Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514984 times)

abe

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1830 on: January 28, 2015, 10:51:22 am »
I recently started playing Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the Overlord on the PS3. I quite like what I've played of it so far and was enjoying it up until my PS3 froze and I lost a bunch of progress through a long cutscene. :-\ On the side I'm also playing Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender DX and Swapper on the PS4. Aqua Kitty is a really fun and challenging cat-themed shmup. Swapper is a really interesting puzzle game that reminds me a lot of Metroid, but free of enemies and focused heavily on puzzles.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1831 on: January 28, 2015, 12:19:32 pm »
I played Tales of Symphonia on GameCube for a couple hours yesterday.

It's just not for me. I can see that it has some GORGEOUS animated cutscenes, and that it had a lot of thought put into the combat-system and the characters.

But the characters and story feel just a little too juvenile for my tastes. It feels like an anime story for a kid, like something you'd see in Shonen Jump.

I think I'm gonna sell my copy and just focus on Dragon Quest VIII for now.

desocietas

« Reply #1832 on: January 28, 2015, 01:24:22 pm »
I played Tales of Symphonia on GameCube for a couple hours yesterday.

It's just not for me. I can see that it has some GORGEOUS animated cutscenes, and that it had a lot of thought put into the combat-system and the characters.

But the characters and story feel just a little too juvenile for my tastes. It feels like an anime story for a kid, like something you'd see in Shonen Jump.

I think I'm gonna sell my copy and just focus on Dragon Quest VIII for now.

Tales games can do that.  They can be a little too cutesy, and I have to be in the mood to be in that world.  I have a lot of Tales  games waiting for me, but I'm not interested in any of them at the moment.

I'm getting a little anxious to get back into Freedom Wars.  The bf is really enjoying the few hours of Battleblock Theater that we were playing, but I think I want to jump back into Abyss Odyssey if we could.

Otherwise, I'm still slogging through (and loving) my first full playthrough of Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana.  Over 60 hours in, and still so much to do, it seems!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #1833 on: January 28, 2015, 06:47:38 pm »
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon and Pikmin 3

kashell

« Reply #1834 on: January 29, 2015, 08:05:49 am »
Otherwise, I'm still slogging through (and loving) my first full playthrough of Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana.  Over 60 hours in, and still so much to do, it seems!

The first Atelier Iris is actually the least polished of the three, so I think you'll really enjoy Azoth of Destiny and Grand Phantasm if you like Eternal Mana. I will say Grand Phantasm feels the least like a proper Atelier, though.

Tales games can do that.  They can be a little too cutesy, and I have to be in the mood to be in that world.

I mean...Atelier is far more "cutesy" than Tales but, whatever floats the proverbial boat. ^^()

As for me, I stopped playing FFXII because zzzzz. In the mean time, I've been playing lots of Guilty Gear Xrd and have been attempting to get all of my online related trophies. Thanks to some fine folks on the PSN boards, I have been able to knock out a few of them.

desocietas

« Reply #1835 on: January 29, 2015, 02:38:35 pm »

Tales games can do that.  They can be a little too cutesy, and I have to be in the mood to be in that world.

I mean...Atelier is far more "cutesy" than Tales but, whatever floats the proverbial boat. ^^()

As for me, I stopped playing FFXII because zzzzz. In the mean time, I've been playing lots of Guilty Gear Xrd and have been attempting to get all of my online related trophies. Thanks to some fine folks on the PSN boards, I have been able to knock out a few of them.

Haha, you got me there with Tales.  I guess it's the parts about the chatter on the field that comes off as a bit "too much" for me.  I really enjoyed that mechanic when I was younger, but something about it now doesn't appeal to me unless I'm feeling it.  I'm also basing this on Abyss and Symphonia; things could be much different for the newer Tales games (which I'm still buying).

And I'm actually looking forward to the next time I play FFXII, ha.  I really enjoyed it (I got stuck in the rich city and quit at that point).  The cities can be a bit much, but it was nice when I was in the mood to really explore and take in each new place.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

davifus

« Reply #1836 on: January 29, 2015, 04:14:44 pm »

Haha, you got me there with Tales.  I guess it's the parts about the chatter on the field that comes off as a bit "too much" for me.  I really enjoyed that mechanic when I was younger, but something about it now doesn't appeal to me unless I'm feeling it.  I'm also basing this on Abyss and Symphonia; things could be much different for the newer Tales games (which I'm still buying).

And I'm actually looking forward to the next time I play FFXII, ha.  I really enjoyed it (I got stuck in the rich city and quit at that point).  The cities can be a bit much, but it was nice when I was in the mood to really explore and take in each new place.

FFXII in a nutshell

Bottom of the barrel FF game for me. I had to power level to make things go faster. Stopped at Bahamut (pretty much at the end of the game).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:16:41 pm by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #1837 on: February 02, 2015, 01:21:50 pm »
Started far cry 4

desocietas

« Reply #1838 on: February 02, 2015, 01:25:48 pm »

FFXII in a nutshell

Bottom of the barrel FF game for me. I had to power level to make things go faster. Stopped at Bahamut (pretty much at the end of the game).

Haha, well, I know a lot of folks who agree with you.  I'm not a diehard FF fan, though. I enjoy them, but I never played VII or VI or any of the "good" ones but do own a number of them.  I found myself drawn a little more to Dragon Quest and other RPGs.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

abe

« Reply #1839 on: February 04, 2015, 09:52:20 am »
I've been playing the demo for Code Name S.T.E.A.M. on the 3DS. It's pretty good so far, and I'm considering picking up the game after it releases. I wasn't sure what to expect from the trailers I've seen on the game, but the demo has convinced me that it's worth buying. The Amiibo compatibility in the full release will be cool too.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1840 on: February 04, 2015, 12:09:00 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't call it "cutesy" for the Tales of Symphonia. I mean, it didn't have the huge cutesy eyes or furries for characters or anything like that. It just seemed a little juvenile for me. Like I said in the first post regarding it, it felt like a story from Shonen Jump. Something made for little boys that like anime/manga.

I've got to say, though, those animated cutscenes really did look gorgeous, though.

desocietas

« Reply #1841 on: February 04, 2015, 03:12:41 pm »
I fired up Darkest Dungeon last night on Steam, and that game can be intense.  It really gives me a good DnD feel about it with some excellent gothic 2D art.  It's on early access right now for $20, and both me and the bf played last night and were still jonesing for it after 2am...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

pacpix

« Reply #1842 on: February 05, 2015, 02:09:12 am »
I fired up Darkest Dungeon last night on Steam, and that game can be intense.  It really gives me a good DnD feel about it with some excellent gothic 2D art.  It's on early access right now for $20, and both me and the bf played last night and were still jonesing for it after 2am...

Just watched the trailers for this game on Steam.  The game looks awesome!  Not sure if I will wait for the full release or purchase the early access, but either way I have no plans on missing this one.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

funeria

« Reply #1843 on: February 07, 2015, 04:38:26 pm »
Working through a few right now. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Wii U), Assassin's Creed 3 (Wii U), and Splinter Cell Blacklist (Wii U). Going between NG3 and Assassin's Creed does a number on my brain! XD I play one for a bit and then I'll go to the other and get the combat systems mixed up...

Funeria~
"Pain, the price of devotion. Devotion, the price of pain..." - Steve Naghavi (And One)

deadtraumfrau.blogspot.com

desocietas

« Reply #1844 on: February 08, 2015, 10:34:00 pm »
Spent the weekend playing Starbound - really enjoyable little game :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas