Author Topic: The Nintendo "NX"  (Read 26190 times)

Re: The Nintendo "NX"
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 11:48:56 am »

It's just an unfortunate reality that even though the Wii U can have great looking games and is capable of decent (though not as good graphically) ports of PS4 and 'bone titles, 3rd parties don't see it being worthwhile. 

Nintendo might as well face it that the sales of Wii were an anomaly.  They aren't going to magically reclaim those glory days.  They can either buckle down on their next console and fall in line with what the other two are doing, or they can continue to march to the beat of their own drum and see where they end up.  For all the "Nintendo apologists" you hear from, talking about how Nintendo is fine, they make money, they don't need to change, etc....it's obvious Nintendo themselves feel they need to change.  It's evident in their announcements.  It's evident by them deciding to entice mobile phone/tablet users to get into the Nintendo ecosystem with the hopes they buy a Nintendo system by making mobile apps. 

They are not making these changes because a bunch of armchair internet analysts are saying they need to do blah, blah, blah.  They are changing because they see the writing on the proverbial wall and realize that the business model they have so strictly adhered to is seeing depreciating returns. 

The Wii U isn't worthwhile to 3rd parties.  It can't handle next-gen and upcoming game engines (like Unreal 4), it has no harddrive to store or install bigger titles, and it's lacking the online infrastructure or user accounts necessary to support so many modern games. 

I think you're absolutely right that the Wii was an anomaly, and that Nintendo doesn't understand that.  I think the mobile deal with DeNA is their first step to realizing that there is more money in going software-only for them than in wasting time making hardware that just confuses and annoys the vast majority of the gaming public.

indenton

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 08:04:25 pm »
Here are my quick 2 cents on this:

NX is a new console that will initially be released as a "third tier" the way the DS was.  If successful, the Wii U and/or the 3DS (if it is indeed the integrated console of legend) will be quietly and quickly retired within a year.

Are we really talking about retiring the New 3DS? We have yet to here about any other New 3DS exclusive games.  E3 2015 might address that maybe???

It will not have a GamePad-like controller, as the GamePad has largely failed to live up to it's promises, and has been quite frequently noted as a thorn in the side of the console actually preventing sales.

The Xbox One Controller feels silky smooth, the 'Wii U Pro Controller' seems pretty competent.  Maybe they can work with that.  Not the life support edition which is the 'Classic Controller'. 

I would not be surprised if Zelda U became Zelda NX, or pulled a cross-platform release like Twilight Princess.

If this happens, I think we can officially get out the wooden stake.  If you haven't already, that is.  I don't think this will go down the same way as it did with Twilight Princess. 

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 10:10:23 pm »
Here are my quick 2 cents on this:

NX is a new console that will initially be released as a "third tier" the way the DS was.  If successful, the Wii U and/or the 3DS (if it is indeed the integrated console of legend) will be quietly and quickly retired within a year.

It will launch in November 2016, following the timetable of announcement-to-release of most recent Nintendo hardware, particularly the Wii U and 3DS, which had less than 18 months before announcement and release.

It will not carry the Wii moniker, which has been badly tarnished by the Wii U.

It will not have a GamePad-like controller, as the GamePad has largely failed to live up to it's promises, and has been quite frequently noted as a thorn in the side of the console actually preventing sales.

I would not be surprised if Zelda U became Zelda NX, or pulled a cross-platform release like Twilight Princess.

I also think it's extremely important to launch no later than 2016--and Iwata has made mention of "returning to Nintendo-like profits" by the end of the fiscal year ending March 2017, which likely indicates a 2016 release.  Primarily because the Wii U is already moving into it's end-of-cycle decline like the N64, GameCube, and Wii during their final two years on the market and the total lack of 3rd party support supports the hypothesis of "end of cycle" decline.

The big problem, however, is that the Steam Machines are launching this year, which means Nintendo will be launching in the face of three strong competitors, two of whom (PS4 and XBO) will be planted firmly in their peak years (2016~2018), which means it will be extremely difficult for Nintendo to even be noticed in this crowd, particularly when they are barely registering to consumers now as it is.   

Guaranteed the NX will not be out in 2016.  It has no reason to rush out.  Sure, the Wii U isn't gonna be the big seller it was hoped to be, but it's turned around and it's doing alright for now and it'll keep that going till I feel a 2017 release.  That gives the Wii U a comfortable 5 years of prominence.

I do agree it'll drop the Wii name, it has to (And don't you even dare of adding NEW onto it, Nintendo.  That's the worst thing you could possibly more than keeping the Wii name lol).

And the Zelda is guaranteed for Wii U.  The Wii U has not had it's Zelda game and they aren't going to pass it over simply because it would be a disservice to those who supported the Wii U.  I don't even think the Twilight Princess deal will happen, but perhaps an enhanced edition showing up within the first year or so on the NX, like Wind Waker HD.

