Author Topic: The "New" 3DS  (Read 8278 times)

desocietas

Re: The "New" 3DS
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 08:48:16 pm »
I didn't watch the Nintendo Direct. But my buddy was relaying it to me and said...

"No included plug, because everyone has them already.

That's literally what he just said!"

Which I replied...

"WTF Nintendo. Gimme my power plug you asses!"

lol, I'd heard about the Japanese ones not including AC adapters, so it wasn't news to me, but the warranty issue was. 

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/14/7547465/new-nintendo-3ds-xl-charger-ac-adapter-warranty

I should specify that it's for any non-Nintendo licensed accessories; third-party stuff should be ok if it's a legitimate company.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 09:07:25 pm »
The lack of ac adaptor is a classic Nintendo cost cutting method. They did that back in the 70s with the Color TV series were the devices were battery powered but you had the option to buy an AC Adapter. Made sense back then when the power adapter was the most expensive component of the product but now.... Come on Nintendo.

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 09:21:11 pm »
The no adapter thing is really dumb.  I'm planning to sell my 2DS and unless I can sell it locally and keep the adapter, I'm not gonna have one, meaning I have to go out and buy another.  Kinda annoying really, though doesn't kill things for me.  I mean, aren't the adapters practically nothing for the price? Gamestop sells third party ones for 10 bucks.  I'd imagine straight from the manufacture, the adapters don't cost all that much at all.

desocietas

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 09:35:26 pm »
I imagine they're also saving money on packaging and shipping with the potentially smaller end-product box.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 09:39:58 pm »
Either way, it's a load of crap.

First they take our manuals.

Now they take our power adapters.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 10:14:08 pm »

Manuals make sense, adapters don't in any way lol

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 01:22:53 am »
Informative topic considering I was still weighing in on my decision to buy one.  Thanks, everyone!

While you're totally right about needing more games that interest you to justify a purchase, I just feel like pointing out that Link Between Worlds is fantastic. You're really missing out.
My brother has the game.  That base is covered already, bobster.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

bobster

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 08:59:41 am »
Informative topic considering I was still weighing in on my decision to buy one.  Thanks, everyone!

While you're totally right about needing more games that interest you to justify a purchase, I just feel like pointing out that Link Between Worlds is fantastic. You're really missing out.
My brother has the game.  That base is covered already, bobster.
Welp, even more reason not to get a system then lol. Just play his  :).
Currently Playing: The Witcher

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 12:13:26 pm »
I feel cheated. I just bought my 3DS XL after Christmas 2013. Only a year ago. And it was the best model you could get. And it was like the 3rd 3DS model!

Now I have to go out and buy another one just to have full functionality of my games. Kind of crappy, if you ask me. If they're gonna design completely new functionality to a platform and make you rebuy it, then at least give us an ALL-NEW system with all-new games.

desocietas

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 01:04:41 pm »
I feel cheated. I just bought my 3DS XL after Christmas 2013. Only a year ago. And it was the best model you could get. And it was like the 3rd 3DS model!

Now I have to go out and buy another one just to have full functionality of my games. Kind of crappy, if you ask me. If they're gonna design completely new functionality to a platform and make you rebuy it, then at least give us an ALL-NEW system with all-new games.

Ah, it just goes along with their history with the DS and the DSi.  DSi-only games weren't has hyped as Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, but still.

If anything, I watched the gameplay of that one on Nintendo Direct last night and thought the graphics were all right.  I think I'd rather play the original game on the Wii/Wii U (whenever I get one) because the gameplay footage of that one looks amazing.

As far as we know, only XC3D requires the new 3DS - everything else should run fine on your XL.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 01:08:44 pm »

Ah, it just goes along with their history with the DS and the DSi.  DSi-only games weren't has hyped as Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, but still.

If anything, I watched the gameplay of that one on Nintendo Direct last night and thought the graphics were all right.  I think I'd rather play the original game on the Wii/Wii U (whenever I get one) because the gameplay footage of that one looks amazing.

As far as we know, only XC3D requires the new 3DS - everything else should run fine on your XL.

That's just the first game. The system JUST came out. I'm sure more will follow. Especially the way Amiibos are taking off.

scott

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 01:10:11 pm »
Oh ya. Its only the first game. Just like GBC and DSi before it.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 01:48:09 pm »

But they will never take our freedom.

Oh that went years ago.

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 03:10:53 pm »
I see the New 3DS as a good in between.  It's far too early too dump the 3DS line and since they see that they are held back by the hardware, they are bringing in a midway system, that still plays all the previous games, but can take advantage of added features or the few exclusives it will have, especially if people just directly upgrade.  I'd rather have this right now than them abandoning the 3DS completely.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 04:31:34 pm »
To me its the DSi, again.