Author Topic: Xbox or Gamecube  (Read 10190 times)

indenton

Re: Xbox or Gamecube
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 06:18:23 pm »
I would say Gamecube too, they both share a lot of multi-platform games as well as the PlayStation 2, so if you already have a PS2, you can probably set aside the multi-platforms for now.  A lot of great Exclusives on the gamecube from franchises which either had some great one-hit wonders and a cult following, or they're still running strong today. 

On the other hand, a lot of the Xbox exclusives never really amounted to anything, some for good reason. 

So officially I'll say Gamecube, but in my circumstance, an Xbox would be more practical, there are still a 'few' exclusives that interest me, namely 'Jet Set Radio Future'. 

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 08:24:14 pm »
I'm not really big on either system but I would lean to the Gamecube. The primary reason I own one at all is for the gameboy player, although there are some great racing games on the system. Not a fan of Nintendo's 1st party IP's so that doesn't factor into it for me.

azure

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 08:35:12 am »
GameCube has my pick, because I love it. So many good games and accessories.

gf78

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 09:21:17 am »
Depends on what you are looking for really.

The Xbox console advantages were the built-in HDD, online gaming, custom soundtracks and best-in-class graphics.

The Gamecube console advantages were the GameBoy Advance Player and Wavebird controller.  It was also no slouch in graphics.

The Xbox had quite a few solid exclusives.  Halo, Dead or Alive, Forza, Project Gotham Racing, Voodoo Vince and the Otogi games were standouts for me.

The Gamecube had a solid lineup of exclusives.  Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Luigi's Mansion, Starfox, etc.  And who can forget the unforgettable Rouge Leader?  You got to make the mother-F'in Deathstar trench run!

I own and/or have owned both.  It's hard for me to pick a favorite because both were so different and unique.  If I had to pick the one I played the most, it would be the Xbox.  I cannot tell you how many hours I dumped into Halo and Project Gotham Racing on that console.  On the same token, I had more frustration with Xbox than the Gamecube.  While my Gamecube ran flawlessly every single time I used it, I went through several Xbox units because of HDD errors, dirty disc errors, etc.  I had bad luck with Xbox hardware and atrocious luck with 360 hardware.  Hence, why I won't buy an Xbox One.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 10:07:31 am »
The XBox didn't even have a handle  ::)

gf78

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 11:13:35 am »
The XBox didn't even have a handle  ::)

LOL!  True, true.   8)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 11:40:30 am »
I'd say Gamecube probably because of the stuff with it. I know that Xbox has better multiplats in most cases and a better sound system and the hard drive. However, I feel like the Gamecube has a bit of a more diverse library of exclusive games compared to the xbox, and with optimal accessories like the gamecube, it can double as the perfect way to play all Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games on your TV in 480p( or 480i w/o component), which I feel is something that can't be overlooked given the amount of titles available. I also really like the controller for the Gamecube over the Xbox controller layout, and most of the multiplats I've found for gamecube are mostly good so far. Online support for gamecube is pretty bad compared to the xbox, but there are ways to still play a few games like Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1+II online thanks to private servers. The graphics are pretty good for a 1999 chipset design and its got very fast loading times compared to xbox(+ps2)due to the mini-dvd discs( limited data is a downer) and design.

So I'd think I've give Gamecube a slight edge over the Xbox, and I enjoy picking up stuff for both( even if most of the xbox titles I find in the wild are usually sports games).
Can't agree with that as i look through the game lists of both.

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 11:42:46 am »
I personally own neither of these consoles, I have a Wii which I take advantage of the backwards compatibility, I was thinking of getting some original Xbox games for my 360, but then I found out about what I mentioned previously (and now I've sold my Xbox 360). 

It looks like the majority here are swaying towards Xbox, but in the end, it comes down to what exclusives appeal to you.  Surely you should be able to find a list of exclusives available on each platform.
Well exclusives and features of course. Both of which had quite a few.

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 02:52:16 pm »
I prefer the controller and small form factor of the GameCube, but the Xbox had more worthwhile games overall, particularly for Sega fans. I wasn't particularly crazy about either of them, though - not enough worthwhile exclusives, and as much as I disliked the XB's bulk, I also disliked the plastic toy feel of the GC controller.

maximo310

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 03:55:38 pm »
I'd say Gamecube probably because of the stuff with it. I know that Xbox has better multiplats in most cases and a better sound system and the hard drive. However, I feel like the Gamecube has a bit of a more diverse library of exclusive games compared to the xbox, and with optimal accessories like the gamecube, it can double as the perfect way to play all Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games on your TV in 480p( or 480i w/o component), which I feel is something that can't be overlooked given the amount of titles available. I also really like the controller for the Gamecube over the Xbox controller layout, and most of the multiplats I've found for gamecube are mostly good so far. Online support for gamecube is pretty bad compared to the xbox, but there are ways to still play a few games like Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1+II online thanks to private servers. The graphics are pretty good for a 1999 chipset design and its got very fast loading times compared to xbox(+ps2)due to the mini-dvd discs( limited data is a downer) and design.

So I'd think I've give Gamecube a slight edge over the Xbox, and I enjoy picking up stuff for both( even if most of the xbox titles I find in the wild are usually sports games).
Can't agree with that as i look through the game lists of both.
Honestly, for exclusive games both systems are pretty close, but I think the genres you enjoy will probably be the tipping point in which console exclusives you prefer over the other. In my opinion, many of the exclusives on the Gamecube are worth buying the system for, it has a good variety in games with a few genres being pretty underrepresented, and even for some of the games that were initially exclusive to gamecube but got ports to either ps2/xbox, the gamecube versions ran much better than the ported versions( part of it is to really sloppy work by Sega of America). It's my fav system, and I prefer its exclusives to the exclusives on the  original Xbox by a small margin.

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 06:27:54 pm »
I grew up with a PS2 but if I had to choose I would pick Gamecube! The Xbox had some great exclusives such as Morrowind, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and of course Halo. But the Gamecube had way too many amazing exclusive characters packed into their games. Freaking Mario Party, Sunshine, Super Smash Bros, Metroid Prime, Zelda four swords, twilight Princess, Windwaker, Luigis Mansion, Mario kart, Star Fox Assault, and the list goes on. The PS2 had some exclusive characters as well like sly, ratchet and clank, and Jak & Daxter. But I really Don't remember any from the X-box besides master Chief, and Blinx.   

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 11:25:29 am »
I'm going with the lovable little purple lunchbox.  Gamecube is the winner  All the first party stuff and Rogue Squadron

Xbox comes close because it has 2 of my favorite games of all time on it.  Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is fantastic.  I don't think there will be another game like it.

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 04:46:28 pm »
Oh the Gamecube for me too, holy crap that fantastic controller. Arguably some of the best "new" Nintendo games aside from Super Mario Sunshine. It also birthed some new franchises for Nintendo as well, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Metroid Prime and Animal Crossing at least here in the states. Not to mention the first good Wireless controller. I absolutely love the gamecube and still play it regularly via the wii component out.
I will say though the Xbox is neat because of Sega's influence Panzer Dragoon and GunValkyrie as well as Crazy Taxi 3
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:51:47 pm by kingrat101 »

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 06:22:02 pm »
One plus for xbox is that the games are super cheap right now. Most games run under 5 dollars. Gamecube has been treading lately so prices are just going up in general.

gf78

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 09:58:29 am »
One plus for xbox is that the games are super cheap right now. Most games run under 5 dollars. Gamecube has been treading lately so prices are just going up in general.

It is a good time to pick up old Xbox games.  I was browsing through them at V-Stock and most are around $6.99.