Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 515114 times)

slipknotsam

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1485 on: August 05, 2014, 11:01:50 am »
I started Bravely Default yesterday, I just love what I saw so far! Anyone here completed it? How did you find it? (No spoilers please..)
Now Playing:
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Catherine (PS3) - Working towards the platinum.
Ni No Kuni (PS3)

Speedrunning:
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (SNES)

maximo310

« Reply #1486 on: August 05, 2014, 01:27:45 pm »
I started Bravely Default yesterday, I just love what I saw so far! Anyone here completed it? How did you find it? (No spoilers please..)
I played through the game and beat it a few months ago. Really fun experience especially since the gameplay+ job system gives you a lot of options to how you want to develop your characters' abilities. The music, composed by Linked Horizon(Revo as its leader) is also great to listen to as you go through the game, and I liked the monster designs quite a bit.  Only cons I would list is that the story is kind of average and flat, and that there is a section of the game near the end that involves beating a series of 4 bosses for 4 different times. Alot of people had issues with that part of the game being tedious, but if you just want to blaze through it, you can use the same strategies to defeat each boss and that saves some time. I'd personally give it a 9/10.

slipknotsam

« Reply #1487 on: August 05, 2014, 01:32:03 pm »
I played through the game and beat it a few months ago. Really fun experience especially since the gameplay+ job system gives you a lot of options to how you want to develop your characters' abilities. The music, composed by Linked Horizon(Revo as its leader) is also great to listen to as you go through the game, and I liked the monster designs quite a bit.  Only cons I would list is that the story is kind of average and flat, and that there is a section of the game near the end that involves beating a series of 4 bosses for 4 different times. Alot of people had issues with that part of the game being tedious, but if you just want to blaze through it, you can use the same strategies to defeat each boss and that saves some time. I'd personally give it a 9/10.
Thanks a lot! That's appreciated. I am eager to go further into the game. What are you playing as of right now?
Now Playing:
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Ni No Kuni (PS3)

Speedrunning:

maximo310

« Reply #1488 on: August 05, 2014, 01:36:36 pm »
Thanks a lot! That's appreciated. I am eager to go further into the game. What are you playing as of right now?
Right now, I'm doing a quick run of Super Mario Sunshine, along with unlocking stuff in Super Smash Bros Melee on consoles. For handhelds, I started out with Shin Megami Tensei IV just a few days ago.

slipknotsam

« Reply #1489 on: August 05, 2014, 01:39:06 pm »
Right now, I'm doing a quick run of Super Mario Sunshine, along with unlocking stuff in Super Smash Bros Melee on consoles. For handhelds, I started out with Shin Megami Tensei IV just a few days ago.
F*ck Yeah Sunshine! :D
What about Shin Megami Tensei? What is it like?
Now Playing:
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Ni No Kuni (PS3)

Speedrunning:

maximo310

« Reply #1490 on: August 05, 2014, 02:29:39 pm »
F*ck Yeah Sunshine! :D
What about Shin Megami Tensei? What is it like?
Well, I heard before I played the game that it is a dungeon-crawler that has some rpg elements in regards to its battle system, which gives the player(or enemy) extra actions if they hit a character on the opposing side with a attack that they are weak against. You are also encouraged to scout out and recruit demons to your side for additional attacks, elemental support, and they can get stronger by leveling up and being combined with other demons to form new monsters. In this installment, you start out in medival kingdom called Mikado where you become a Samurai, and are ordered to go on different missions to combat demons that starts off within Mikado Castle, but soon exapnds to other areas of the kingdom.  The difficulty for this is very high, as if you are not careful with protecting yourself and your allies from weakness attacks, you will get wiped out pretty quickly, and weaknesses are your key to surviving many of the challenges the game throws at you.

argyle

« Reply #1491 on: August 05, 2014, 02:58:40 pm »
Jumped back into AC4:Black Flag last night and once I got reacclimated to the controls I had a lot of fun just exploring islands and attacking random ships.  Great game! :D  My goal is to have it finished by the time Xillia 2 comes out later this month, which shouldn't be a problem at all. 

On the portable side, I'm really enjoying Dragon's Crown on my Vita.  I know I said I was going to be playing Chrono Trigger...but I left my Vita in my mom's car after driving her around last week, and she lives 40 miles away.  She & my dad are coming up this Friday tho to go on the world's longest yard sale w/ my wife & I, so I'll get it back then. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

soera

« Reply #1492 on: August 05, 2014, 03:02:08 pm »

Bravely Default is among my top 10 favorite gaming experiences. Forget all the stupid reviews you read out there about how boring and repetitive the ending may be ... it works out to be a fantastic time. The characters are all endearing in their own way. Im anxiously awaiting the announcement of a sequel.

slipknotsam

« Reply #1493 on: August 05, 2014, 03:07:50 pm »

Bravely Default is among my top 10 favorite gaming experiences. Forget all the stupid reviews you read out there about how boring and repetitive the ending may be ... it works out to be a fantastic time. The characters are all endearing in their own way. Im anxiously awaiting the announcement of a sequel.
Great! I believe Bravely Second was in production for a while am I right? But there was some problems and the executive producer left or something? Am I correct?
Now Playing:
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Ni No Kuni (PS3)

Speedrunning:

maximo310

« Reply #1494 on: August 05, 2014, 03:32:16 pm »

Great! I believe Bravely Second was in production for a while am I right? But there was some problems and the executive producer left or something? Am I correct?
The producer did leave, but he states that he's still working on the series. The game is currently almost complete but the team is polishing up the visuals of the game, and the only recent news is the soundtrack will not be done by Revo, but by ryo from the band Supercell.
And Soera, that ending was pretty good despite how alot of people were making a big stink about it, besides the characters make up for it too. Hell, the game inspired me to pick up the offical artbook because of how nice the game looks, as well as the digital soundtrack.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:37:23 pm by maximo310 »

« Reply #1495 on: August 06, 2014, 05:26:24 pm »
Decided to go back and finish Resident Evil 6.  I had only beaten Leon's and did part of Ada's campaign before.  It still really bugs me how much of an over-complicated disaster this game was, not even when looking at it as a failed Resident Evil title.  It's still very playable and it's not the worst thing ever, but man...I'm constantly going "Well this should be here and that should be different and why did they design it this way and WHY THE HELL ARE THERE SO MANY SHITTY QUICKTIME EVENTS WITH WEIRD BUTTON CHOICES!".

foxhack

« Reply #1496 on: August 06, 2014, 06:19:50 pm »
Went back to Borderlands to get the achievements I'm missing.

And Gearbox can go straight to hell for making the Pizza drops incredibly scarce.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1497 on: August 06, 2014, 08:37:38 pm »
Started playing Nier last night. lots of things that I can complain about that some people will think are nitpicks. Circle button confirm, knockback is crazy far, and the dodge input seems to me to have a delay. But so far I really enjoy the combat and the story so far.

« Reply #1498 on: August 06, 2014, 08:38:25 pm »
And just when I was about to give RE6 some kudos for the real creepy end section of the ship level in Ada's campaign, the immediate level after is entirely a super crappy chopper turret section that makes no sense most of the time, and then ends with that shitty boss fight on the walkways with the bad guy.   Dammit, Capcom lol

bobster

« Reply #1499 on: August 06, 2014, 09:42:33 pm »
Started playing Nier last night. lots of things that I can complain about that some people will think are nitpicks. Circle button confirm, knockback is crazy far, and the dodge input seems to me to have a delay. But so far I really enjoy the combat and the story so far.
I know lots of people love Nier, but I'm the guy that just randomly picked up the game one day for cheap and played it. To me, it has a surprisingly in depth story and fun game play. While I didn't get every ending in the game, I played it a couple times to get some of the different endings. That is incredibly unusual for me. I was super surprised by how good the game was.

Also, and I may be completely wrong in this, it seems like it might be related to Drakengard? Comments from others on the forum have insinuated that, so it's actually interested me in trying to find the Drakengard games. I hope you enjoy the game!
Currently Playing: The Witcher