Author Topic: Help me give my Saturn some love!  (Read 2959 times)

pizzasafari

Help me give my Saturn some love!
« on: February 18, 2015, 05:47:36 pm »
So I have the misfortune of being a game collector living in the UK. To say the least, back in the days of old, we didn't get many games.

Well okay, we kind of did, but every time I hear about an old game that really really catches my attention and I decide to look into it, I find out it never made it into Europe and I can't play it.

Most consoles I can at least find other games I like for, but my Saturn is picking up dust pretty bad right now because I'm really struggling to find some games for it that look interesting to me that were released here. Pretty much the only exclusives I have for it that I can get into are the Panzer Dragoon games, and I've turned every top 10 Saturn games list upside-down to find more I like the look of with no success.

So, fellow buyers of old things, can you guys recommend me some Saturn games you like that were released in the UK?
If it helps with recommendations I love me a good story in a game, and I particularly like turn-based or similar style JRPGs. I also like games that try something new/are generally different from other games I've played. I'm a sucker for good soundtracks too. But any recommendations are fine.

At the moment the exclusives I have are Panzer Dragoon 1 2 & Saga, Nights into Dreams and Clockwork Knight.

There are some games that I have my eye on but cost every penny I will ever make in my life ever, but if I see people recommending them I'll try to prioritise them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:00:54 pm by LeJason »

dreama1

Re: Help me give my Saturn some love!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 06:14:57 pm »
So I have the misfortune of being a game collector living in the UK. To say the least, back in the days of old, we didn't get many games.

Well okay, we kind of did, but every time I hear about an old game that really really catches my attention and I decide to look into it, I find out it never made it into Europe and I can't play it.

Most consoles I can at least find other games I like for, but my Saturn is picking up dust pretty bad right now because I'm really struggling to find some games for it that look interesting to me that were released here. Pretty much the only exclusives I have for it that I can get into are the Panzer Dragoon games, and I've turned every top 10 Saturn games list upside-down to find more I like the look of with no success.

So, fellow buyers of old things, can you guys recommend me some Saturn games you like that were released in the UK?
If it helps with recommendations I love me a good story in a game, and I particularly like turn-based or similar style JRPGs. I also like games that try something new/are generally different from other games I've played. I'm a sucker for good soundtracks too. But any recommendations are fine.

At the moment the exclusives I have are Panzer Dragoon 1 2 & Saga, Nights into Dreams and Clockwork Knight.

There are some games that I have my eye on but cost every penny I will ever make in my life ever, but if I see people recommending them I'll try to prioritise them.
Check out my sega saturn collection. Don't mean to brag but you should find what you're looking for there.

pizzasafari

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 06:42:09 pm »
Check out my sega saturn collection. Don't mean to brag but you should find what you're looking for there.

I've heard Shining the Holy Ark mentioned a fair bit but never thought to look it up, that one looks interesting. Also had no idea Parodius was on the Saturn, I'm pretty short on shmups, I'll probably try and pick it up.

Thanks for that! :D

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 06:54:40 pm »

I've heard Shining the Holy Ark mentioned a fair bit but never thought to look it up, that one looks interesting. Also had no idea Parodius was on the Saturn, I'm pretty short on shmups, I'll probably try and pick it up.

Thanks for that! :D
Was quite surprized with shining the holy ark it's actually really good.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 07:36:06 pm »
I had the same problem. Even the common Saturn games are starting to get in to the $30-$40 range, on the cheap end. I JUST sold my Saturn because I didn't see myself spending that much on common games anymore. And the RPGs and shoot-em ups I REALLY want are way out of my price-range.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:10:30 pm »
Sega Saturn was the first console I ever collected for and even back in 2008 when I was predominantly collecting for it, it was a rich man's console. I was able to get games like Die Hard Arcade, Nights, and Shinobi Legions for cheap, but forget the RPGs! Due to financial necessity and the fact that I could not afford to collect for it I sold of my collection for a pretty penny back around 2009. I sort of got back into Saturn collecting when I began collecting for a bunch of other consoles, but only Japanese imports. The reason I exclusively collected Saturn imports was because 1) they were a lot cheaper than their NTSC/PAL counterparts and 2) the Saturn was supported way more in Japan. However, one thing I have noticed is that even import Saturn collecting is starting to take off, still cheaper though.

