Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 512571 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #4410 on: March 06, 2021, 08:58:39 pm »
Picked up what would be considered my first "serious" VR game, like I've had Beat Saber since getting my Quest 2, but getting a game with a story and trying to bring you into a world, I decided to grab Walking Dead: Saint and Sinners.  Not super deep into it, my headset needed to charge up, so I mostly just got through the intro, but it's interesting.  The movement is kinda cool, stabbing and shooting zombies, interacting with stuff, though I feel like the game has an issue with the sitting position, because grabbing at your hips for weapons is awkward, even on a big couch, and getting ammo is real goofy because you are supposed to reach for your waist up front, but it's basically grabbing at your crotch, and I find it really hard to reach there...which has nothing to do with being fat, it's just not positioned right lol I need to go check to see if there are HUD options to fix this as it would make for the full game to be kinda awkward.

This also does kinda emphasize the downside of the Quest 2, which is the resolution.  The game isn't graphically impressive, even on higher end things, it's kinda cartoonish, more like the Telltale games than realistic, but the resolution of the Quest 2 makes it feel like it's in a stretched 720p or something.  It runs smooth, but the quality isn't the best, but that is what I sacrifice I guess to have it be completely cordless and more affordable.  It makes me want to try something high end like the Index or Vive to see what the higher end headsets are like.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4411 on: March 07, 2021, 04:37:29 am »
Rock Band 4 It's been a long time since I played a Rock Band game but it still alot of fun.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4412 on: March 07, 2021, 03:05:25 pm »
Currently playing, Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes. I'm enjoying some Wii games these days and this game was a great suprise!
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

kashell

« Reply #4413 on: March 08, 2021, 09:14:11 am »
I've been playing the Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection on Switch. I have a soft spot for Samurai Shodown III, but Samurai Shodown V Special is probably the best of the bunch and the one I've been spending the most time with.

« Reply #4414 on: March 09, 2021, 11:48:31 pm »
Ended up catching a World of Warcraft stream the other day and it kinda tickled my interest in the game a tad, so sorta started running around in the early game you are allowed before doing a subscription. I'm an OG WoW play from back in the day, before any of the expansions came out, I still remember hitting Molten Core a whole bunch lol I played into Burning Crusade, but then sorta fell off of it.  I kinda poked back in off and on after that for short bouts up till Pandaria, but that was about it.  It's interesting to see the games visual overhaul for sure, and I'm just not sure if I'm ready to take a full dive back in.  I picked a Goblin Warrior for the heck of it (Was an Undead Rogue back in the day, but I think they deleted that character or something, not sure what happened) and make stick with her for now as I kinda like the idea of a tiny tank.  Don't know if I'll get a sub, I think I'm sorta just wanting a new timesink after I dumped so many hours into Rust and Valheim recently. 

kashell

« Reply #4415 on: March 15, 2021, 02:40:59 pm »
I'm about 20 hours into Dragon Quest IV for the DS. Of the games I've played so far in the series, I think this one might be my favorite. It reminds me a lot of Wild Arms, so that's an added bonus.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4416 on: March 15, 2021, 03:25:40 pm »
I'm about 20 hours into Dragon Quest IV for the DS. Of the games I've played so far in the series, I think this one might be my favorite. It reminds me a lot of Wild Arms, so that's an added bonus.

My favorite entry in the series. Love that each character got an opening chapter to introduce them.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4417 on: March 15, 2021, 10:26:11 pm »
I finally broke away from Diablo 3. I started and finished Shovel Knight again. This is a mutha truckin’  masterpiece!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4418 on: March 16, 2021, 11:35:20 am »
I finally broke away from Diablo 3. I started and finished Shovel Knight again. This is a mutha truckin’  masterpiece!

Love that game so much. Easily a favorite of mine. The platforming and upgrade system is divine.

I really liked the expansion where the character played like Ninja Gaiden, too. But the rest of the expansions just didn't live up to the original Shovel Knight, IMO.

telly

« Reply #4419 on: March 16, 2021, 12:22:52 pm »

Love that game so much. Easily a favorite of mine. The platforming and upgrade system is divine.

