Author Topic: A Few Questions  (Read 3904 times)

desocietas

Re: A Few Questions
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 01:49:58 am »
What is odd about the titling here is sticking the article in front of the subtitle. You mentioned The Sims 3 in your first post and that would be Sims 3, The. Now if you were to enter a Sims 3 listing with a subtitle the VGCollect style guide asks that you write The Sims 3 in the same way and then add the subtitle (ex. Sims 3, The: University Life). To me that's odd, and I'm not sure what the thinking is behind that but maybe someone else can explain the reason for it. I'm not sure if I've inquired about it before and if I did it would have been more than three years ago, and my memory isn't good enough to remember. If you were writing out a list on your own and wanted to remove the article from the front you'd want to write Sims 3: University Life, The.

The reason why "the" comes after the game and before the subtitle is so that the base game comes before all the expansions.  For example:

Sims 3, The
Sims 3, The: 70's, 80's and 90's Stuff
Sims 3, The: Pets
Sims 3, The: University Life

vs

Sims 3: 70's, 80's and 90's Stuff, The
Sims 3: Pets, The
Sims 3, The
Sims 3: University Life, The

Hope that helps explain it!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

psydswipe

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 07:38:55 am »
What is odd about the titling here is sticking the article in front of the subtitle. You mentioned The Sims 3 in your first post and that would be Sims 3, The. Now if you were to enter a Sims 3 listing with a subtitle the VGCollect style guide asks that you write The Sims 3 in the same way and then add the subtitle (ex. Sims 3, The: University Life). To me that's odd, and I'm not sure what the thinking is behind that but maybe someone else can explain the reason for it. I'm not sure if I've inquired about it before and if I did it would have been more than three years ago, and my memory isn't good enough to remember. If you were writing out a list on your own and wanted to remove the article from the front you'd want to write Sims 3: University Life, The.

The reason why "the" comes after the game and before the subtitle is so that the base game comes before all the expansions.  For example:

Sims 3, The

vs

Sims 3, The

Okay. It doesn't seem too important to have the base game first but I'll continue to go along with it anyways  :D Would probably be better to enter titles exactly as they appear on a box and create a secondary field used for the alphabetizing but that's a lot of work at this point, and as usual I don't know what programming challenges that would present. It would probably be near impossible to get all the non-forum users to fill in a second box as well.

Speaking of the Developers and Publishers, I put a book up and the Developers and Publishers fields was there? Shouldn't Developer say 'Writer'?, because I put the writer in that field and I don't know if that was correct? Also there was a paperback, and hardcover version of the book so should it say 'name of book (paperback)' or 'name of book- paperback? Sorry for all the questions, but you guys have been a huge help so far :)

I think publisher and developer go across all categories regardless of if they apply. Hardware also says developer/publisher though manufacturer might make more sense. In any case, I don't know what to tell you for books but they generally do have a publisher so that should work. The problem with using a writer's name is that it then creates a company entry as the name of that person.  Author could possibly be mentioned in the description box. A staff member will have to weigh in on this one.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:48:43 am by psydswipe »

soera

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 08:23:26 am »
THE SOERA exists solely to wreak havoc & spread chaos -

- imagine, if you will, a "5th Horseman of the apocalypse"...that has eaten, drained, & sucked out every last bit of spirit + strength of the other four...feasting on & growing stronger, baser, and more appalling with each and every last whisp of the other 4's life essence as he inhales & consumes all that they have - thriving & nourishing his own black soul - and then, far from satiated & content with what he has wrought...he turns, tilts his head to the side - chuckling to himself maniacally - and sets his baleful & depraved empty gaze on you.  Alas!  It is now too late :'(

It is written, and it is ever thus; look ye too deeply into THE SOERA - and THE SOERA will look back into you.

Oh, assuredly - the lone certainty is that, wherever he has passed...there will be naught but despair, desolation, and the shattered & fragmented remnants of flotsam & jetsom...the last & shattered rays of peace, hope, serenity, and all that ever was good, pure, innocent, benign, & white in the world left in his hellish wake...to know THE SOERA, is to know despair.  :-\

...in a nutshell :P

This is ... perfect! :D

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 11:22:22 am »

- imagine, if you will, a "5th Horseman of the apocalypse"...that has eaten, drained, & sucked out every last bit of spirit + strength of the other four...feasting on & growing stronger, baser, and more appalling with each and every last whisp of the other 4's life essence as he inhales & consumes all that they have - thriving & nourishing his own black soul - and then, far from satiated & content with what he has wrought...he turns, tilts his head to the side - chuckling to himself maniacally - and sets his baleful & depraved empty gaze on you.  Alas!  It is now too late :'(

It is written, and it is ever thus; look ye too deeply into THE SOERA - and THE SOERA will look back into you.

Oh, assuredly - the lone certainty is that, wherever he has passed...there will be naught but despair, desolation, and the shattered & fragmented remnants of flotsam & jetsom...the last & shattered rays of peace, hope, serenity, and all that ever was good, pure, innocent, benign, & white in the world left in his hellish wake...to know THE SOERA, is to know despair.  :-\

This is ... perfect! :D

Thought ya' might like that  ;)

I was thinking of going with something like...a

"the # of the soera";

like "Ask not the number of the soera, for it is a...human number; it's number is 666, or

"We want information.  Information!  But, I'm not a number - I'm a free man -and- my life is my own,

and wind it all up by

"Hallowing your name",

at "2 minutes to midnight", and concluding with

the soera being a

"Wrathchild" who's "Running Free"; commiting "Murders in the Rue Morgue and

all up & down "Acacia Avenue"...

attempting to become a "Powerslave"

but

dying as he lived - in "the Flash of A Blade...

as his "Wings turn to ashes...to ashes his grave"; so -

"if you're gonna' die, die with your boots on"; and finally...

"Revelations"

who can get the references & how many of them are there; hmm? :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

desocietas

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 01:58:23 pm »

Sims 3, The

vs

Sims 3, The

Okay. It doesn't seem too important to have the base game first but I'll continue to go along with it anyways  :D Would probably be better to enter titles exactly as they appear on a box and create a secondary field used for the alphabetizing but that's a lot of work at this point, and as usual I don't know what programming challenges that would present. It would probably be near impossible to get all the non-forum users to fill in a second box as well.

I can definitely understand that.  Having "the" at the end isn't the most elegant way, but it's what we currently have to do since the database isn't currently able to detect articles at the beginning of titles and know to ignore them.  If it did, the base game would still appear before all the expansions ;)

Otherwise, we do try to maintain the game titles exactly as they appear on the box.  Hopefully one day, the database here will be able to handle words like "the" at the beginning of a title :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gamingpenguin

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 08:00:47 am »

I think publisher and developer go across all categories regardless of if they apply. Hardware also says developer/publisher though manufacturer might make more sense. In any case, I don't know what to tell you for books but they generally do have a publisher so that should work. The problem with using a writer's name is that it then creates a company entry as the name of that person.  Author could possibly be mentioned in the description box. A staff member will have to weigh in on this one.

I see, I guess that's something that needs a little tweaking?, I will leave out the author for now and just add the publisher. Thanks for the reply :)

Haha, I shall keep this in mind, that was a good read :P