Author Topic: What to do with loose games?  (Read 15258 times)

darko

What to do with loose games?
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:42:46 pm »
Thought I'd start a thread to discuss custom label/case options for various carts/discs. @azai392 started a thread earlier today asking about N64 case options and I've been toying with a little project this evening that ended up solving my issue of loose GBA games.

I snagged some GBA box scans turned into DS labels from: http://thecoverproject.net

I ordered some empty DS cases directly from Nintendo: Nintendo Store (US)

I took the images to OfficeMax and had them printed on "100 lb Elite Glossy Text" paper (practically the same thing Nintendo uses). I also had them use a LaserJet printer.

And finally, I cut out the labels and popped them into the cases.

Everything came out better than I expected.

The lighting sucks since it's midnight and my phone's camera doesn't get along with the glossy cover on the cases. Regardless, here are a few pics of what I ended up with (they don't look hazy in person):

Just because I had a case-less DS game lying around:

There is literally no difference in this versus the label for the game. It's really crazy how well it turned out. If you feel the paper on any of my complete DS games and compare you can't tell a difference.

I'll eventually have the boxes to all of the games I did this for but honestly, I'll probably start displaying all of my GBA games like this. They fit much better on my shelves and I don't have to worry about messing up the original boxes.

The total project cost me ~$40. It would have been less but I had to buy an Exacto knife and a Triangle for the cutting since I'm anal and didn't trust the people who printed the covers to cut them. I ordered 20 game cases from Nintendo for ~$20 and the printing was ~$10.

I'm very happy with the results besides Mario Kart. I'll probably spend some more time getting the top just right so there isn't that little extra white on the top of the spine...like I said, I'm anal :)

Has anyone else tackled this type of project? Would love to see some pics if you have!

scott

Re: What to do with loose games?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:36:53 am »
I have ton of caseless gba games and that seems like a really cheap solution. I may do something like this.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:16:09 am »
im with you, i just used the cover project to make all my cases for my gba games and i gotta say they look great. hats off to those people its a great resource. I even found virtual boy cases scans there!
you can see my pics under the game room pics thread.

nice work

pacpix

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:27:37 am »
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

darko

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:31:13 am »
http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=USCG

I use these for my loose carts.

I'll be doing the same soon for SNES, N64 and Genesis games. I'll probably go with 200 to start off and see what kind of space issues I have after that. I'll get everything in a nice case after I have some custom shelving put in.

I'll probably end up putting all of my cart based games in custom cases and storing the boxes so everything looks nice and tidy. Some of the collector's on thecoverproject have amazing looking collections...all in custom cases.

azai392

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 10:12:32 am »
I snagged some GBA box scans turned into DS labels from: http://thecoverproject.net

Yeah! I looked into that site when you put it on my thread and it is suuuuper awesome and I can't wait to use those Universal case to put my bigger carts in and these DS cases for the rest. I really like the look of the Boxes on my shelves.

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 11:34:53 am »
I love loose games, they take up so much less space! If I have a choice I will always buy the most complete verson I can find but my GBA games are just in nice little stacks. As I get more I plan to do up a binder to keep them in.

darko

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 12:32:41 pm »
I love loose games, they take up so much less space! If I have a choice I will always buy the most complete verson I can find but my GBA games are just in nice little stacks. As I get more I plan to do up a binder to keep them in.

I always get frustrated digging through them to find what I want. Plus, they're difficult to display without a case.

scott

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 01:10:41 pm »
My gba carts being loose is the reason the dogs ate Metroid NES Classics, Gunstar Super Heroes and Castlevania Aria of Sorrow. And teeth marked Castlevania NES Classics... :(
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

forte

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 02:00:44 pm »
I've been doing this with some original GB games I didn't have boxes for, now I'm working on some loose NGPC games. It takes a little modification to the case, but can be done with minimal effort.

hexen

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 03:06:19 pm »
Most games I don't mind being loose, but some I just feel boxes are almost necessary (Who the hell throws out a plastic clamshell Genesis box?!)

Loose game certainly do fit WAY better on a shelf, and look really nice doing it unless the are an odd proportion. Most of loose games are just on shelves, but in the old days when I had a TON of duplicate NES games, I had them on a pile on the floor in the corner of my room that reached the ceiling. I was so lucky that it didn't topple before I was able to sell them all.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

darko

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 06:33:59 pm »
Holy crap...these are amazing! Minimalist

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:40:14 pm »
very very nicely done! i'll take some for all of my gameboy games.

darko

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 10:12:49 pm »
Inspired by that minimalist artwork, I decided to give it a try. Really just messing around but it's a start!

With front logo:

Without front logo (like this one better):

Thoughts?

azai392

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 11:02:20 pm »
That looks really cool! I really like the beam that goes around the case.