Author Topic: Your favourite console, and why?  (Read 10134 times)

sin2beta

Re: Your favourite console, and why?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 10:43:10 am »
Mine tends to bounce between the Genesis and the Dreamcast. But the Genesis is probably it. It's lifespan was around 1989-1998 putting me between the ages 4 and 13. It was what I grew up on. Sure not a lot of stuff was out in 98, but Toys R Us had discount bins full of games. This is how I got Comix Zone and X-Men 2. And now as an adult, the length of these games fit my schedule a lot more. It's hard to fit in longer games. But games that take 30 minutes to beat after months of practice are perfect. The dreamcast has a special place since I did buy that with money from a summer job. I got it on launch day. And that was the age I was going to the arcade a lot. The dreamcast, and its many naomi ports, remind me of that time. But the Dreamcast wins out by a smidge.

Exclusives are tough since SEGA rereleased these so much. It cuts out things like Sonic, Streets of Rage, etc. Some of these may have been rereleased on virtual console etc.. But I think it is accurate. I'll only do 10 to avoid looking for rereleases.

1. X-Men 2: Clone Wars
2. The Ooze
3. Alisia Dragoon
4. TNMT: Hyperstone Heist
5. Contra Hard Corps
6. Castlevania Bloodlines
7. Eternal Champions
8. Herzog Zwei (may have received a computer release...)
9. MUSHA (virtual console?)
10. Moonwalker
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 12:23:11 pm »
Mine tends to bounce between the Genesis and the Dreamcast. But the Genesis is probably it. It's lifespan was around 1989-1998 putting me between the ages 4 and 13. It was what I grew up on. Sure not a lot of stuff was out in 98, but Toys R Us had discount bins full of games. This is how I got Comix Zone and X-Men 2. And now as an adult, the length of these games fit my schedule a lot more. It's hard to fit in longer games. But games that take 30 minutes to beat after months of practice are perfect. The dreamcast has a special place since I did buy that with money from a summer job. I got it on launch day. And that was the age I was going to the arcade a lot. The dreamcast, and its many naomi ports, remind me of that time. But the Dreamcast wins out by a smidge.

Exclusives are tough since SEGA rereleased these so much. It cuts out things like Sonic, Streets of Rage, etc. Some of these may have been rereleased on virtual console etc.. But I think it is accurate. I'll only do 10 to avoid looking for rereleases.

2. The Ooze
3. Alisia Dragoon
5. Contra Hard Corps
7. Eternal Champions
10. Moonwalker

The Ooze is on Sonic Mega Collection Plus (or maybe it was Sonic Gems?). And Sega never re-released Eternal Champions? For shame! It was a unique take on 16-bit fighters, very cool characters.

X-Men 2 is a must-have on the Genesis. It's one of the reasons I bought my Genesis back in the day.

I still need (and really want!) the Contra and Castlevania games on Genesis.

Cadash is another you should check out for non-re-released exclusives. It's also on TG-16, but not a lot of people own one of those. Great little action-RPG that started as an arcade, believe it or not.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:24:56 pm by burningdoom »

sin2beta

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 06:52:27 pm »

2. The Ooze
3. Alisia Dragoon
5. Contra Hard Corps
7. Eternal Champions
10. Moonwalker

The Ooze is on Sonic Mega Collection Plus (or maybe it was Sonic Gems?). And Sega never re-released Eternal Champions? For shame! It was a unique take on 16-bit fighters, very cool characters.

X-Men 2 is a must-have on the Genesis. It's one of the reasons I bought my Genesis back in the day.

I still need (and really want!) the Contra and Castlevania games on Genesis.

Cadash is another you should check out for non-re-released exclusives. It's also on TG-16, but not a lot of people own one of those. Great little action-RPG that started as an arcade, believe it or not.

This post is great info. The Oooze being released on a Sonic collection is not even something I would have thought to look for. I'll check out Cadash.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

funeria

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 12:35:12 pm »
Even though it tanked, mine has to be Sega Saturn. I'm a huge fan of fighting games (especially the 2D ones) and that system had a HUGE leg up in that department. Darkstalkers comes out on PS One, Night Warriors comes out for Saturn. MK3 for PS One, Ultimate MK3 for Saturn. The exclusives were great, but even the games that did come out for both were better in pretty much every respect for the Saturn.