I actually think the gamepad is pretty great, kinda the only good addition the current gen systems have had, even if it hasn't had full support, I liked being able to have a separate screen and such, but it would be smarter to go for a more traditional controller route, using that extra money to beef up the games hardware to make it more competitive, but still affordable in comparison to the other systems.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2015, 12:19:10 pm »
According to this report, the Nintendo NX will be both a console, and have a take-away mobile device (that you can take on the road, according to this, not just 50 feet from your console like the Wii U). Sounds interesting.

They also say that the Nintendo is using "industry leading chips" so they can compete with the PS4 and XBox One. So it should be able to support third-party releases.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/16/9550025/nintendo-nx-details-chips-mobile-component
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:00:49 pm by burningdoom »

gf78

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2015, 01:17:56 pm »
According to this report, the Nintendo NX will be both a console, and have a take-away mobile device (that you can take on the road, according to this, not just 50 feet from your console like the Wii U). Sounds interesting.

They also say that the Nintendo is using "industry leading chips" so they can compete with the PS4 and XBox One. So it should be able to support third-party releases.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/16/9550025/nintendo-nx-details-chips-mobile-component

I was reading similar articles on Ars and Polygon earlier.  But the story will be similar to what we have now.  Nintendo will be 3-4 years late to the "current gen."  Their only chance is if they use the same x86 architecture as the PS4 and Xbox One if they hope to get any 3rd party support. 

Right now, there are just too many unanswered questions that we won't know the answers to until E3 next year at the earliest.  Will Nintendo launch the NX as the successor to the Wii U and New 3DS four years after the former and 1-2 years after the latter  came to market?  That thought pisses me off and I'm sure it would piss off many others as well. 

So here's what I am thinking right now.  There are two possibilities with the "portable controller" for the NX.  Either it's a supped-up version of the gamepad for the Wii U, which places it firmly in the "gimmicky controller" department once again.  Or, it's the successor to the "New" 3DS and will effectively eliminate or at the very least cut back on the support for the current model, a scant 1-2 years after it was released. 

Either way, it doesn't sound promising to me.  Nintendo's greatest home console was the SNES.  They have done nothing but disappoint ever since.  Like a glutton for punishment, I continue to buy every Nintendo system and as much as I love the magic of Nintendo's games, they continue to baffle and confound me with their sheer stupidity.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:21:34 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2015, 05:10:22 pm »
I don't think the "New" 3DS replacement is a big deal, it's clear it was just a general upgrade along with being a way to promote the 3DS heavily again, and with the 3DS having been around for awhile, it's time to replace it with something better.  I feel like the crappy Xenoblade Chronicles port showed they've maxed out what even the newest version can handle.  Or that was just a real bad port, I'm not sure.

Even having only had the Wii U for like a year now, I'm fine with the upcoming replacement.  I know it's needed so Nintendo can compete properly and get better third party support and I'm hoping that we'll finally get the cohesive online setup Nintendo has been needing.  Curious about how the pricing will go.  I remember the rumors of it being something that is more like a set of modules to kinda get it at different levels as I'd likely not look at getting the handheld part, especially if it cuts down on the price.  Would certainly be better that way than tying it to the system like the gamepad was, especially since they need to keep the costs around the 3 to 400 dollar range.

spac316

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2015, 05:20:56 pm »
I think it could be step forward on what Nintendo should do in this modern day market. Having a system that can be both a home console and a handheld could be a great if done right.
I just hope it'll have the top of the line hardware specs to make it more enticing for developers and consumers.

Warmsignal

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2015, 10:53:13 pm »
I think it could be step forward on what Nintendo should do in this modern day market. Having a system that can be both a home console and a handheld could be a great if done right.
I just hope it'll have the top of the line hardware specs to make it more enticing for developers and consumers.

What the Vita should have been, imo.

I think the biggest problem is convincing the market that it's still worth lugging around a dedicated handheld. Which brings to mind the ill fated Nokia N-Gage. What if Nintendo could make this console/handheld hybrid also operate as a smart phone? I doubt it, but that's one avenue.

gf78

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2015, 10:10:59 am »
I don't think the "New" 3DS replacement is a big deal, it's clear it was just a general upgrade along with being a way to promote the 3DS heavily again, and with the 3DS having been around for awhile, it's time to replace it with something better.  I feel like the crappy Xenoblade Chronicles port showed they've maxed out what even the newest version can handle.  Or that was just a real bad port, I'm not sure.

Even having only had the Wii U for like a year now, I'm fine with the upcoming replacement.  I know it's needed so Nintendo can compete properly and get better third party support and I'm hoping that we'll finally get the cohesive online setup Nintendo has been needing.  Curious about how the pricing will go.  I remember the rumors of it being something that is more like a set of modules to kinda get it at different levels as I'd likely not look at getting the handheld part, especially if it cuts down on the price.  Would certainly be better that way than tying it to the system like the gamepad was, especially since they need to keep the costs around the 3 to 400 dollar range.