I really liked the expansion where the character played like Ninja Gaiden, too. But the rest of the expansions just didn't live up to the original Shovel Knight, IMO.

Obviously the OG Shovel Knight campaign is fantastic. I enjoyed Plague of Shadows just as much as Shovel of Hope. I thought Specter of Torment was a step down from those two, with King of Cards being another step down from Specter of Torment. They're all great though.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #4420 on: March 22, 2021, 08:33:36 am »

My favorite entry in the series. Love that each character got an opening chapter to introduce them.
I've only played DQ for the first time in recent years and DQ4 is definitely my favorite entry as well.  It was also my first entry.  I have fond memories of all of the DQ games I've played, but I really enjoyed the structure of that game.

I really need to get to playing DQ 1-3.

Anyway, I'm playing Yakuza Like a Dragon and Persona 2: Innocent Sin.

« Reply #4421 on: March 22, 2021, 09:07:39 am »

Obviously the OG Shovel Knight campaign is fantastic. I enjoyed Plague of Shadows just as much as Shovel of Hope. I thought Specter of Torment was a step down from those two, with King of Cards being another step down from Specter of Torment. They're all great though.

I'm a huge SK fan, too.  None of the expansions touch the original campaign, but admire them for trying something different every time.  I don't really like how Plague of Shadows plays, Specter of Torment is probably the best / most balanced of the three, and if Joustus were more fun to play King of Cards would be my favorite of the set - but it's no Gwent.

« Reply #4422 on: April 28, 2021, 02:47:13 am »
Is this also considered a review thread, or should that be separate? Cuz I like reviewing the games I play.... here’s my latest example.

I beat Mummy Demastered tonight.

It’s fitting I got the bad ending, and I can’t seem to figure out why. Without spoiling anything, I know what I have to do to get the good ending, but the game just kills my character while I am in midst of completing that task, and there’s no explanation for it.

I have a feeling the solution lies in exploring the last few % of the rooms, and uncovering the last special items. I might one day attempt this, but since the game itself offers no explanation, and hence no motivation to do it, why should I put forth the effort?

So, since Wayforward thought so little of the player as to allow in-game mechanics to go unexplained (and allow the player to accidentally thwart him or herself) for far too long, and to skimp on the budget for quality assurance, I too will shortchange them (ha! Joke’s on me, obviously) by not fleshing out this review, and simply put everything into very short sentences.

Uninspired storytelling. Mediocre pixel art. Good soundtrack but lacking depth. Lackluster map design. Entirely too predictable power ups. Fun weapons. Hidden walls with no rhyme or reason. Cheap attempts to add difficulty by using 8 bit style vertical platforming (not like Bunny Must Die, which was creative and fresh, and you wanted to do it).

This is a by-the-numbers metroidvania if there ever was one. It’s like they made it using a checklist of what a game in the genre should have, sans creativity. This game is sex.... while wearing a Kevlar condom: you’re going through the motions, but the feelings aren’t there.

2.5 stars if it were debugged and didn’t allow the player to screw up entirely without explanation. As is, 2 stars. Way backwards.
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

kashell

« Reply #4423 on: May 02, 2021, 03:35:02 pm »
I've been playing a lot of the new Samurai Shodown, experimenting with the Season 1 and Season 2 DLC characters. I think I've settled on Basara as a main and Sogetsu as a sub. That said, it's an all around excellent roster. I wish this series got more attention.

« Reply #4424 on: May 10, 2021, 02:27:37 pm »

It is definitely my favorite. So many folks say V is their favorite, but I'm always like, "did we play the same games?" IV is fantastic! The characters are so unique, and the combat in the DS version is superb and accessible, but still challenging based on the characters you choose.

I'm really into Cyber Punk themed games right now so I'm trying to play through the Deus Ex series. I have no prior experience with Deus Ex, so I'm starting with Human Revolution (WiiU version), then Mankind Divided (Xbox, excited as they just added this to the FPS boost list), then back to the original (I have the PS2 version; I've heard this is a surprisingly good port, even better in some ways than the original PC).