Author Topic: 52 games in 2015 - VGCollect Edition  (Read 40685 times)

karyann

Re: 52 games in 2015 - VGCollect Edition
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 05:57:42 pm »
Just updated my first post, I just completed Link's Awakening!  ;D That one has been waiting for way too many years too.

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2015, 06:16:04 pm »
Game 5 - DDRMAX2, DDR Supernova, DDRX, DDR Extreme - Playing/Completed

I'm putting them together because really, they are DDR games.  Aside from changes to the visuals, nothing changes lol It's always the same exact gameplay.  I've been playing them for my exercise routine, going through them on Beginner, because I'm not at the Light level yet.  I'm just gonna say I'm kinda completing them, since there's no way I'm seriously beating all difficulties, so my completion, is just to try and beat everything but the crazy stuff on beginner difficulty until I lose enough weight to handle Light.  As for what game I like most so far, I think I'm gonna say DDRX.  It seems better designed, it tells me when I unlock new characters and songs, I don't have to keep restarting the game on Game Mode every three songs which is obnoxious, and I think it's beginner mode is a little more fun so far.  Less double button hits and it includes the freeze arrows.  The announcer in it though talks too much.  He really needs to shutup lol

karyann

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 08:01:44 pm »
I've been playing them for my exercise routine, going through them on Beginner, because I'm not at the Light level yet.

I did the same thing! Once you get the hang of it and increase the level, it really gets a good cardio training.  :) Even just Light can take your breath sometimes :P

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 08:14:42 pm »
I did the same thing! Once you get the hang of it and increase the level, it really gets a good cardio training.  :) Even just Light can take your breath sometimes :P

I've done two songs on Light, one wasn't too bad, another was just too much lol I can do Beginner totally fine, it's basically reasonably easy until I'm hitting like the 180+ BPS songs which gets abit rough.  My problem at the moment from going to Light is simply the movement.  With Beginning, I can work the beat by going from the neutral stance, hit the arrow, move back, and then to the next spot, but Light makes you move around and you don't go back to neutral and with the speed, it can get rough lol A lot of it comes down to weight as I'm pretty heavy, so it's tough to handle even more so, but I'll get there eventually.

Definitely good cardio.  If I don't do tough leg exercises before DDR, I usually do about an hour of it a day.  Really works up a sweat even on Beginner.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 08:19:44 pm »
Just updated my first post, I just completed Link's Awakening!  ;D That one has been waiting for way too many years too.

The single greatest game in the original Game Boy's library, as far as I'm concerned. I loved it.

foxhack

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2015, 08:24:24 pm »
I remember my DDR days... hard to believe I used to play that quite often over ten years ago.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 01:01:47 am »
One you can get to heavy boy is that the best. I can only finish a handful of songs on heavy and I'm sweating bullets by the end but its so much fun.

Also - Updated with 2 new games (I really need to work on finishing one before I start a new one.)

7. Picross 3D (DS) - 40 Min
Just picked this one up on 2/22, already having a blast with it. So much fun and even the easy puzzles are bending my mind because 3D picross is really challenging compared to normal Picross. If you like Picross but think its a tad too easy DEFINITELY try this out. It's ridiculously cheap.

8. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (3DS VC) - 1 hour
My favorite Zelda game, got with some club nintendo coins. Playing this while I workout is a blast and fun. Forgot how much I love this game. Gonna finish this one quick I can tell/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:07:16 am by tafk »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 03:47:02 am »

First video game that ever made me cry!

What did you think of it?

@burningdoom

I agree. Best game boy game ever.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 03:49:26 am by dashv »

kashell

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 07:57:18 am »
Link's Awakening was my first (and so far only) Zelda title that I finished to completion. It was probably the most addictive title I played on my old cinder block Game Boy. Great game.

Also, yay for all of this DDR talk! I went to a bowling alley a few months ago and they had DDR there. I wanted to see if I still "had it" and, sure enough, I did. I did some 6 to 7 foot level songs (in bowling shoes no less) and tore up the proverbial floor. XD I think the highlight of the experience was when a couple of young, black girls told me, "Dang! You can dance for a white boy!" It was a good day.

rachel

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2015, 04:21:55 pm »
#1  2/18/2015 Mary-Kate and Ashley Crush Course (PS1 on PS3)
The PS1 is part of the generation of consoles I totally skipped when it was new, so now I'm going back to have a laugh at early 3D graphics. This game was surprisingly hard for a kids' game. While frustrating at times, I persevered because I absolutely had to know who had a crush on me. (It was Brent.)

#2  2/20/2015 Hoshi no Kirby (GB)
Kirby's Adventure (NES) is one of my all-time favorite games, so it was a real tragedy that I hadn't played through the original Game Boy Kirby until now. The game is super-short (I beat it on my first-ever playthrough in about 40-ish minutes), but it's absolutely beautiful. All Game Boy games should look and sound this good.

