Author Topic: An Xbox One perplexing problem....  (Read 4180 times)

kr2nist

An Xbox One perplexing problem....
« on: December 29, 2014, 02:44:48 am »
So I have this mind-bending technical issue that I've been experiencing with my Xbox One and was wondering if anybody had any idea as to why it's happening and what I could possibly do to remedy this aggravation (other than selling it for parts or taking a baseball bat to it...lol!)....

Earlier this year, I had gotten an Xbox One as a birthday present.  All was going just fine until it started making these random disc eject "ping" sounds or would just power on all by itself.  I know how touch-sensitive the power button is on that thing, so at first I was thinking maybe my wife had brushed by it or maybe even my cat...until I noticed the times it would make those noises when I'd be in the room and not using the console.  So after having to contact Microsoft Support several times about the issue, they finally suggested that I send it in for repair and they'd send me another system.  No real big deal here, right?  So then I get another Xbox One in the mail right after Thanksgiving, aaaaaand very shortly afterwards, it started making the same exact sounds!

It plays just fine and everything, and there are no signs of any damage to the console.  Now where I currently live out in the country, our only internet option is with satellite service, which is really slowwwwwww and we have very limited data usage.  So I was just wondering if these random sounds and random powering on was my console checking for any system or software updates and even doing these updates if possible, or is there something else going on needs to be fixed?

Like I said, aside from the noises & such, my console plays perfectly.  So is there anything I can do to take care of this annoying problem?  I mean, I've only had my system for a few months and I have no clue why this is happening.  I don't want to have to send yet ANOTHER system to Microsoft to wait several more weeks before getting another replacement console, aaaaaand I've already tried some troubleshooting tips, like pressing in the eject and power buttons at the same time for a "hard system reboot" and that didn't even work.  And I just now started just unplugging my system when it's not being used, which is an o.k. solution I guess but why should I have to unplug it constantly every single time when I'm not playing it, ya know?

But anyway....that's my story.  Any advice, suggestions, and help on this would be beyond appreciated!
kr2nist (old school gamer and very awesome cartoonist!)
Currently owned systems:  XBox 360, XBox One

soera

Re: An Xbox One perplexing problem....
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:54:49 am »
What you need to do is post an ad on Craigslist offering to trade your Xbox None for a PS4. Hopefully you will find someone who finds Microshaft systems oddly more interesting in the amazingness that is Sony and trades you. If not, you can probably hold your door open with the None. Or maybe a bookend.

byron

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 12:07:46 pm »
Two consoles behaving the same way obviously suggests an environmental problem. Could be it's getting some electromagnetic interference from the wall or another appliance. Move it to a different room, or plug it into a different outlet and see what happens.

kr2nist

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 01:07:51 am »
Two consoles behaving the same way obviously suggests an environmental problem. Could be it's getting some electromagnetic interference from the wall or another appliance. Move it to a different room, or plug it into a different outlet and see what happens.

Thanks for the input there, byron...I honestly haven't thought about that.  The way I currently have my console set up (mostly due to the small space in my room), I have my Xbox One and 360 literally sitting side by side next to each other with only a couple of inches of space in between them, on top of my dresser....and then my T.V. and Retron 5 sit off to the right, on a smaller table.  As of right now, I have all of the appliances plugged into a heavy duty surge protector.

Up until this summer, I've never owned more than one gaming console at any given time.  So do you really think it's possible that the Xbox One is picking up interference then?

byron

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 01:28:17 am »
When I switch on the vacuum cleaner, a bunch of static comes out of my TV's speakers despite the fact that the TV is turned off. Electrical interference behaves in spooky ways, and I would say just about anything is possible.

It's unlikely that the proximity of your consoles is the issue. If there is interference, it would probably travel through the wires in your wall like it does with my vacuum cleaner. The only thing to do is plug it in somewhere else and see how it does.

kr2nist

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 08:14:46 am »
When I switch on the vacuum cleaner, a bunch of static comes out of my TV's speakers despite the fact that the TV is turned off. Electrical interference behaves in spooky ways, and I would say just about anything is possible.

It's unlikely that the proximity of your consoles is the issue. If there is interference, it would probably travel through the wires in your wall like it does with my vacuum cleaner. The only thing to do is plug it in somewhere else and see how it does.

I'll definitely agree with you that electrical interference does act spooky, and if in fact that interference is the culprit here, then it'll be even spookier knowing that my Xbox One is the only appliance showing any signs of interference issues (as it too is plugged into the surge protector along with the rest of the appliances...).  But I'll certainly give it a shot with changing power outlets and see what happens.

soera

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 11:53:28 am »
I find it sad that you ignored my advice.  :'(

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 12:34:34 pm »

Its like when my pc speaker makes funny noises, i know my phone will ring soon ;D

davifus

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 01:39:03 pm »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

karyann

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 01:44:11 pm »

Its like when my pc speaker makes funny noises, i know my phone will ring soon ;D

At my in-laws, when the microwave is on, the Wi-Fi stop working. It's super annoying around lunch-time  ::)

kr2nist

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 02:00:23 am »
At my in-laws, when the microwave is on, the Wi-Fi stop working. It's super annoying around lunch-time  ::)

Where I'm currently living now, even though we have Wi-Fi with the satellite internet, the signal goes in & out and isn't all that strong.  The most annoying part though is when we've reached our data limit near the end of the month and then trying to do ANYthing online is either impossible or ridiculously slow.

Oops...forgot another majorly annoying part...trying to play anything multiplayer with satellite internet just doesn't happen, due to the horrible lag time.  Playing "World Of Warcraft" is actually doable, with there being only a couple seconds of lag time if you're in a group...buuuuut for console multiplayer, don't even try it.  lol!

kr2nist

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 02:35:23 am »

I didn't ignore your advice, soera.  Just ain't ready yet to turn the XB1 into a bookend or doorstop.  lol!  And I do fully plan on getting a PS4 also... 

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 02:52:23 am »

If it makes you feel better, I had a good laugh.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 07:18:49 am »
Eh, I find soera's best ignored, too :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 06:42:43 pm »

My Wi-Fi does that too. It's really annoying when you want to browse the internet while making KD. :(
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)