Author Topic: Collection Specific Badges  (Read 4091 times)

foxhack

Re: Collection Specific Badges
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 07:23:47 pm »
Do I need too collect Pac-Man arcade games too if a Pac-Man badge is made. :)  Could just having like 15 or more  games in a series count?  I made a list of every Pac-Man game and each variant and my word document was 8 pages long.  I'm pretty sure I missed some too.
20 Games for just Pac-Man not counting all the sequels...  Thats without things like sears label version of 2600 and homebrew. :/
Yeah, this is why I don't think the badges for "full sets" are a good idea. There are -way- too many platforms to consider.

Badges for collecting stuff in a series - not ALL releases, but a good chunk of it - is fine by me.

scott

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2012, 07:17:06 am »
I dont really think that situation would come up very often. I mean if you're doing console specific stuff (Nintendo virtual boy) than you're looking at something entirely different.

Arc the Lad is possibly another one.

Yeah, this is why I don't think the badges for "full sets" are a good idea. There are -way- too many platforms to consider.

Badges for collecting stuff in a series - not ALL releases, but a good chunk of it - is fine by me.

Personally, I like the idea of a 75% threshold. If the badges are about showing a user's loyalty, as forte said in his original post, then this would work very nicely. You can be loyal to a franchise without owning every single game. Hell, I'm a loyal fan of a lot of series and have a bunch for games for each, but I don't own them all. I consider myself a loyal Pokemon fan, even though I don't own Gold and Silver, the Ranger or Mystery Dungeon games. All I'm saying is if it's about showing which franchises we are loyal to, then a 75% threshold should be fine, that means if a series has 15 games in it, then that's 12 games you'd have to own to pop the badge, which is still a pretty decent investment into the series.

Now, we aren't going to be able to please everyone with whatever we decide to go with. But, we could still do 2 types of badges. A loyalty badge, and complete collections badges.

The loyalty badge would pop at 75% or greater, this could be automated fairly easily (I think). This would allow folks to look at a person's collection page and give them an almost "at-a-glance" idea of what that person's favorites are. So you could look at my collection and it would have something like a Castlevania, Grand Theft Auto, Pokemon, Metal Gear and possibly Resident Evil badges.

Then we could have complete collection badges for franchises, consoles etc. These would be mod awarded and require some kind of evidence that the person owns everything, counting spin-offs, ignoring variants, etc, for that franchise/console.

I also like the idea of publisher based fan badges. You can be a fan of a certain publisher without owning every game they've ever made. I'm a big fan of Konami because they make 3 of my favorite series, Castlevania, Metal Gear and Gradius. But I wouldn't go out and buy 15 million DDR games, just to prove how loyal I am to the company. So the 75% threshold and owning everything wouldn't work for companies, we'd need to come up with a different system for them.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

forte

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2012, 07:25:24 am »
Maybe for publisher games, you should have a certain number of series by that publisher. Like for me, I'd be a Capcom Fan, because I have Mega Man, Street Fighter, Power Stone, vs. Capcom, Ghosts and Goblins, Devil May Cry, etc games. Obviously for Nintendo it would be fairly easy, some more difficult depending where we set the series number.

scott

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 06:51:54 pm »
Hmm, that could work. But for now we should focus on 1 thing at a time. ha

tpugmire

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 05:28:07 am »
I think all badges of this type should be mod awarded.  I thought of a possible issue if they are automatically set when you reach 75%.  Would you lose a badge if a new game comes out, and your percentage drops below 75%?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 05:41:27 am »
Ya I didn't think of that...

madmax

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 08:22:19 am »
If we're doing one thing at a time. Lets focus on complete collection badges (title) first.

I think the approach is pretty straight forward. Get a set of rules down. When someone wants to prove they have a full collection, a mod (the most knowledgeable with the series or area) does research to see if anything is missing. If not, the badge is awarded.

scott

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 01:50:48 pm »
I think all badges of this type should be mod awarded.  I thought of a possible issue if they are automatically set when you reach 75%.  Would you lose a badge if a new game comes out, and your percentage drops below 75%?

I was thinking of this again, and was wondering. If it was automated, and the addition of a new release were to drop you below 75%, what's the chance that you wouldn't be buying said new game anyway? If there are 20 games in a series, 75% is 15 games. If you're an avid fan of that series, what's the chances of you not buying the new game? Especially if it IS NOT a remake/compilation pack? Also if the series is 20 games long and a new title is released for it the new % would equal 15.75 games, so if you owned 16 of the 21, you'd be free and clear of losing your badge anyway.

tpugmire

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 09:02:15 am »
So what about complete collection badges?  If they automatically pop when you get them all, and a new one comes out, do you lose the badge?   That's why I think all these badge types should be manually added.  Just to avoid future issues.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 09:41:43 am »
Technically, if you had a complete franchise collection and a new game came out, you wouldn't have a completed collection anymore. But I was talking about automating a percentage based badge anyway.

Also @matt said last night that he was going to bring himself up to speed and let everyone know what is/isn't doable code wise.

madmax

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 12:18:51 pm »
I still think complete collection badges should be added manually. A complete collection is uncommon enough that it wouldn't be much effort