Updated.

karyann

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2015, 05:36:46 pm »
What did you think of it?

Definitely my favorite handheld Zelda game, probably second favorite Zelda ever! As a kid, I put more hours in that game than even Pokémon, and that's saying something :P It was about time I completed it. The farthest I reached as a kid was the dungeon where you could get your game stuck forever, because I got my game stuck forever and didn't know it.  :'(

I think the highlight of the experience was when a couple of young, black girls told me, "Dang! You can dance for a white boy!" It was a good day.

Haha that's a funny/cool compliment :P

kevininja

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 05:02:25 pm »
Update 2-24-15
Game #10: Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon Darkness Beaten on 2-24-15
Very enjoyable game! Bosses were a bit unfair at times, especially Doppelganger.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 10:53:07 pm »
Updated my post on page 1. I am 5 games away from 52! :)

karyann

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 09:10:44 am »
Updated my post on page 1. I am 5 games away from 52! :)

Next step: beat 52 games ;) That's gonna be tough :P
(that's great by the day! I shoul really play more games too.)

amauriel

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 10:38:14 am »
Ok, I think I want to give this a go. My New Year's Resolution was to finish more games than I buy, just to say I've made a miniscule dent in my backlog. It's really encouraged me to finish up a few games, although I'm thinking I play too many long RPGs to get to 52.

Finished so far:

1. Witch and Hero (3DS) - I had picked this up years ago and had gotten annoyed with it, even though I liked it. Yes, it was quick and a one-trick pony, but it is still a great pick up and play for when I'm at a doctor's office or waiting on someone. I got it on sale and felt I got my money's worth, but your mileage may vary.

2. Crafting Mama (DS) - I play mindless games when my husband is playing games I want to watch on the TV. The Mama games are great for this. I pause during his cutscenes and then go right back to where I was. There's little thought to this one and it's not as good as the Cooking Mama main series, but it still fills that mindless game void.

3. Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders (DS) - I finished this game but I didn't feel good about it. It felt like someone said "Hey, we can cash in on the popularity of Professor Layton" and used Agatha Christie as a vessel. Some lines were directly from the book, including some of Hercule Poirot's French without any translation or context. I'm glad I understand a little French, or I'd have felt more lost a couple of times. The puzzles were even worse, as they were almost entirely math problems of the "A train leaves the station and another one is traveling faster but left later. Which one arrives first?" variety.

4. Cooking Mama 2 (DS) - I don't know why I'd never finished this one, since I'd finished 1 and 3. Probably the best one in the series, honestly. It's got a ton to do but doesn't have the extra fluff 3 added. Good waste of time for a while.

5. James Noir's Hollywood Crimes (3DS) - Another game out of my Professor Layton clones collection that I'd never played. I used some coupons and clearance and had paid $4 for this one at a Toys 'R Us last year. Much better than The ABC Murders but still not a AAA title. The puzzles were much more enjoyable but they got a little repetitive by the end. The story was still pretty weak. It was fun at $4 but I feel bad for anyone who paid full price.

6. Grim Fandango Remastered (PS4) - One of my favorite games of all time, and I hadn't played it in its entirety since it was first released. I was pumped to play it again, and my husband got to watch the game I've talked about for years without fighting with wonky settings on a computer for days before the game would boot and have audio. If you like point and click adventures at all, I'd strongly recommend it. The new non-tank controls were absolutely an improvement over the old PC controls. Not sure if I'll ever go back and get the trophy for playing through the whole thing with the old tank controls just because the new ones are so much better.

7. Fantasy Life (3DS) - No, I haven't gotten the DLC for this one. I have to admit, by the time I played through all the lives, the game was getting a bit repetitive. But the story was great and the game, overall, solidified how much I love Level 5, even beyond their Layton games. (Wow, I've mentioned Layton a lot so far!) The lives were unique and I really liked how much stuff Level 5 managed to get in this game and have it still all be cohesive.

8. Majora's Mask 3D (3DS) - Another game I haven't played all the way through since it first released, and another game I've always enjoyed. I was amazed at how much I'd forgotten in the last 15 years, especially when it came to some of the lengthier fetch and deliver quests. Still, the N64 Zeldas remain my favorites and Majora's Mask added a ton to the Zelda lore, including Tingle, the Great Fairy Sword (used later in Soul Calibur II on the GameCube) and the Fierce Deity. I, of course, took the time to get all the masks and pummel Majora.  ;D

9. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita) - Played this one on the PS TV and it worked out much better than I expected. Really, really good game, even if the end was just a bit over-written for my liking. Ronalopolis watched me play through it and this was his first experience with a game from that "visual novel" genre. I think he is starting to understand why I (as someone with an English degree) gravitate toward them so often. We've already picked up the sequel, so I'm pretty sure that'll be on the list soon too.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:18:27 pm by amauriel »
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."