Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 515432 times)

pzeke

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #4185 on: November 01, 2019, 01:55:52 pm »
I've been playing ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat for the NDS on and off for the past three years. I'm well aware that's too long a time for such a relatively short game, but the darn thing is a chore if I'm being honest. The game is a tactical, turn-based RPG divided in chapters, and while some go by fast, the rest tend to protract, sometimes for nearly or about an hour. And this is coming from someone who's basically overpowered by now. I somewhat like the game, but my soul weeps whenever I sit down and play. I’m nearing the end of the game, though; 7 chapters left to go, if I’m not mistaken.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

kashell

« Reply #4186 on: November 01, 2019, 03:06:23 pm »
With Phantasy Star IV finished, I'm in the mood for a more lengthy RPG. Some friends on another forum have been raving about Trails of Cold Steel III, so I decided to finally give the series a chance. I started Trails of Cold Steel on the Vita.

We'll see how this goes.

shfan

« Reply #4187 on: November 01, 2019, 07:30:26 pm »
Super Mario Sticker Star on the 3DS. I love the cut-back story, small cast and the neat little touches throughout, but the whole sticker schtick is a mess. No end of times I've had to consult a FAQ because it's clear as mud which sticker you need to progress, or whether a sticker is needed at all, or if an invisible block needs to be found to form a bridge, then if you use the wrong sticker it's gone and wasted and you have to go back and find or purchase another or try the next one. Far too much trial and error, probably had more problems progressing with this than with Demon's Souls, which is now beaten while I rattle on with Sticker Star.

« Reply #4188 on: November 05, 2019, 06:25:08 am »
Wasn't sure if I was gonna play Gears 5 so soon after Gears 4, thought they would be too samey and they sorta are, but Gears 5 actually has noticeably improved itself from Gears 4.  Movement feels better, smoother, less like trying to maneuver a tank around like the past Gears games were.  The Jack bot you get is a handy tool and there looks to be a small semi open world section to run around in which is kinda nice in a series that's primarily been very linear in the past.  Definitely a step up for the series.

« Reply #4189 on: November 22, 2019, 04:01:38 am »
Playing through the new Star Wars game and while overall it's very nice, it's good having a legit Star Wars game again with no shenanigans going on, I feel like I'm still kinda not clicking with the combat.  I understand it mechanically no problem, it's basically just a simpler Souls-style gameplay, keeping track of stamina, don't spam attacks, use your force abilities and try to open up creatures and people, but it comes across both stiff and loose at times, so I end up having some sloppy fights.  Not even playing on the harder difficulty, I think I'm on the 2 or 3rd hardest because I know the game will be too easy otherwise, but I don't know...It doesn't help that the AI is a tad rough, but think I'm kinda just waiting for a new force mechanic to help improve my experience like Force Push, which I don't have yet.  Just need something that gives me some range attacks.  What I wouldn't give for a quick use blaster lol

Other than not being in love with the gameplay right now, the game is solid.  Just need to see if I can cleanup the framerate on PC.  It drops  when rotating the camera, but not enough to be a problem, it's just noticeable when the game is otherwise so smooth.

« Reply #4190 on: November 22, 2019, 09:16:55 am »
Finished MGS4 last night.  Gonna start up Peace Walker tonight.

kashell

« Reply #4191 on: November 22, 2019, 10:02:51 am »
Romancing SaGa 3 on the Switch. It's great having an official version of it in English.

Perfect world idea: Square releases a physical copy of it bundled with Romancing SaGa 2.

telly

« Reply #4192 on: November 23, 2019, 01:03:30 pm »
I'm about 13 hours into Hollow Knight. Really digging the game at this point. Beautiful and fun to play, how can you go wrong lol
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #4193 on: November 23, 2019, 04:50:34 pm »
I'm about 13 hours into Hollow Knight. Really digging the game at this point. Beautiful and fun to play, how can you go wrong lol

It’s really incredible and is some of the best value per dollar that you can get out of any game, period.  I’d say it is my 2017 GotY - even over Breath of the Wild

« Reply #4194 on: November 25, 2019, 11:27:18 am »
I WAS playing Drakengard 3. I was ENJOYING Drakengard 3. Then I got to the Branch D unlock, and learned of the 'requirement' (if you've played it, you know what I mean.)

I don't want to play anymore. :(

kashell

« Reply #4195 on: November 25, 2019, 12:46:02 pm »
I WAS playing Drakengard 3. I was ENJOYING Drakengard 3. Then I got to the Branch D unlock, and learned of the 'requirement' (if you've played it, you know what I mean.)

Yeah...I've never hated and loved a song so much at the same time until Branch D.

FWIW, there are some videos out there you can use to make it easier. You basically set the video up alongside your television and press the button prompts on the video.

« Reply #4196 on: November 25, 2019, 08:44:28 pm »

Yeah...I've never hated and loved a song so much at the same time until Branch D.

FWIW, there are some videos out there you can use to make it easier. You basically set the video up alongside your television and press the button prompts on the video.

Oh, I haven't even made it into Branch D yet... I still need to grind for gold to finish the collection!

I've read of the song & I'm not super worried about it- I love rythmn games, I'm hoping the skills will transfer.

shfan

« Reply #4197 on: November 26, 2019, 04:23:23 am »
Sounds ominous :S Drakengard 3 is one I want to start playing at some point, have to try Drakengard 2 first. Abandoned the first one (again) earlier in the year and marked it as 'null' on Backloggery, it's unplayable, but I love the concept.

kashell

« Reply #4198 on: November 26, 2019, 09:10:53 am »
You're honestly not missing much by skipping Drakengard 2 since Yoko Taro is nowhere to be found. The game isn't nearly as bizarre as the first, either.

« Reply #4199 on: November 26, 2019, 12:04:25 pm »
Sounds ominous :S Drakengard 3 is one I want to start playing at some point, have to try Drakengard 2 first. Abandoned the first one (again) earlier in the year and marked it as 'null' on Backloggery, it's unplayable, but I love the concept.

I can't speak for what's in Branch D yet, but the rest isn't quite so bad as it sounds, just annoying.

Basically, the game moves at a good solid pace right up until the last area, when you go face-first into an incredible grind wall. None of it's hard, per se, but it's so obviously a thing added to force you to play a few hours longer it's off-putting.

Play it anyway- it's extremely enjoyable up until that point, and if you decide against the grind there's always YouTube.