Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 513747 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3840 on: August 17, 2018, 10:54:58 pm »
While I was in a good place with Mega Man X5 for the most part, the level design in X6 is awful.  So far I've come across 3 terrible levels that just throw all this crap at you and they aren't even slightly fun.  I haven't figured out if I just need a certain weapon that negates a lot of the the stuff getting thrown at me, but it's crazy how bad these levels feel.  Which is a shame as there are some nice improvements over X5.  Less hand holding as they made the communications robot an optional button press if you want to listen to her and they removed the parts from being a boss weapon choice and connected it with the robots you rescue, making them a collectible essentially and I like that. 

Also one area had a checkpoint on it in a secret area and if you don't have a means to double dash or fly, you are literally stuck there and forced to game over to leave, negating all the work I put in to get where I was in the level.

*EDIT* Yeah I've finally hit the game in this series where I'm going "This is bullshit".  X6 is a mess in terms of level and boss design.  It was like someone at Capcom saw X4 and X5 and went "People were enjoying themselves too much, lets change that".  And this isn't even like the X1 to X3 level of challenge, it's just frustrating, not fun, design.  Remember in X1, where some levels would, when beaten, affect  others? They seemingly do that now too, but instead of maybe altering the level for new routes or a cool change, they just add difficulty to the level.  Not sure if it's every one, but I went back to the jungle level, and now underground my vision is obscured, or if I go to the recycling level, random boxes are put in my way that mildly slow me down if I don't destroy them with the rock smash thing.

I might actually have to take a break from the series.  I was doing good, not getting fatigued as things picked up after X3, but I'm back to being annoyed and those Rayman games I've been meaning to play are looking mighty enjoyable right about now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 06:24:31 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #3841 on: August 19, 2018, 11:37:06 pm »
MMX7 seems like it'll be abit of a thing, so I managed to buy Metal Gear Survive for 10 bucks, a price I think is totally fine for the game, so I can try to beat it.  I didn't hate my rental time with it and I'm curious what it'll be like as I progress, because there's some elements I do like.  Of course, the big issues are the rate at which food, thirst, and oxygen, deplete, along with the time spent in the dust storm.  You spend a lot of time in a place you can't see very well in and that is annoying.  Keeping up your stats isn't the greatest kind of fun, and unfortunately Konami is wanting to nudge you in the direction of micro-transactions to make things easier, but it's still a playable experience.  Not something I'd recommend, but I'm alright with it at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:32:54 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #3842 on: August 20, 2018, 09:07:15 am »
I got discouraged when I realized how far I was from the platinum in MGSV... so I hopped back onto Mega Man X5.

« Reply #3843 on: August 21, 2018, 03:18:04 am »
Two levels into Mega Man X7 and it's almost impressive how bad this game is.  This game exists after something like 14 main series games had come out before, and nothing about that long history is seen here.  I also thought this was like a late gen PS1 game that was cleaned up a little, but nope, this somehow a PS2 game.  It's gameplay is clunky, it doesn't really look good, it's slow, and I'm not even playing as X right now, I'm playing as Axel, who is awful, and Zero sucks to play as.

I don't even know if I'll beat this one...Frustration in previous games is one thing, but at their core, there's always at least a good game.  This does not have that.

kashell

« Reply #3844 on: August 21, 2018, 08:06:55 am »
I have a little over a month before the release of Valkyria Chronicles 4, so I'm trying to figure out what to play in the meantime. I'm thinking it's finally time I give Final Fantasy X a chance. I first played years ago, but didn't get very far.

Let's see if I can actually finish it this time.

« Reply #3845 on: August 21, 2018, 08:52:55 am »
I just started Mega Man 8.  It is really a shame that the controls are so stiff and sluggish, because I adore the art style here.  The OVA may have terrible voice acting, but it kind of adds to the charm.  Without finishing it, it probably belongs at the bottom of the list of the classic games.  Just need to get through this so I can try out 9 and 10.

« Reply #3846 on: August 21, 2018, 07:10:34 pm »
I found myself drawn back to Dynasty Warriors 9, despite it being a low point in the series. I Think I never really felt that I had completed it, despite getting all the achievements, as getting all the achievements for 9 only needs around 10% completion compared to the 100% needed for every other Warriors game. So, getting it cheap for the PS4 allowed me to go back for the multi-platform stack.

So far, I've finished the stories for Liu Bei, Pang De, Fa Zheng, Diaochan, Xu Shu, Zhang Chunhua and Sun Jian, and am just about done with Cao Cao's. Next will probably be Zhong Hui or Yuan Shao.

In any case, I still would not recommend this game as someone's first foray into the Warriors games. Dynasty Warriors 8 and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 would be my suggested entry points.

topspot123

« Reply #3847 on: August 21, 2018, 10:52:14 pm »
I'm being forced to play 'Adulthood' non stop lately.  It really sucks and I'm not good at it.  Maybe soon I can trade it in for something better, like Sonic '06.

« Reply #3848 on: August 22, 2018, 04:13:12 am »
Mega Man X8 is surprisingly hard.  Not like MMX6 hard, but the levels are all pretty long, way longer than they ever were before, and with limited lives, it can feel abit of a grind at a times and a couple levels aren't very fun.  They worked the upgrade system into this, so even if you don't beat a level, you get material for upgrading X, Zero, and Axel, so it doesn't feel like a wasted experience.  Even with some issues with the levels, it's a breath of fresh air after X7.

telly

« Reply #3849 on: August 24, 2018, 11:02:43 am »
So I was playing Earthbound Beginings but I hit this massive wall of difficulty right at Mt. Itoi, and I'm not too keen about slogging through it at this point. I decided to start a playthrough of Pokemon Omega Ruby to take a break from it.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #3850 on: August 26, 2018, 12:42:46 am »
Finally getting around to Hollow Knight.  Got such a good sale on it that I figured I'd just hop in now.  I know Dead Cells is kinda the hot thing right now, but I much prefer fully designed games, I never seem to beat the rogue-like stuff (Rogue Legacy, Binding of Isaac, and more recently Enter the Gungeon), so I passed on that for now.  So far I've done two areas and it's solid.  I probably like Ori and the Blind Forest more in terms of a comparable game, just because that game was so dang stylish and a visual treat, but this games nice.  Was worried when the sorta "Dark Souls Death" mechanic was brought in that this game was gonna be hard, but it's a very comfortable challenge so far.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3851 on: August 26, 2018, 12:59:15 am »
Playing through Brutal Legend again. Love that game so much! Top 10 for me.

« Reply #3852 on: August 26, 2018, 01:16:44 am »
Playing through Brutal Legend again. Love that game so much! Top 10 for me.

Ah yeah, top 10 game for me too! Absolute favorite of mine.  I don't know if there's ever been a game that's been more specifically targeted at me.  I'm still holding out hope for some sort of sequel someday.

kashell

« Reply #3853 on: August 26, 2018, 11:58:26 am »
I'm finally giving Final Fantasy X a fair shot. I just made it to the Thunder Plains.

telly

« Reply #3854 on: August 26, 2018, 12:12:55 pm »
I'm finally giving Final Fantasy X a fair shot. I just made it to the Thunder Plains.

Watch out for the lightning! ;) I'm curious to see what you think of it if you end up beating it. I'm super excited to give it a replay even though I've already beaten it twice.

I was playing Earthbound Beginnings but I hit this huge wall of difficulty at Mt. Itoi and got really discouraged from playing it anymore so I've been giving it a break. I started up Omega Ruby and have been playing a bit of Turok 2: Seeds of Evil on my Game Boy Player
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery