Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 514988 times)

davifus

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #2160 on: September 10, 2015, 06:18:23 pm »
Killing Floor 2 Early Access. I can't wait for the full release @ April.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #2161 on: September 10, 2015, 08:39:13 pm »
Ace Combat Zero. I think I'm about halfway through. It's really good so far, although it doesn't seem to play nice with my third party PS2 controller, the analog sticks are overly sensitive.

desocietas

« Reply #2162 on: September 10, 2015, 08:52:25 pm »
I popped in Legend of Mana and SaGa Frontier 2 last night to reminisce about the PS1 a little, and boy, did all the memories come flooding back.  And what beautiful, charming games they are! Just in the hour and a half or so that I messed around with the two, I was reminded how much I love RPGs and what about them drew me in in the first place.

Definitely pickups for folks who are RPG lovers. I know that a lot of folks who played Secret of Mana first were very disappointed by what Legend of Mana was, but it's a charming game all on its own.

I've never played SaGa Frontier 1 - has anyone had any experience with it?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

telly

« Reply #2163 on: September 10, 2015, 09:01:11 pm »

Ask Kashell!  ;D
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #2164 on: September 11, 2015, 08:31:54 am »

Ask Kashell!  ;D

Y'all rang? ^^

My favorite game of all time! I played through it at least 10 times, each experience provided me with something different. So, yes. I have had plenty of experience with it and I'm already looking forward to my next file.

desocietas

« Reply #2165 on: September 11, 2015, 02:22:05 pm »

Ask Kashell!  ;D

Y'all rang? ^^

My favorite game of all time! I played through it at least 10 times, each experience provided me with something different. So, yes. I have had plenty of experience with it and I'm already looking forward to my next file.

Haha, nice to know!  It's been on my wishlist for a long time... Did you think it was a big departure from SaGa Frontier 1 to 2? Do they relate to each other at all?  I haven't finished 2, and I played it like 10 years ago, so I don't recall the story, but I just remember loving the watercolor artwork and the interesting timeline choices you could make.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #2166 on: September 11, 2015, 02:54:10 pm »
Haha, nice to know!  It's been on my wishlist for a long time... Did you think it was a big departure from SaGa Frontier 1 to 2? Do they relate to each other at all?  I haven't finished 2, and I played it like 10 years ago, so I don't recall the story, but I just remember loving the watercolor artwork and the interesting timeline choices you could make.

SaGa Frontier 2 is vastly different from the first. SF is a traditional SaGa game that plops one of seven characters in the world and lets you proceed how you want. They call it the Free Scenario System, which is something that has been used since Super Famicom days. SF2 is super linear. There is very little backtracking and the game will punish you if you rush areas too quickly. There are also various points of no return that have high difficulty spikes that, again, need to be taken into account before rushing too quickly since you essentially "run out" of places of to develop your team.

You can play the games in any order since they're not related. SF is more of a techno-inspired, steampunk/anime world whereas SF2 is a typical medieval setting. The narrative is much heavier in SF2 and has more lore and history whereas SF's story takes a backseat to adventuring.

Both games feature the classic SaGa-ism of "sparking" new moves, but there are other ways to learn them in SF2. You'll learn more skills by combining moves in one-on-one duels, which are a blast. That said, SaGa has always been known for fun battles and both games deliver on this front. It's the subtle features that differentiate the two.

I hope that helps. If you do play SaGa Frontier, I recommend not starting the game with either Lute or Riki. Lute has the potential to go straight to the final boss if you're not careful, which can lead to some permascrewed adventuring. Riki is a monster and it's better to recruit one in a party before you play as one. I tell people to go with Red for their first choice, but it's really up to you.

telly

« Reply #2167 on: September 11, 2015, 04:10:58 pm »
Think I'm going to start up Suikoden, luckily it isn't that long of an RPG. Then I'll really bug my buddy to let me play Earthbound  ;)

I lied, looks like I'll be playing Earthbound instead  8)

Currently Playing:

desocietas

« Reply #2168 on: September 11, 2015, 05:13:24 pm »

SaGa Frontier 2 is vastly different from the first. SF is a traditional SaGa game that plops one of seven characters in the world and lets you proceed how you want. They call it the Free Scenario System, which is something that has been used since Super Famicom days. SF2 is super linear. There is very little backtracking and the game will punish you if you rush areas too quickly. There are also various points of no return that have high difficulty spikes that, again, need to be taken into account before rushing too quickly since you essentially "run out" of places of to develop your team.

