Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514259 times)

pzeke

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #3990 on: January 25, 2019, 09:39:37 pm »
I bought RE3 Nemesis on release day long, long ago. That f'ker kept me on the edge of my seat the whole game. Bastard just kept popping up groaning "STARRRRRS!"   :o

Now imagine that in a modern setting. Hands down a better scare than what RE7 offered.

Talking about RE7, it would be neat if Capcom ended up re-releasing the game in a third-person perspective. Granted, the odds of that happening I think are rather slim, but who knows. Just spitballing.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #3991 on: January 25, 2019, 09:52:27 pm »
I bought RE3 Nemesis on release day long, long ago. That f'ker kept me on the edge of my seat the whole game. Bastard just kept popping up groaning "STARRRRRS!"   :o

Now imagine that in a modern setting. Hands down a better scare than what RE7 offered.

Talking about RE7, it would be neat if Capcom ended up re-releasing the game in a third-person perspective. Granted, the odds of that happening I think are rather slim, but who knows. Just spitballing.

That game could only really work as an FPS.  It's a much more scaled down experience compared to other RE games, so you really need to be in that view as you explore these more narrow and smaller areas.  I noticed that while playing the RE2 Remake, that the tension isn't nearly as high, because there's just so much to explore and area to move around in.  The tension ramps up once Mr. X shows up, but RE7 had me on edge through most of the first half of the game.

pzeke

« Reply #3992 on: January 25, 2019, 11:18:47 pm »
I liked the approach of RE7, just didn't feel the horror. And I know that's a very "popular thing to say" when it comes to this game, but I'm being honest. I did like Jack Baker's character, though - he was probably the best part of the game for me.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #3993 on: January 26, 2019, 06:42:26 am »
Claire's campaign in RE2R right now and didn't realize it was an alternate version of Leon's story.  Thought she would be off doing her own thing elsewhere, but eventually I did hit the point where the story is splitting and doing more of its own thing.  Really enjoying my time and the grenade launcher is awesome.  Feels so much more reliable than the shotgun, especially against Lickers and it should be very helpful with some of the later creatures.  That might be the only nitpick I have is that the enemies are abit bullet spongy.  It doesn't bother me like it does for other people, but it could use an adjustment.  At least when playing with Leon, it always felt like enemies took one or two more shots than they really should.

shatterstar69

« Reply #3994 on: January 26, 2019, 09:04:20 am »
I have never beaten an Assassin's Creed game before so I decided to tackle the series with the 52 game challenge this year.  So far I have finished 1 and 2 and currently playing Brotherhood.  I have to admit the series is quite good, don't know why I took this long to play them seriously.
Time to make the donuts!

« Reply #3995 on: January 26, 2019, 06:57:45 pm »
Playing RESIDENT EVIL 2R - loving it! It's taken the 3rd person action mechanics but gelled it with the horror an suspense of the originals... It really is the perfect blend. I also love the new adaptation of Leon, the performance was stellar and I like him much more as a character.

If I were to nit pick there is something strange with the light shading, light reflecting off the environment can be very trippy with patches of colour - I'm on PS4 pro so I don't think it's the limitations of my hardware.

But really happy with the release and intend to play as Claire tomorrow! I barely scrapped by Leon's story with the last few encounters, took many retires as I had next to nothing, to use! But I managed it!

Another gaming triumph today was beating the Data battles on Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Final Mix - something ive always wanted to do but not dared. Xaldin gave me the most trouble but when I was able to use the jump command at the later phase patterns of the fight I eventually beat him - all on critical mode
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:03:09 pm by vivigamer »

« Reply #3996 on: January 26, 2019, 09:27:21 pm »
With both Scenario A's done for Clair and Leon, jumping into Claire's Scenario B now.  Will be nice to have things different for my third run of the game.  Also using the classic costumes and classic music.  It doesn't have the same nostalgia for me, being that I was never an RE2 fan, but it shakes up things by having more regular music, as the Remake is abit minimal on that in general, and some of the classic sound effects that I recognize from other people playing the game.

« Reply #3997 on: January 31, 2019, 06:22:58 am »
Got around to finishing Claire's Scenario B and the true ending and I feel like the second scenario being barely different from the first scenario is kind of a downer note for the game.  I still love it, but this keeps it like a 9/10 rather than top tier, because the differences really only exist partially in the beginning and partially at the end.  I was expecting stuff to be much more varied and mixed up, new areas even, but you just mostly do the same stuff as Leon and it creates a real...narrative dissonance I think is what you would call it, where realistically, Claire would've been off doing her own thing elsewhere in the city, or criss-crossing with Leon more, but you don't. I'm guessing this is what the original game was like, but I think they could've done more to make it better.  This and RE7 are still my favorites, I just really wanted that extra step to really push this game to the tippy top.

Still got the extra modes to do and maybe try a Leon A speedrun for the reward. S+ runs sound ridiculous and I may get around to a hardcore run eventually.

shfan

« Reply #3998 on: January 31, 2019, 06:46:23 am »
Working my way through the 'Capcom Belt Action Collection' (the beat em up collection, Japanese physical but in English!), on Knights of the Round now, then have the 2 newer and more obscure games left to play on it. After that I hope to start Earth Defence Force 5, looking forward to it :D

« Reply #3999 on: January 31, 2019, 08:34:02 am »
Got around to finishing Claire's Scenario B and the true ending and I feel like the second scenario being barely different from the first scenario is kind of a downer note for the game.  I still love it, but this keeps it like a 9/10 rather than top tier, because the differences really only exist partially in the beginning and partially at the end.  I was expecting stuff to be much more varied and mixed up, new areas even, but you just mostly do the same stuff as Leon and it creates a real...narrative dissonance I think is what you would call it, where realistically, Claire would've been off doing her own thing elsewhere in the city, or criss-crossing with Leon more, but you don't.
I mean, there are areas that you get in Claire B that you don’t get in Leon A - Chief Irons office, the Orphange, and there are some big-ish changes (the main hall isn’t a save area) but yeah some of the puzzles could have been a little more varied.

I think the scenario B was always meant to be a little “speedrun” style bonus.  Like, let’s see how much you remember and can plow through, but we did mix some stuff up!

« Reply #4000 on: January 31, 2019, 04:44:29 pm »
I mean, there are areas that you get in Claire B that you don’t get in Leon A - Chief Irons office, the Orphange, and there are some big-ish changes (the main hall isn’t a save area) but yeah some of the puzzles could have been a little more varied.

I think the scenario B was always meant to be a little “speedrun” style bonus.  Like, let’s see how much you remember and can plow through, but we did mix some stuff up!

Claire's Campaign does have original stuff as you brought up, but the rest of the game is 85% what you do exactly as Leon and Scenario B in general is still 95% of what you do in Scenario A.  The puzzle changes are very minor too. The Sewer section is almost entirely the exact same thing with no changes that I noticed.  In the end, even with Claire's differences, it's really just playing the same singular campaign 4 times with a few variations. 

I don't hate it for sure, I'd actually would like a Scenario C that is just an overhaul of everything and make it drastically different with items and enemies to the point it almost feels like a new setting despite the same exact surroundings.  I also just would've liked to see them do more to make Claire and Leon narratives make sense by having Claire do much of her own thing and only intertwining her into certain sections and that it was more clear that maybe Claire was following in his steps at times and not doing stuff in a parallel world lol

But I can't harp on it too much really, it's a remake of what they generally did on PS1, so they could only change so much.

*EDIT*
Oh boy that 4th Survivor mode is rough lol Rough in that it's hard as you play Hunk escaping from the sewers and needing to get to the police station, running as fast as you can to escape while trying to not get stopped for too long, dodging every creature in the game.  Big focus on managing your inventory you start with and making it last.  I got most of the way through it on my 4th try, but got killed due to misjudging the downtime a shotgun attack does to the plant creatures.  Not normally into challenge modes, but I think I can manage this with a few more tries and some luck.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:09:22 pm by kamikazekeeg »

mark1982

« Reply #4001 on: February 01, 2019, 10:10:36 am »
Battle Princess Madelyn on the Switch - Fun 2D side scroller with similarities to Ghouls n Ghosts. Having a blast so far. The UI is a bit different on the Switch though.

-------------

l    l 

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4002 on: February 01, 2019, 12:04:23 pm »
Battle Princess Madelyn on the Switch - Fun 2D side scroller with similarities to Ghouls n Ghosts. Having a blast so far. The UI is a bit different on the Switch though.

-------------

Did you get your physical copy?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:07:26 pm by turf »

mark1982

« Reply #4003 on: February 01, 2019, 12:24:28 pm »
Did you get your physical copy?

Yep, got an Asia version, has full English support.
  l    l 

« Reply #4004 on: February 01, 2019, 04:36:13 pm »
Geez, that looks really good.  I have so many of these retro throwback games I've been bookmarking to pick up eventually, because they all look great lol