new things, while Dragon Quest IX is the tried and true DQ formula.
The concern isn't story related.  It's more to do with the changes as the series progresses.  7 originally came out before 9 obviously, but 7 for 3DS came out after 9.  So in terms of following the progression of the gameplay mechanics and features, going from 7 to 9 or 9 to 7, will I be getting new features in one that won't be in the other because one is older than the other.  I don't know if I'm wording that correctly.

desocietas

« Reply #3708 on: April 03, 2018, 12:05:26 pm »

The concern isn't story related.  It's more to do with the changes as the series progresses.  7 originally came out before 9 obviously, but 7 for 3DS came out after 9.  So in terms of following the progression of the gameplay mechanics and features, going from 7 to 9 or 9 to 7, will I be getting new features in one that won't be in the other because one is older than the other.  I don't know if I'm wording that correctly.

I see what you're trying to say. 9 is pretty straightforward in mechanics, and the biggest feature it had at the time was streetpass and being able to pick up things from other players, but you'll still be fine with it in offline mode. I haven't played the 3DS version of VII yet but it seems like they added some nice features to make things a little easier.

If I were you, I'd do 9 first, then 7.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #3709 on: April 04, 2018, 10:10:11 am »
Yeah the consensus I'm getting elsewhere is to play 9 and then 7 and 8 on 3DS.

Someone even suggested I should've played 9 before 6 since it did come out a year earlier.  Oh well.

Gonna start that up tomorrow.  Hopefully I can get through 7-9 before 11 comes out.  Though I'm thinking I might wait on the Switch version for that mobile goodness.

kashell

« Reply #3710 on: April 04, 2018, 12:38:45 pm »
Two things I've been playing: The Alliance Alive and Atelier Lydie & Suelle.

The Alliance Alive might end up becoming my 2018 sleeper hit. It's really proving to be miles ahead of The Legend of Legacy. On the opposite end, Atelier Lydie and Suelle is starting to wear me out.

desocietas

« Reply #3711 on: April 04, 2018, 02:13:33 pm »
Two things I've been playing: The Alliance Alive and Atelier Lydie & Suelle.

The Alliance Alive might end up becoming my 2018 sleeper hit. It's really proving to be miles ahead of The Legend of Legacy. On the opposite end, Atelier Lydie and Suelle is starting to wear me out.

Good to hear about Alliance Alive! No one's talking about it, so I just assumed it bombed in secret. It's sitting in the box from Amazon under my desk, so I'll get to it... one day....

I picked up SMT: Strange Journey again and just hit the same spot that I rage quit from back when I tried to play it at launch. I think I just have to grind a bunch more before trying to take on this boss - he just wrecks me so fast.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #3712 on: April 05, 2018, 08:40:38 am »
I hope you enjoy it as much as I am. I played some more of it last night; it's really shaping up to be a fun, challenging title.

desocietas

« Reply #3713 on: April 09, 2018, 01:29:29 pm »
Was restless yesterday and decided to try out a few different games I'd yet to crack open.

Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker (Wii U): Cute, but the camera was a bit weird for me. I think the upcoming updated versions have better camera options...? Just played two levels but wasn't feeling it yesterday.
Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii): Felt pretty good on a big screen and with the wiimote. Had played the DS version, but being able to relax on the couch with this was pretty nice.
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii): Camera controls with wiimote & nunchuk are super weird for me. Only started walking around the first town, but I'm enjoying the NPC interactions so far. Not sure how I feel about the battle system just yet, but I still have a lot to learn, I'm sure. I'm curious how this N3DS version compares in regard to controls.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3714 on: April 09, 2018, 01:52:40 pm »
Wrong thread, sorry.

telly

« Reply #3715 on: April 09, 2018, 11:12:40 pm »
Was restless yesterday and decided to try out a few different games I'd yet to crack open.

Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker (Wii U): Cute, but the camera was a bit weird for me. I think the upcoming updated versions have better camera options...? Just played two levels but wasn't feeling it yesterday.
Rhythm Heaven Fever (Wii): Felt pretty good on a big screen and with the wiimote. Had played the DS version, but being able to relax on the couch with this was pretty nice.
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii): Camera controls with wiimote & nunchuk are super weird for me. Only started walking around the first town, but I'm enjoying the NPC interactions so far. Not sure how I feel about the battle system just yet, but I still have a lot to learn, I'm sure. I'm curious how this N3DS version compares in regard to controls.

I'm curious, how did you play Captain Toad? I played it completely off the TV and used the analog sticks for camera movement. It worked pretty well afaik.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

desocietas

« Reply #3716 on: April 10, 2018, 01:25:13 am »
I'm curious, how did you play Captain Toad? I played it completely off the TV and used the analog sticks for camera movement. It worked pretty well afaik.

I played it off the TV and I think I used the analog sticks for the camera. Maybe it was because the levels are kinda small and compact but I found myself spinning the camera around a lot to get a good view at things, but it felt like I needed to move Toad and move the camera at the same time sometimes while things in the environment (like elevator sort of things) would need to be navigated.

I figure maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it, but I just wanted to zoom in more than I could...? I recall the trailer for the 3DS version made some comment about being able to zoom in more on levels or something. Just had weird camera feelings in general yesterday, I guess, haha.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #3717 on: April 20, 2018, 06:32:03 am »
Put a good chunk of time into the new God of War and it's very solid.  Definitely enjoying myself.  It's a big shift for the series, but most of what was there in the previous games, is essentially here still, just handled abit differently. 

Unrelated to the game itself, I wonder if the writers have any sort of personal canon idea on how Norse mythology exists alongside Greek mythology lol They slightly talk about it seems like the different pantheons know of each other, so I wonder if all of the gods are just celestial beings that have created their own dominion over areas of the world, expanded it from there into their own dimensions and such.  Something like that gives this series endless potential.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3718 on: April 20, 2018, 12:45:46 pm »
Put a good chunk of time into the new God of War and it's very solid.  Definitely enjoying myself.  It's a big shift for the series, but most of what was there in the previous games, is essentially here still, just handled abit differently. 

Unrelated to the game itself, I wonder if the writers have any sort of personal canon idea on how Norse mythology exists alongside Greek mythology lol They slightly talk about it seems like the different pantheons know of each other, so I wonder if all of the gods are just celestial beings that have created their own dominion over areas of the world, expanded it from there into their own dimensions and such.  Something like that gives this series endless potential.

Is this the same Kratos from the Greek entries? Or is this a reimagining of the series?

« Reply #3719 on: April 20, 2018, 12:55:58 pm »

Is this the same Kratos from the Greek entries? Or is this a reimagining of the series?
One and the same.  Takes place after GoW3 I think.