Author Topic: Legend of Zelda Netflix series?!  (Read 2705 times)

Legend of Zelda Netflix series?!
« on: February 06, 2015, 06:45:35 pm »
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2015/02/06/legend-of-zelda-netflix-series/
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/legend-of-zelda-live-action-series-coming-to-netfl/1100-6425161/
http://kotaku.com/report-netflix-making-legend-of-zelda-tv-series-1684293104
http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/06/netflix-legend-of-zelda-series/

There isn't any real details yet other than it's going to be live-action Game of Thrones style. First published through Wall Street Journal today.

Edit: What I find odd is that WSJ doesn't cite who made the announcement. At the end they state that both Nintendo and Netflix declined for comment, so... what's up? Where did they pull this rumor out of? 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 06:53:04 pm by badATchaos »

Re: Legend of Zelda Netflix series?!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 07:00:31 pm »
I'm totally cool with it happening if it turns out to be true.  While Zelda doesn't usually have really great world building, I think it has potential as a fantasy story.

abe

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:00:57 pm »
If this is real, I'm not sure how I feel about this. When's the last time Nintendo had a live-action movie or television show based off of one of their franchises (I'm not counting commercials for games or anything like that), the Super Mario Bros movie from '93? ???
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:02:21 pm »
If this is real, I'm not sure how I feel about this. When's the last time Nintendo had a live-action movie or television show based off of one of their franchises, the Super Mario Bros movie from '93? ???

Yeah Mario Bros was the last one.  I think it's been long enough since then for them to try it again, hopefully with more control over the project to keep things on track.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 07:28:45 pm »
Zelda does have some serious potential as a setting (Hyrule), but as a narrative? It'll be interesting to see how they approach it. I really hope it's not going to be directly tied to the Wii U Zelda game. -I'd rather see something original to be honest. Although a Majora's Mask mini-series would be badass!

Personally I'd like a live-action Metroid (Prime) film before anything else.

abe

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 08:00:36 pm »
I'm just a bit worried because from my experience, live action stuff has the potential to end up pretty bad. Dragonball Origin is one example of how bad it can get. Eugh, there are so many things wrong with that movie.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 08:48:54 pm »
I'm just a bit worried because from my experience, live action stuff has the potential to end up pretty bad. Dragonball Origin is one example of how bad it can get. Eugh, there are so many things wrong with that movie.

The problem is with those that don't actually want to make a movie based on a series, they just want name value so that they can draw people in.  It was like the recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  It's extremely obvious they could care less about making an actual Ninja Turtles movie, especially with the stuff about aliens and how shredder was just gonna be some white guy in a huge robot suit, so they haphazardly put in what people were wanting, making the movie crap.  Dragonball Evolution was much the same.  They had character names and some basic ideas, but Goku was some awkward kid in highschool and god damn was that bad lol

If Nintendo has better control over the story direction and some smart people are put onto the project, this could turn out pretty cool.

abe

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 08:55:49 pm »

The problem is with those that don't actually want to make a movie based on a series, they just want name value so that they can draw people in.  It was like the recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  It's extremely obvious they could care less about making an actual Ninja Turtles movie, especially with the stuff about aliens and how shredder was just gonna be some white guy in a huge robot suit, so they haphazardly put in what people were wanting, making the movie crap.  Dragonball Evolution was much the same.  They had character names and some basic ideas, but Goku was some awkward kid in highschool and god damn was that bad lol

If Nintendo has better control over the story direction and some smart people are put onto the project, this could turn out pretty cool.

Good point. Let's hope Nintendo takes this series in the right direction. That is, assuming that the rumor is true and this series is actually going to happen.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 09:42:33 pm »
The fact that they said it's like Game of Thrones doesn't worry anyone? I sure hope they don't over-sexualize Zelda.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 09:44:04 pm »
The fact that they said it's like Game of Thrones doesn't worry anyone? I sure hope they don't over-sexualize Zelda.

They also said it would be family friendly. Soooooo.....

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 09:56:33 pm »
^ I was going by the OP's summary, he didn't mention family-friendly.

Then I'm all for it!

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 10:35:24 pm »

Seeing that they say family friendly, I think the idea was meant towards creating a large fantasy world with lots of characters, action, and good drama.  We aren't going to worry if a character we like is going to die or who's ass we are gonna see this week lol

Bwigdahl

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2015, 11:46:55 pm »
I think "cautiously optimistic" would be the best phrase for this.

davifus

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 11:28:05 am »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

retroone

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 01:20:53 pm »
If this does happen they need to bring this back