Author Topic: Games that are universally loved....but you hate them  (Read 8270 times)

kashell

Re: Games that are universally loved....but you hate them
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 09:03:44 am »
Super Smash Bros. might be the one that throws me the most. I know it is meant for local multi-player so perhaps I cannot fairly judge it at all. I've tried a few of them, once with others. It was so hectic though that I just mashed buttons and hoped for the best  :D The last one I played was on Wii and that single-player campaign portion to unlock characters is very boring. I suppose since I grew up playing Sega games and not Nintendo games the character appeal isn't too great either. However, I feel like even replacing all of the characters with ones I like wouldn't help.

I have to agree with you.  My kids like it, so I bought the new Wii U version for them.  But I just don't get it.  Aside from how chaotic everything going on is , the controls are pretty whack to me.  A dedicated jump, punch and kick button would be preferable to me.  And I just really don't get the hit percentage.  I mean, I know that it is supposed to be the more damage someone has taken, the easier they are to KO off the platforms.  But with how nuts everything is, I just can't follow it.  My kids will play against me and for the life of me, none of us knows who is going to be the winner and when it is announced, how the hell we won in the first place.   :-\

You were probably playing on Timed. Switch the option to Stock so you have a certain number of lives. That's what we always do.

Smash Bros. is one of the few games in which I'll brag about my abilities. Myself and my two brothers grew up playing it since the N64 days and we are all really good. People are usually surprised when they see us dominate in mini-tournaments and gatherings.

That said, I can completely understand the confusion. There is so much crap going on unless you tweak things. I suggest turning some items off, only going to stages that lack gimmicks and don't randomly select a character. The great thing about Wii U Smash is that you can make all of the stages lose their gimmicks. It makes things much more bearable.

bobster

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 09:27:51 am »
The Witcher 2 - Tons of people rave about this action RPG.  I find it clumsy.  It's got some alright ideas, but the controls are unintuitive, the UI is clunky, it just doesn't work for me.  I made it about half way through the game and then just got bored.  I tried again recently and didn't make it out of the prologue.  I am still interested in The Witcher 3, I love an open world action RPG, so if they can improve it, I'll be happy.  I want to like the series cause it has a cool developer lol
Just out of curiosity, did you ever play the first one? When the first one came it, it was a total surprise. Here was a Polish developer putting out their first game, on the PC of all things (things have always been relatively sparse for PC games), that had a really interesting world and story. It definitely had clunkiness to it, but if you made it past the first act, the story really sucked you in. Geralt was a very interesting protagonist for me.

The second one turned out way better than the first, but I can still see your point on the clumsiness of it. I know you've tried multiple times so it's probably not for you, but I'm definitely curious to know if you played the first one at all. Also, this latest time trying it, did you try out the battle system mod the developer put out to address a lot of peoples issues? They released it after I finished the game so I never tried it out.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

amauriel

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 11:14:21 am »

I will preface this by saying that I do not "hate" any of these games, but did failed to see the appeal in them and was just unable to get into them at all.

Earthbound: I had really high hopes for this game, I mean it goes for nearly $200 loose and it isn't even a rare game. Tried for about 8 hours to get into the story, characters and the game in general and it really disappointed on all fronts. It seriously left me wondering how it can have such a rabid fanbase and why it is so highly spoken of, and even more so, highly sought after.

This one actually surprised me in here. I don't know if it's because Earthbound was my first RPG or if it was just that it was the first game I bought without renting first and I wanted to get every moment out of it, but damn, I love this game. (If you can't tell from the Starman avatar.)
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

gf78

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 11:52:17 am »

I will preface this by saying that I do not "hate" any of these games, but did failed to see the appeal in them and was just unable to get into them at all.

Earthbound: I had really high hopes for this game, I mean it goes for nearly $200 loose and it isn't even a rare game. Tried for about 8 hours to get into the story, characters and the game in general and it really disappointed on all fronts. It seriously left me wondering how it can have such a rabid fanbase and why it is so highly spoken of, and even more so, highly sought after.

This one actually surprised me in here. I don't know if it's because Earthbound was my first RPG or if it was just that it was the first game I bought without renting first and I wanted to get every moment out of it, but damn, I love this game. (If you can't tell from the Starman avatar.)