You can play the games in any order since they're not related. SF is more of a techno-inspired, steampunk/anime world whereas SF2 is a typical medieval setting. The narrative is much heavier in SF2 and has more lore and history whereas SF's story takes a backseat to adventuring.

Both games feature the classic SaGa-ism of "sparking" new moves, but there are other ways to learn them in SF2. You'll learn more skills by combining moves in one-on-one duels, which are a blast. That said, SaGa has always been known for fun battles and both games deliver on this front. It's the subtle features that differentiate the two.

I hope that helps. If you do play SaGa Frontier, I recommend not starting the game with either Lute or Riki. Lute has the potential to go straight to the final boss if you're not careful, which can lead to some permascrewed adventuring. Riki is a monster and it's better to recruit one in a party before you play as one. I tell people to go with Red for their first choice, but it's really up to you.

Awesome, I figured the two were probably not related, similar to what happened between Secret of Mana and Legend of Mana.  Thanks so much for the info!  Yeah, I recall vaguely about some difficulty issues of being underleveled with a party in SG2 and not really being able to do anything about it, so I'm glad it wasn't just something that I was missing out on but rather playing the game more strategically.  Also the fact that the games are related makes me super psyched about the rumors of another SaGa being worked on... I hope it comes out west, whatever it is :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2169 on: September 11, 2015, 09:38:45 pm »
I remember playing SaGa Frontier back in 98. I was really confused how to play it. I did not have a lot of RPG experience and definitely had not played a game quite as open ended as the first game on Playstation is. I enjoyed SaGa Frontier 2 a lot more, but as mentioned by kashell - it can be brutal if you don't follow the correct pace.

Currently I am playing Final Fantasy XIV. I have never played a MMO before so this is my first experience. At first I felt kind of lost, but at the same time I was really enjoying it. Now I am at the point that I am worrying about end game quests because I don't have a lot of time to devote to it and I haven't made any friends online yet.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

soera

« Reply #2170 on: September 12, 2015, 12:33:49 am »
MMOs are my bread and butter. Dont worry about end game right now. Build your character, learn what you can and can not do. Eventually you will get to the point where you want to do bigger stuff then search out a guild that suits your time frame and what you want. You will meet people there and end game stuff will come with that as well.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2171 on: September 12, 2015, 01:38:39 am »
MMOs are my bread and butter. Dont worry about end game right now. Build your character, learn what you can and can not do. Eventually you will get to the point where you want to do bigger stuff then search out a guild that suits your time frame and what you want. You will meet people there and end game stuff will come with that as well.

Thanks for the post.  ;D I am learning all the roles. I really had no idea that most work off of the same principles (tank, healer, dps). Then it didn't help when I started reading the Final Fantasy XIV forums and seeing people argue over what each role should be doing (like how to distribute the attribute points, gear for strength or vitality, etc...). I'm going to just keep plugging away and hope all will make sense in due time.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

90snostalga

« Reply #2172 on: September 12, 2015, 09:52:11 pm »
Just started playing Fable 2. Already 10 minutes in and I'm hooked!

abe

« Reply #2173 on: September 12, 2015, 10:15:31 pm »
Think I'm going to start up Suikoden, luckily it isn't that long of an RPG. Then I'll really bug my buddy to let me play Earthbound  ;)

Enjoy! ;D

I bought and started playing the WiiU VC version of Earthbound recently. :) I'll never get tired of replaying it.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

telly

« Reply #2174 on: September 12, 2015, 11:31:27 pm »

Enjoy! ;D

I bought and started playing the WiiU VC version of Earthbound recently. :) I'll never get tired of replaying it.

Nice! We'll both be playing it through together then! :D
Currently Playing: