Author Topic: Xbox or Gamecube  (Read 10202 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Xbox or Gamecube
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2016, 02:35:57 pm »
Original XBOX imo is the best console of all time.  KOTOR, Halo, Fable, Doom 3, Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden, Forza, Project Gotham.

Wow.  I don't think I've ever heard someone say that. 
I'm not doubting you.  It's just a unique opinion.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2016, 03:56:58 pm »
I must say most good XBox games have aged incredibly well.

If your not playing with the HD kit and optical audio out you have no idea what you are missing.

Burnout
Dead or Alive
Simpsons Hit n Run
Ninja Gaiden

Look and sound incredible for their time.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2016, 03:58:42 pm »
During that generation, it was my console of choice after the Dreamcast officially died. Best ports of games, and a very strong and underrated group of console exclusives (I'm simply not a PC Gamer, so the PC ports are meaningless to me).

I even used it as my personal music player for a while thanks to the hard-drive.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:05:20 pm by burningdoom »

soera

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2016, 04:13:16 pm »
Original Xbox imo is the best Xbox console of all time.  Morrowind. End of thread.

Went ahead and adjusted your comment for you. You`re welcome.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2016, 04:27:46 pm »
^ Morrowind was the reason I decided to buy an XBox. No other game that generation compared to the size and scope of that game.

But I think the following game in the series, Oblivion, is the greatest game of all time.

shfan

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2016, 05:31:13 pm »
Better? No intention of trying to answer that. Which I preferred? Probably the Xbox, though both are superb machines (along with the PS2 and its vast library of exclusives and the GBA and its sublime 2D goodness).

The Gamecube's main strengths to me are its first-party games and it's Japanese-leaning exclusives. The Xbox, on the other hand, was weak in J-flavoured games but still had Sega's "Dreamcast 2" range and interesting exclusives like Voodoo Vince, as well as a large clutch of games which didn't reach the Cube.

That era was definitely one I'll be revisiting for years to come, 3D gaming finally became not-crap and at least the GBA kept 2D alive.

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2016, 08:00:02 am »
Original XBOX imo is the best console of all time.  KOTOR, Halo, Fable, Doom 3, Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden, Forza, Project Gotham.

Wow.  I don't think I've ever heard someone say that. 
I'm not doubting you.  It's just a unique opinion.

I got it when I was 11 years old, so for me it is. It's all perspective, people in their 30's typically say NES or SNES. kid's today will probably say PS4, Wii U, or XBOX one in 15 years.

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2016, 02:38:32 am »
GameCube because of:
  • Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
  • Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
  • P.N.03
  • Skies of Arcadia: Legends
  • Star Fox: Adventures
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Tales of Symphonia
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
  • The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2016, 07:33:07 pm »
Both systems were great but i played alot more games on xbox so xbox it is.

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2016, 10:22:04 am »
I prefer the Xbox because of the quantity of games available. If you don't count multi-platforms titles Gamecube probably have less than 20 decent games. (Mario Sunshine, Star Fox Assault, Twillight Princess, Wind Waker, Picmin 1 and 2, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bross, Eternal Darkness, F-Zero, Mario Golf and FF:CC). Those are really good games and many of them are better than any game on Xbox. Damn! Some of them are better than any game ever release till today. But other exclusives are not really good or only "ok" games (Luigi Mansion, 1080, Wave Race or Star Fox Adventures for exemple), not good enough to justify to buy a console.

Xbox was an awesome console with many many good games and a lot of exclusive titles : Arx Fatalis, Morrowind, JSRF, Amped 1 and 2, Rallisport Challenge 1 and 2, Fable, Forza, Halo 1 & 2, Jade Empire, Mech Assault 1 & 2, Ninja Gaiden, PGR 1 & 2 and many more). I don't know if you played Rallisport Challenge recently but theses 2 games are graphically OUTSTANDING even with today standards.

More importantly, for me anyway, Xbox has Xbox Live. At that time the one and only decent online gaming platform on a console. Let be honest, PS2 online service sucked. And Gamecube, aside of Phantasy Star, don't have any online titles.

I can't count how many hours I pass online on my Xbox playing Unreal Championship, Mech Assault and Return To Castle Wolfenstein chatting with my teammates. I still have many of the "friends" I made at that time in my Xbox One friendlist.

The original Xbox was the first console I bought by myself. Coming from the PC world, Xbox Live was a huge advantage in favor of the Xbox when came the time to choose a system. Next November, when the renewal will pass on my credit card, I will be a Xbox Live subscriber for 14 years, uninterrupted! So for sure Xbox has been a more significant console in my life than the Gamecube or any other Nintendo system to be honest (I was in the Genesis/Megadrive team)

So at your question my answer is : Xbox

;P
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:30:56 am by neverlooz »

kashell

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2016, 10:49:39 am »
I'm going with the 'Cube. I love that it has a handle and that its discs are bite sized. I'm sure that there are some Xbox games out there that would be fun, but I would much rather go with the ones that are more fun on the Game Cube such as:

Tales of Symphonia
Baiten Kaitos
Skies of Arcadia
Melee
Eternal Darkness

There are more, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind when I hear the words "game" and "cube" next to one another. It's an underrated system.

I don't really care for its controller, but that's another story. At least it fits in your hands unlike the Xbox's whopper sized controller.

gf78

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2016, 11:02:57 am »
I'm going with the 'Cube. I love that it has a handle and that its discs are bite sized. I'm sure that there are some Xbox games out there that would be fun, but I would much rather go with the ones that are more fun on the Game Cube such as:

Tales of Symphonia
Baiten Kaitos
Skies of Arcadia
Melee
Eternal Darkness

There are more, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind when I hear the words "game" and "cube" next to one another. It's an underrated system.

I don't really care for its controller, but that's another story. At least it fits in your hands unlike the Xbox's whopper sized controller.

To be fair, I hated the Xbox "Duke" controller but loved the "S" controller.  And in the era of wired controllers being standard, the Xbox controllers had the longest cords on the market and the cool "break away" feature so you didn't pull a two-ton console off the shelf. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2016, 11:27:25 am »
I'm not even familiar with the S controller. Was that a smaller version of the original controller?

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2016, 11:28:20 am »
To be fair, I hated the Xbox "Duke" controller but loved the "S" controller.  And in the era of wired controllers being standard, the Xbox controllers had the longest cords on the market and the cool "break away" feature so you didn't pull a two-ton console off the shelf.

And gamecube had the shortest cords on the market for sure! Probably in the purpose of selling wavebird controller.

gf78

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2016, 11:39:04 am »
And gamecube had the shortest cords on the market for sure! Probably in the purpose of selling wavebird controller.

Yeah...they were pretty short.  I think only Dreamcast came with shorter cables.  I was never a big fan of the Gamecube controller.  I didn't like the giant "A" button and the bean-shaped "X" and "Y" buttons.  The shoulder buttons also never felt comfortable to me and  the C-stick was annoying as my thumb slipped off it like it was coated in baby oil.  The D-pad was tiny, the Z-trigger was wonky....I just didn't like much of anything about it.  At least I can say it was more comfortable to hold than the N64 controller.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us