Author Topic: The Nintendo "NX"  (Read 26131 times)

gf78

Re: The Nintendo "NX"
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2016, 01:57:58 pm »
I dont think there is going to be anywhere close to the titles on it that would make me buy it. I actually regret buying the Wii U. The only thing it does in my house now is work as an additional youtube channel screen for my little ones to watch Minecraft playing.

I think the absolute only thing that will change my mind is a new "real" Metroid game.

Sigh....I still wonder what happened.  The SNES was a cornucopia of fantastic titles and Nintendo branched out with new franchises in various genres.  They even published great Enix games like Illusion of Gaia.  Super Metroid was one of the most incredible games I have ever played.  I replayed that game over and over again because it was just so....perfect. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2016, 02:24:45 pm »
I dont think there is going to be anywhere close to the titles on it that would make me buy it. I actually regret buying the Wii U. The only thing it does in my house now is work as an additional youtube channel screen for my little ones to watch Minecraft playing.

I think the absolute only thing that will change my mind is a new "real" Metroid game.

Sigh....I still wonder what happened.  The SNES was a cornucopia of fantastic titles and Nintendo branched out with new franchises in various genres.  They even published great Enix games like Illusion of Gaia.  Super Metroid was one of the most incredible games I have ever played.  I replayed that game over and over again because it was just so....perfect.
Sony happened. Sony were just better.

Nintendo made a lot of bad decisions; N64 - carts. GameCube - Proprietary optical media. Wii U - Weak. Casual console.

However regardless; I still think Sony would still be king today; as they were just more of a forward thinking company.

gf78

« Reply #152 on: April 29, 2016, 02:31:31 pm »

Nintendo made a lot of bad decisions; N64 - carts. GameCube - Proprietary optical media. Wii U - Weak. Casual console.

However regardless; I still think Sony would still be king today; as they were just more of a forward thinking company.

I agree with you that Sony was and is just better.  The PlayStation took gaming from being something I had fun doing sometimes to being the most fun thing to do.  But even with Nintendo's bad decisions, it still doesn't explain why they abandoned Metroid for nearly a decade.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #153 on: April 29, 2016, 02:32:05 pm »
So i decided, f it, ill start saving up for it now, and once E3 happens and if it looks decent, ill buy it. but if it sucks, well i saved up money and can go buy something else, maybe something awesome that appeared at E3

I wonder if they will even show anything about the NX at E3 this year.
Nope. They already said they won't be mentioning it again until later in the year.

My guess is somewhere between September and November they'll do a massive direct to unveil it and some of the launch games, to build hype.

well, i guess by nov if that is when it is, ill have lot of saved up and it ends up being too gimmicky, i can spend all that money on other styff lol
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #154 on: April 29, 2016, 02:56:38 pm »

I agree with you that Sony was and is just better.  The PlayStation took gaming from being something I had fun doing sometimes to being the most fun thing to do.  But even with Nintendo's bad decisions, it still doesn't explain why they abandoned Metroid for nearly a decade.
Never been big on the Metroid series personally. Don't get me wrong, I can play and enjoy them. However I don't rate them as high as the vast majority of the gaming community seem to.

Obviously a lot of people do however. The topic was broached on the Kinda Funny Gamescast at one point. And I think as Colin said; Metroid is a AAA title critically but not commercially. So releasing a Metroid game on a console that doesn't have a big install base would be a waste of resources; yes the die hard Metroid fans might move 1 million copies, but it's just easier for Nintendo to move Mario titles instead which sell more.

If NX sells reasonably well in its first few months; I'm sure Nintendo will green light some Metroid concept that's been sitting on the shelf for development.

« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2016, 03:29:33 pm »
I don't feel bad for getting a Wii U, I've played more good games on that than I have on PS4 in terms of exclusives so far.  With a Zelda NX launch title, I'm likely to get the system at launch this time as that's a strong start, I just hope it has more to go alongside that too.  If it has like 2 or 3 really good games at launch or in the launch window, that's the kind of start it really needs.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #156 on: April 29, 2016, 03:31:00 pm »
I'll buy it.

I don't regret buying my WiiU at all. It actually gets more playtime than the PS4. Nintendo really gets me.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #157 on: April 29, 2016, 03:38:03 pm »
^ Me too. Unless it's all digital. Then I'll just stick with my Wii U and XBone.

« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2016, 05:09:58 pm »

The gaming industry has pretty much decided that gimmicks are no longer interesting so Nintendo has no reason to make their own hardware.

2 letters debunk this VR

Not to mention they lead the way on a lot  of industry standards
D-pad
Shoulder Buttons
Rumble
Hell even motion controls.

1. VR isn't a gimmick.

2. Why does what they did 30 years ago matter today?

rayne315

« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2016, 05:11:21 pm »
I do not regret buying my Wii U either. its a way for me and my gf to spend some quality time together. she doesn't like a bunch of games but has loved every game we have bought for it. the only thing I am upset about is that I just bought it holiday last year and its already obsolete.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2016, 07:03:48 pm »
1. VR isn't a gimmick.

VR is a massive gimmick.  It's the new motion controls, which were a gimmick.  Down the road, both could possibly become less gimmick and more substantial, but right now, with their extreme pricing and limitations, it's just a novelty.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2016, 07:15:31 pm »
1. VR isn't a gimmick.

VR is a massive gimmick.  It's the new motion controls, which were a gimmick.  Down the road, both could possibly become less gimmick and more substantial, but right now, with their extreme pricing and limitations, it's just a novelty.

Also basically 3D that instead of being on a TV/Movie Screen it gets strapped to the face that not everyone will be able to experience due to eye problems

« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2016, 07:26:06 pm »
Also basically 3D that instead of being on a TV/Movie Screen it gets strapped to the face that not everyone will be able to experience due to eye problems

Yeah I can't see using VR for longer than a half hour or hour at most.  With gimmicky games designed around that, it's fine, but almost none of the games I'm gonna play would have need to utilize VR, which makes it a gimmick.  The majority of major games have no need for it.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2016, 12:48:32 am »
Other than motion controls, what's another Nintendo gimmick?  The DS touchscreen I guess. Other than those two, nintendo's gimmicks have become standards.

"Oh, everyone has a joystick?  Check out this D-Pad"
"Have you seen this new rumble pak gimmick?" Now, rumble is standard.
"Why do we need L and R buttons?"  L1? R2?

Was the GameCube control out before the duel shock? 

My point is, Nintendo has changed a bunch of shit. They just underestimated how lazy we are as gamers.

As for VR?  Eff VR. It's a gimmick. Read the sentence above.

« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2016, 01:08:42 am »
Was the GameCube control out before the duel shock? 

My point is, Nintendo has changed a bunch of shit. They just underestimated how lazy we are as gamers.

Dual Shock 2 came out before the Gamecube Controller.

I wouldn't say it's about being lazy, it's more about comfort and ease of use.  Swinging around motion controls can be tiring, it also can be sketchy, requiring calibrations a lot.  I remember that being an annoying problem with Skyward Sword.  I heard it was the same with Star Fox Zero.  The movement I know was real annoying in ZombiU,  which initially seemed like an interesting addition, but got real tedious, real quick lol

I feel like the NX will have something touch related still, perhaps a smaller controller with a proper touch screen, essentially a DS in a regular controller, a smaller gamepad, but I remember there was a lot of talk of it's hardware being quite different, and also apparently it has easy development in terms of porting, which could be making its mark on gaming culture in a less obvious way than a controller.