I never played Earthbound.   :'(  However, a game that I loved as a young'un that nobody every talks about is Star Tropics.  Man, I loved that game. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 11:53:59 am by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

bobster

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 12:09:33 pm »

I never played Earthbound.   :'(  However, a game that I loved as a young'un that nobody every talks about is Star Tropics.  Man, I loved that game.
Now there's a sentiment I can get behind. I replayed Star Tropics over the summer. Still pretty fun. I've yet to play Zoda's Revenge though.

gf78

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 02:12:23 pm »

Now there's a sentiment I can get behind. I replayed Star Tropics over the summer. Still pretty fun. I've yet to play Zoda's Revenge though.

I never played Zoda's Revenge either.  Here's a painful story.  A few years ago, I went into the local mom & pop shop looking around.  They had brand-new, sealed with the H-seam copies of Star Tropics and Zoda's Revenge.  Not crushed, not dinged, no funky smashed corners or tears in the plastic.  These babies were cherry.  I asked what she wanted and she sold both to me for $20.  I sold them for forty a few months later as I wasn't collecting NES titles at that time.  Ugh...I could kick myself.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

bobster

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 02:27:08 pm »

I never played Zoda's Revenge either.  Here's a painful story.  A few years ago, I went into the local mom & pop shop looking around.  They had brand-new, sealed with the H-seam copies of Star Tropics and Zoda's Revenge.  Not crushed, not dinged, no funky smashed corners or tears in the plastic.  These babies were cherry.  I asked what she wanted and she sold both to me for $20.  I sold them for forty a few months later as I wasn't collecting NES titles at that time.  Ugh...I could kick myself.
Ouch that makes me sad in the heart  :(.

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2015, 03:45:27 pm »
Just out of curiosity, did you ever play the first one? When the first one came it, it was a total surprise. Here was a Polish developer putting out their first game, on the PC of all things (things have always been relatively sparse for PC games), that had a really interesting world and story. It definitely had clunkiness to it, but if you made it past the first act, the story really sucked you in. Geralt was a very interesting protagonist for me.

The second one turned out way better than the first, but I can still see your point on the clumsiness of it. I know you've tried multiple times so it's probably not for you, but I'm definitely curious to know if you played the first one at all. Also, this latest time trying it, did you try out the battle system mod the developer put out to address a lot of peoples issues? They released it after I finished the game so I never tried it out.

Nah, I never played the first one.  A lot of people said that while it was a good game, it had its issues and that going with Witcher 2 was probably better.  It sounds like the situation where if someone wanted to get into Mass Effect, I wouldn't recommend the first game at all, but to start with ME2 lol I haven't tried the battle mod though.  What does it actually change to make it better? To me, it felt like it needed a real overhaul to be any good.

bobster

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 08:15:49 pm »

Nah, I never played the first one.  A lot of people said that while it was a good game, it had its issues and that going with Witcher 2 was probably better.  It sounds like the situation where if someone wanted to get into Mass Effect, I wouldn't recommend the first game at all, but to start with ME2 lol I haven't tried the battle mod though.  What does it actually change to make it better? To me, it felt like it needed a real overhaul to be any good.
Well this looks like some of it.

overall purpose of the mod is to increase Geralt’s responsiveness and mobility
- Geralt can parry attacks while he’s walking and running (new animations)
- Geralt reacts faster to keyboard/gamepad buttons
- active block was replaced by active Quen
- during heavy battle Geralt uses pirouettes and focus (new animations)
- difficulty levels were rebalanced
- Geralt does not “bump” away from opponent’s swords when his attacks are parried which allows quick continuation of the attack sequence
- opponents explode when particular attacks are used, e.g. Igni causes opponent explosion, just like in The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition intro
- elixirs have negative influence

This video shows off the differences.

gf78

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 09:15:35 pm »

- Geralt does not “bump” away from opponent’s swords when his attacks are parried which allows quick continuation of the attack sequence
- opponents explode when particular attacks are used, e.g. Igni causes opponent explosion, just like in The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition intro

If Witcher 2 were a Ubisoft game, that update would have been $29.99 MSRP.

bobster

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2015, 09:26:53 pm »

If Witcher 2 were a Ubisoft game, that update would have been $29.99 MSRP.
lol definitely. That's why I love the Witcher Developers.