Author Topic: February 2015 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 35596 times)

bobster

Re: February 2015 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 09:08:03 am »
DC
Continuing my Dreamquest, Found a few more games I was missing.
- Dragon Riders
This game holds a special place in my heart. I'm not really sure why. I never hear anyone talk about it. Unfortunately, my Dreamcast won't read my copy and the replacement copy I bought was actually sealed (had a generic picture for listing) and the collector in me can't bring myself to open a sealed game like that.

Doesn't help it might be the console itself and not the game. One day I'll grab a spare Dreamcast to make sure.

Anyone else play Dragon Riders: Chronicles of Pern?
Currently Playing: The Witcher

devancowan

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 10:24:37 am »
DC
- Dragon Riders
This game holds a special place in my heart. I'm not really sure why. I never hear anyone talk about it. Unfortunately, my Dreamcast won't read my copy and the replacement copy I bought was actually sealed (had a generic picture for listing) and the collector in me can't bring myself to open a sealed game like that.

Doesn't help it might be the console itself and not the game. One day I'll grab a spare Dreamcast to make sure.

That actually happens to me a lot as well. It seems like the longer something is sealed the harder and harder it gets to open.

bobster

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 10:28:34 am »
DC
- Dragon Riders

That actually happens to me a lot as well. It seems like the longer something is sealed the harder and harder it gets to open.
Yup it's definitely a conundrum. The worst part is I know this copy would be pristine if I opened it, but I can also sell it for much more than I paid and just get another copy. That's a lot of work though lol.

I'm having the same problem with my Amiibos. But at this point I'm convinced I'm going to open them all, as I want to use the damn things, plus display them nicely! It's going to hurt actually doing it though.

devancowan

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 10:33:20 am »
DC
- Dragon Riders

Yup it's definitely a conundrum. The worst part is I know this copy would be pristine if I opened it, but I can also sell it for much more than I paid and just get another copy. That's a lot of work though lol.

I'm having the same problem with my Amiibos. But at this point I'm convinced I'm going to open them all, as I want to use the damn things, plus display them nicely! It's going to hurt actually doing it though.

Same goes to me. First thing that runs though my mind when opening something is "How much is this going to decrease its value?". Which is stupid because I probably won't end up ever selling it!  8)

And don't even get me started on Amiibo's lol. Once I get my N3DS its going to be impossible for me to open them. If I do it will probably only be the select few common ones and not the extremely hard ones to find.

argyle

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 10:44:17 am »
DC
- Dragon Riders

Same goes to me. First thing that runs though my mind when opening something is "How much is this going to decrease its value?". Which is stupid because I probably won't end up ever selling it!  8)

And don't even get me started on Amiibo's lol. Once I get my N3DS its going to be impossible for me to open them. If I do it will probably only be the select few common ones and not the extremely hard ones to find.

I opened every single one of my Amiibos this past Sunday. :) But first, I looked up the best way to do so without destroying the package, borrowed my wife's xacto knife set & carefully opened each one to preserve the packaging, which I then put away in a storage container.

I probably need help. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

bobster

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 10:48:36 am »
DC
- Dragon Riders

I opened every single one of my Amiibos this past Sunday. :) But first, I looked up the best way to do so without destroying the package, borrowed my wife's xacto knife set & carefully opened each one to preserve the packaging, which I then put away in a storage container.

I probably need help. :P
I'll probably just go whole hog. I don't really have the space to store empty boxes. I'll probably post pics of the empty box pile when I'm done. Good on you for opening them all though!

We all could probably use help  ;D

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 12:04:27 pm »
The Amiibo/Skylanders bug never bit me. I saw from the very start it was just a ploy to open up your wallets. A sort "collect them all!" scheme. I figure paying for a console, a game, and possible DLC should be plenty. I don't need to pay for dozens of little figurines on top of it.

argyle

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 12:17:15 pm »
From the different boards I frequent, it seems there are two types of people: those who enjoy hunting down & collecting Amiibos, and those who have some kind of irrational anger about the whole thing. The second type baffles me. ??? I'm not trying to come down on anyone in particular, like I said I've seen this same attitude from several different people on several different boards - as if Amiibos are some kind of personal offense to them. Just...baffles me.  :-\
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 12:25:12 pm »
I don't hate them, if you like them more power to you. I just don't want to spend the extra money on them because consoles, games, and DLC is expensive enough already for me.

