Author Topic: What Qualifies as "Complete?"  (Read 4039 times)

What Qualifies as "Complete?"
« on: March 12, 2015, 12:39:03 pm »
Here's a question I've been wondering about...

I see a lot of people who are always looking to buy manuals, game boxes, etc. So I was curious... if a game is 'complete', does it need to have all of the original items together when you buy it, or can you piece together a 'complete' version?

For some reason, I have this sort of nagging peeve about 'piecing' a game together; if a 3DS game has the cart and box, but not the manual (for example), I tend not to buy it because it doesn't feel... 'naturally complete?'

So, can a game be 'pieced' together and listed as complete? Do you usually put a note about this somewhere? If you were to resell a game, do you have to make a note about it? As an afterthought, does replacing a box (let's say a PS3 clear case) with a licensed new one (because the old one had a hole or something) still count as being the 'original' game?

I know this seems a bit silly, but it bothers me a bit, for some reason.  :P I guess it's like when you buy antiques; if something is refurbished, you usually say that. But games don't seem to have that same principle, since you can always replace bits and pieces easily enough.

Let me know your thoughts.  :D

Re: What Qualifies as "Complete?"
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 12:44:16 pm »
The way I see it is this does not matter in the least.  Think about it logically.  Unless you personally bought the game with the case but no manual and completed it, you're the only one who will ever know.  If you buy a game anywhere, you have no proof it is the original.  Even if it had something unique about that certain game, if I get two copies of the same one complete, I take the best pieces of both to make the best copy.  There is no proof of anything you do to make a copy of a game better so don't over think it because unless you bought it brand new there is no way to know if those were all the originals.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 01:04:20 pm »
Complete = Disc, Case, Artwork, & Manual.

In modern game's cases, a lot of them no longer come with manuals. Obviously in those cases, I wouldn't consider the manual as part of the complete package.

And I wouldn't know the difference if someone pieced it together to complete or not. So personally, I have no problem with that.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 01:21:00 pm »
Would I notice if a CIB game I bought on eBay didnt have its own manual/case? No. So I piece stuff together all the time. Give those straggling manuals/discs a complete home.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 01:43:49 pm »
Having the extra inserts outside of manual/box/box art/game is a plus, but not necessary for me to still consider the game complete.

Having that extra stuff is nice - makes it look like the game was barely used or was just freshly opened.

Otherwise, I don't lose sleep over it.

Not having the manual (if it's supposed to have one), however...  >:(

Also, yeah, I don't care if I or someone else pieces it together. As long as it's there and in nice condition, I'm good :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 01:50:39 pm »
As long as all of the items (case, disc, insert, manual, etc.) are original items, it doesn't matter to me if it was pieced together.  It's no different than buying a replacement part for your car.  It's still the same car.

Now as far as buying a game missing the manual (if it is a game that originally included a manual), under most circumstances I won't do it.  It nags me.  If it's a high dollar game, missing the manual but for a great price, I definitely consider it.  Under those circumstances, you can usually find a manual for sale online. 

On the flipside, when digging through boxes at mom & pop shops, if I come across a manual I will usually snag it up, even if it's a game I don't own.  Just recently, I found the manuals for both SaGa games for the PS2 as well as instructions and case art inserts for a dozen or more Nintendo DS titles.  I currently don't own the 2nd Assassin's Creed DS game, but I found the case, art and manual at the store and snagged it.  It's super easy to find the cartridges for sale online and in Gamestop's, but they almost never have the box and manual.  I also found the box with art inserts (sadly, no manual) for the 1st Suikoden for the PlayStation. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:56:21 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 02:04:54 pm »

In modern game's cases, a lot of them no longer come with manuals. Obviously in those cases, I wouldn't consider the manual as part of the complete package.

And I wouldn't know the difference if someone pieced it together to complete or not. So personally, I have no problem with that.

This is how I feel.

No manual? No buying. No original art work or insert? No buying. No box/case? No buying. It boggles my mind how people will just throw there boxes or manuals away without a second thought. Would they do this with board games? With movies? With music? No, but for some reason they see the manual and pitch it. It drives me crazy.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 02:06:59 pm »

This is how I feel.

No manual? No buying. No original art work or insert? No buying. No box/case? No buying. It boggles my mind how people will just throw there boxes or manuals away without a second thought. Would they do this with board games? With movies? With music? No, but for some reason they see the manual and pitch it. It drives me crazy.

Oh, I will still buy an incomplete game, because I'm a cheap-skate. I was just saying what I expect if I buy a game with the word "complete" in the description.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 02:10:46 pm »
To me complete is having everything included that a package originally contained. Flyers, adverts, Health & Safety information, registration forms.

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 02:15:53 pm »
You could also say that it's not "complete" unless it has the original shrink wrap, it depends how far you want to take it.  I piece together complete games all the time, you just have to make sure you don't end up with a US cartridge and a UK box or something, which is easy to do with Gameboy games.  A pet peeve of mine is if someone is selling a game as complete and it has the original box and a greatest hits cartridge/disc.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 02:18:40 pm »
Another vote for *any* complete set = "complete".

It's no more complete if the game, manual, case, and insert are all originally from the same item, than if each piece comes from a different one.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 02:29:21 pm »
You could also say that it's not "complete" unless it has the original shrink wrap, it depends how far you want to take it.  I piece together complete games all the time, you just have to make sure you don't end up with a US cartridge and a UK box or something, which is easy to do with Gameboy games.  A pet peeve of mine is if someone is selling a game as complete and it has the original box and a greatest hits cartridge/disc.

Oooo, yeah, that'd bug me.  Those are two diff items in my opinion.  Can't mix and match those.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 02:30:55 pm »
Everyone has their own definition of what "complete" means.  For me, it's disc + case + artwork + manual.  If a game came with a map, that should be included as well or any other item.  For instance, Lunar 2 without the pendant is not complete. 

Flyers, registration cards, DLC voucher card, etc. are not needed for me to feel like I have a complete game.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 02:33:00 pm »
Everyone has their own definition of what "complete" means.  For me, it's disc + case + artwork + manual.  If a game came with a map, that should be included as well or any other item.  For instance, Lunar 2 without the pendant is not complete. 

Flyers, registration cards, DLC voucher card, etc. are not needed for me to feel like I have a complete game.

Ah yes, good point.  Game-related inserts are important for me, too.

Rewards cards, reg cards are not needed but cool if they happen to be in there.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 03:55:44 pm »

This is my exact view on it.