dreama1

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 11:50:18 pm »
Sega Saturn was the first console I ever collected for and even back in 2008 when I was predominantly collecting for it, it was a rich man's console. I was able to get games like Die Hard Arcade, Nights, and Shinobi Legions for cheap, but forget the RPGs! Due to financial necessity and the fact that I could not afford to collect for it I sold of my collection for a pretty penny back around 2009. I sort of got back into Saturn collecting when I began collecting for a bunch of other consoles, but only Japanese imports. The reason I exclusively collected Saturn imports was because 1) they were a lot cheaper than their NTSC/PAL counterparts and 2) the Saturn was supported way more in Japan. However, one thing I have noticed is that even import Saturn collecting is starting to take off, still cheaper though.
Wouldn't say it's a rich mans console. The neo geo is the only rich mans console or the NES if you're going boxed.

pizzasafari

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 06:44:06 pm »

I have heard that the Japanese imports are good, but region modding my Saturn just isn't an option unfortunately... the chips are elusive as hell here and people who know to put them in are even more elusive. Same with boot discs, those seem to have completely disappeared from circulation these days. Which sucks, because like I said in the OP there're so so so so many games I want that never made it into Europe, across most consoles. Don't get me started on RPGs.
Unless there's another way of getting past the region lock with the Saturn?

abe

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 08:24:57 pm »

I have heard that the Japanese imports are good, but region modding my Saturn just isn't an option unfortunately... the chips are elusive as hell here and people who know to put them in are even more elusive. Same with boot discs, those seem to have completely disappeared from circulation these days. Which sucks, because like I said in the OP there're so so so so many games I want that never made it into Europe, across most consoles. Don't get me started on RPGs.

From what I've read, you can use one of these to get around the region locking: http://www.play-asia.com/action-replay-4m-auto-plus-paOS-13-49-en-70-1b2.html
No modifications required. Here's a nice video review of it that explains things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg_2Gm9XtSs
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

maximo310

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 11:49:16 pm »

From what I've read, you can use one of these to get around the region locking: http://www.play-asia.com/action-replay-4m-auto-plus-paOS-13-49-en-70-1b2.html
No modifications required. Here's a nice video review of it that explains things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg_2Gm9XtSs
Yep, I have one of those for my saturn, and it bypasses the region lock and has some save data built into the cart. The best part is it will let you play any of those games that need the 1MB and 4MB Ram upgrades. The only thing it doesn't cover is the ROM expansion for King of Fighters 95. The saturn is a great system to collect, but many of the titles are insanely expensive, especially if you are looking for shmups like Battle Garegga or Hyper Duel. Many of the great fighting/shmup/rpgs are not cheap, although certain common titles are generally cheaper by a decent amount if you get the Japanese version of the game. So I'd only reccomend buying games for it if you're willing to commit the money to it, because deals for most Saturn games are very small nowadays, and its still popular for collecting, so prices aren't going to drop anytime soon;they'd be more likely to increase in my opinion.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 09:56:22 am »
I'd just like to mention Die Hard Arcade. 

In many ways, it was a spiritual successor to the Streets of Rage series, and use some of the same mechanics (such as for grabbing enemies), but was polygonal and tons of fun.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 05:36:08 pm »
I'm looking for suggestions as well. Mostly I will be getting some shmups from japan, but I was wondering if there were any good story driven games on the Saturn (PAL or NTSC). I am aware that SEGA specializes in arcade style quick game play, but I do love story driven games and I was wondering about suggestions. Also, I would rather not play any turn based RPGs.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 05:41:43 pm »
RPG's on the saturn that aren't $100+? Anyone?

abe

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 08:59:02 pm »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

stealthrush

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 03:39:56 am »
Here are a few of my favorite PAL-released games that are relatively affordable:

Panzer Dragoon
Nights Into Dreams...
Street Fighter Alpha
GunGriffon
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Mystaria: The Realms of Lore
Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge
X-Men Children of Atom
Marvel Super Heroes
Three Dirty Dwarves
Virtua Cop

If you plan on buying a JP Sega Saturn most imported titles are not as nearly expensive as NA/PAL releases. EX. Guardian Heroes
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:00:34 am by stealthrush »