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 12:54:51 pm »
I think the anger comes from the fact there are people who buy up every amiibo at the store and then you can't get it for under $40 or something like that online.  The way I see it is people will charge whatever someone will pay and if you're that hard up that buying something for like 10-15 bucks then only having a slim chance it becomes collectible to make a tiny profit then you need that money pretty badly so go ahead and be a one of those shady "resellers" most of us complain about haha.  If anyone has the time and energy to do that with limited edition video games then good for them I'll just never have it or get it at a flea market in 10 years when nobody gives a rats ass anymore :)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 12:58:25 pm »
Amiibos to me they are great cheap little figures of some of my favorite game characters that look great, and happen to have an added bonus of functioning with some games. at least thats my opinion before resellers get their hands on them. Oh yeah I got a Diddy Kong and another Link amiibo.

Warmsignal

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 04:23:56 am »
From the different boards I frequent, it seems there are two types of people: those who enjoy hunting down & collecting Amiibos, and those who have some kind of irrational anger about the whole thing. The second type baffles me. ??? I'm not trying to come down on anyone in particular, like I said I've seen this same attitude from several different people on several different boards - as if Amiibos are some kind of personal offense to them. Just...baffles me.  :-\

OMG Amibos, grrrr!!! I'm just glad to be on the outside looking in on this one, without the urge to spend money on more stuff and dealing with more scalping and insane prices that what I already do.

gf78

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 09:14:05 am »
Amiibos to me they are great cheap little figures of some of my favorite game characters that look great, and happen to have an added bonus of functioning with some games. at least thats my opinion before resellers get their hands on them. Oh yeah I got a Diddy Kong and another Link amiibo.

Here's my take on the Ammibos.  Within a week, I had picked up the first 12 figures.  Then the internet exploded with news that Nintendo had discontinued Village, Marth and Wii Fit Trainer.  Then the next waves were announced with retailer exclusive figures.  I saw them going for ridiculous prices on eBay.  I wanted to buy some other games, so I sold those three (Marth, Trainer and Villager).  Shortly thereafter, Fox became scarce and I sold him off.  The remaining eight I traded in at the local mom & pop game store for store credit.  I made my money back and then some.

The thought of fighting, searching, scouring, etc. to find these figures was enough to turn me off.  I think they are great looking figures and they are something that I always wished Nintendo would make.  But not like this.  This retailer-exclusive BS, discontinuing figures a few weeks after release...I'm not going through that nightmare to find all those. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 09:27:48 am »
I think amiibos are bad for the environment, just like K-Cups or Skylander figures. Not everyone is a collector, so my guess is that a bunch of those will be pitched and the amount of plastic waste will skyrocket.

That said, I don't -hate- amiibos but I do -HATE- the impact they have on the hobby of video game collecting. People who legitimately wish to collect them but missed out will be SOL unless they want to give some scum-ball, f*cktard on eBay (a website I grow to hate more and more with each look) a ton of money that could be used for other video games. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

I know of no one on here doing that (yet) but, those are my two cents on the matter.

gf78

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 12:02:39 pm »
I think amiibos are bad for the environment, just like K-Cups or Skylander figures. Not everyone is a collector, so my guess is that a bunch of those will be pitched and the amount of plastic waste will skyrocket.

That said, I don't -hate- amiibos but I do -HATE- the impact they have on the hobby of video game collecting. People who legitimately wish to collect them but missed out will be SOL unless they want to give some scum-ball, f*cktard on eBay (a website I grow to hate more and more with each look) a ton of money that could be used for other video games. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

I know of no one on here doing that (yet) but, those are my two cents on the matter.

That is pretty much why I just decided to sell them.  Assbags are buying them up in bulk and hoarding them to sell for obnoxious prices online.  I'm not going to drive myself insane or pay more than retail for them to get them all so I just ended it and made up my mind not to buy any more.

As for eBay, sure there are a lot of d-bags scalping items on there for ridiculous prices.  However, eBay has been an invaluable tool in acquiring many games that I otherwise would never have been able to find.  In particular, if you collect Japanese games eBay is the place to find them.  Picked up all of the Famicom and Super Famicom Final Fantasy titles for less than $20 each (with shipping) complete in their boxes with manuals and the plastic tray that holds the cartridges.  And the artwork on those game boxes are beautiful.  Also just picked up a complete in box Chrono Trigger for the Super Famicom. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us