I think it is a big deal.  Nintendo has marketed the "New" 3DS as a "New" system.  It has better specs and at least one game so far that requires it.  Not to mention it has a second analog stick/nub and the NFC reader built-in.  So in essence, it is a new system that Nintendo just launched this year.  The system does have significantly upgraded specs and features and about the only complaint I can really levy against it is the lower-resolution screen which was a real blunder. 

Coming out with the New 3DS and now with the standard size just arriving with changeable faceplates...if Nintendo has planned all along to replace this system in a year to two years time, I think it's pretty $hitty of them.  Ideally, I believe the New 3DS is powerful enough that it could be used as the portable part of the system or at least hope so. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2015, 03:39:02 pm »

I think it is a big deal.  Nintendo has marketed the "New" 3DS as a "New" system.  It has better specs and at least one game so far that requires it.  Not to mention it has a second analog stick/nub and the NFC reader built-in.  So in essence, it is a new system that Nintendo just launched this year.  The system does have significantly upgraded specs and features and about the only complaint I can really levy against it is the lower-resolution screen which was a real blunder. 

Coming out with the New 3DS and now with the standard size just arriving with changeable faceplates...if Nintendo has planned all along to replace this system in a year to two years time, I think it's pretty $hitty of them.  Ideally, I believe the New 3DS is powerful enough that it could be used as the portable part of the system or at least hope so.

I don't think the New 3DS is remotely powerful enough to be the portable part.  It wasn't a huge upgrade.  To me, they've never promoted it as the "New" system in that it was the next big leap in Nintendo handhelds.  It's always seemed to be presented as just a way to refresh the 3DS brand along with maybe enticing people with exclusives, but they haven't really done anything with that other than the failed Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and to enhance a couple games.

gf78

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2015, 04:00:33 pm »
I don't think the New 3DS is remotely powerful enough to be the portable part.  It wasn't a huge upgrade.  To me, they've never promoted it as the "New" system in that it was the next big leap in Nintendo handhelds.  It's always seemed to be presented as just a way to refresh the 3DS brand along with maybe enticing people with exclusives, but they haven't really done anything with that other than the failed Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and to enhance a couple games.

It may not be powerful enough for the portable part of the NX, but if you compare the specs between the 3DS and "New" 3DS, it was a pretty significant upgrade.

Processor:  3DS - dual-core   /  New 3DS 268MHz quad-core
RAM:  3DS - 128MB  /  New 3DS - 256MB
VRAM:  3DS - 6MB  /  New 3DS - 10MB
Expandable storage:  3DS - SD cards  /  New 3DS - Micro SD cards

Then you have the added features:
Motion Tracking 3D
C-Stick
ZR + ZL buttons
Built-in NFC reader

When you look at it, it is a pretty significant upgrade and specs and features.  Just because Nintendo hasn't created any software specifically that utilizes the extra specs to a significant degree doesn't mean the hardware hasn't improved vastly.  At least, that's my opinion.   :P

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2015, 04:03:21 pm »
I have a 3DS XL. I use it all the time. Never once since the "New" 3DS came out, have I had the want to upgrade to it. As long as I can play the same games easily enough, I don't want to upgrade.

Now if Nintendo were to suddenly make a bunch of games exclusive to the "New" 3DS, then I might think about upgrading. But as of now, that's not the case. Nor have I heard of any coming out on the horizon.

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2015, 04:12:20 pm »

It may not be powerful enough for the portable part of the NX, but if you compare the specs between the 3DS and "New" 3DS, it was a pretty significant upgrade.

Processor:  3DS - dual-core   /  New 3DS 268MHz quad-core
RAM:  3DS - 128MB  /  New 3DS - 256MB
VRAM:  3DS - 6MB  /  New 3DS - 10MB
Expandable storage:  3DS - SD cards  /  New 3DS - Micro SD cards

Then you have the added features:
Motion Tracking 3D
C-Stick
ZR + ZL buttons
Built-in NFC reader

When you look at it, it is a pretty significant upgrade and specs and features.  Just because Nintendo hasn't created any software specifically that utilizes the extra specs to a significant degree doesn't mean the hardware hasn't improved vastly.  At least, that's my opinion.   :P

It is an upgrade, but not enough to viable as the newest handheld for the next however many years.  The lack of content specifically for it to me shows that it's nothing more than them refreshing the brand.  The only thing coming up that even utilizes the new hardware I believe is Hyrule Warriors Legends, and that's just so you can use the 3D, which funnily enough won't be a feature on the original "3D"s systems lol

gf78

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2015, 10:09:16 am »
It is an upgrade, but not enough to viable as the newest handheld for the next however many years.  The lack of content specifically for it to me shows that it's nothing more than them refreshing the brand.  The only thing coming up that even utilizes the new hardware I believe is Hyrule Warriors Legends, and that's just so you can use the 3D, which funnily enough won't be a feature on the original "3D"s systems lol

Fair enough.  But I believe there are nearly 5 million gamers who "refreshed" recently (and growing) who won't take too kindly to their "new" hardware being replaced in short order. 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2016, 01:56:39 pm »