Then there were all those great Working Designs games like Dragon Force and Iron Storm. I know that they folded, but does anyone know why nobody has released a collection of WD games? It seems like a no brainer to me... :/

Funeria~
"Pain, the price of devotion. Devotion, the price of pain..." - Steve Naghavi (And One)

deadtraumfrau.blogspot.com

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2015, 10:36:13 pm »
It's a no brainer gotta go with the PSP as my favorite console.  A little background is I'm 20 so back when the psp first came out I got it basically as soon as it was released and I was 10 years old.  The reason that it is my favorite console comes down to one simple fact that still hasn't really been replicated IMO.  I could bring it on long drives or play it whenever and wherever I wanted in the car, school bus, bedroom, living room while the adults watched tv and guess what... I never ever had to worry about reaching a save point!  Holy shit that was the greatest thing ever I could play games as much as I wanted and whenever something in real life happened I just shut the thing down and when I powered it back on I was right where I left off.  This capability made my gaming back then pretty easy.  I remember playing a soccer game so much because I never had to worry about actually finishing a game or simming it I just shut it off and was good to go.  Also good in a few of the other action and rpg games with long fights that would have to be left on or abandoned on other systems :p And I can't even name 20 exclusives I just love the system for that saving aspect, unfortunately the games are near impossible for me to find let alone good deals on them.

davifus

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2015, 01:44:15 pm »
PS2

Memories with it and FFX
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

gf78

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2015, 02:44:37 pm »
It's a no brainer gotta go with the PSP as my favorite console.  A little background is I'm 20 so back when the psp first came out I got it basically as soon as it was released and I was 10 years old.  The reason that it is my favorite console comes down to one simple fact that still hasn't really been replicated IMO.  I could bring it on long drives or play it whenever and wherever I wanted in the car, school bus, bedroom, living room while the adults watched tv and guess what... I never ever had to worry about reaching a save point!  Holy shit that was the greatest thing ever I could play games as much as I wanted and whenever something in real life happened I just shut the thing down and when I powered it back on I was right where I left off.  This capability made my gaming back then pretty easy.  I remember playing a soccer game so much because I never had to worry about actually finishing a game or simming it I just shut it off and was good to go.  Also good in a few of the other action and rpg games with long fights that would have to be left on or abandoned on other systems :p And I can't even name 20 exclusives I just love the system for that saving aspect, unfortunately the games are near impossible for me to find let alone good deals on them.

PSP was and still is a fantastic little system.  The Vita could be the same if Sony would just make some damn games for it and advertise that it exists!  If you had a PSP 2000 or 3000 model, you could even hook it to your TV for big screen fun.

So, so many great PSP exclusive titles. 
Castlevania the Dracula X Chronicles
Daxter
The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve)
Ape Escape on the Loose
Crisis Core:  Final Fantasy VII
Dissidia and Dissidia 012 (Final Fantasy games)
Tons of Atlus, Square-Enix and Xseed RPG's....
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 09:13:39 pm »
Super Nintendo.

Reasons:

It has a great selection of games.
Like a Nintendo 2.0, both the system and game cartridges were far more sturdier and they can last a lifetime.
The color scheme is perfect.
The sound quality is, in most games, ahead of it's time.
The controls are not only simple and convenient, they paved the way for most controllers afterwards, especially the PlayStation.
Additions like the Super Gameboy keep the replay value even greater.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 01:00:39 am »
PlayStation: Dualshock was the best controller I've ever played with and I still enjoy the system.  My 20 choices are:

Breath Of Fire III
Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night
Einhander
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy IX
Grandia
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth
Legend Of Dragoon
Legend Of Legaia
Lunar: Silver Story Complete
Lunar II: Eternal Blue Complete
Parasite Eve
Spider-Man
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Tales Of Destiny
Thousand Arms
Vagrant Story
Vandal Hearts
Wild ARMs

Please check out the games I have for sale.

mrnikon

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 02:21:34 pm »
For me it has got to be the NES, since it is the first one I ever had back in 1988..89??? Why you ask? It is what i grew up with, it represents the re-birth of the Video game industry. I cant say that we wouldn't have a video game industry today without it, but would it be the same?

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 12:10:41 am »

Love me some GameCubes

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 07:23:28 pm »
I couldn't get to this fast enough  :'(   Was gonna take the stuff I'm missing and repost the rest. Lots of Turbo Grafx here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TurboGrafx-16-Super-System-TurboGrafx-16-amp-PC-Engine-Games-RARE-Finds-MINT-/171695915930?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f9dfc39a&nma=true&si=FfRgqXbX40zMWT6vC4PZzmkFM1s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Wow, that's a great set! All things considered, that's not too bad of a price for everything. I don't have the heart to collect 100% complete in box Turbo games though.

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 03:42:26 pm »
Sorry for another post on an older thread, but I couldn't help myself, I just love this topic so much. 

Are we allowed to have a tie?  I love rpgs so for me, the PS1 and SNES are the kings of the castle in that regard.  Prior to my collection being stolen, I had many great titles for both.  My favorite rpg of all time is Xenogears, so I think I have to give the nod to the PS1.  It's alot more fun to collect for as well.  I enjoy the SNES, but hunting down the games you want that are CIB is a total pain, and with the PS1 double cases and instruction booklets, I feel like I am getting more and that it is a better investment.  So PS1 for me.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2015, 06:17:54 pm »
N64. I played the crap out of it as a kid. I had a SNES and Atari 2600 before, but N64 was the one I played a ton. Lots of good games.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730