Author Topic: Nintendo shortage?  (Read 1680 times)

Nintendo shortage?
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:22:17 am »
Living in a rural area, Walmart is the only store around that sells new games. The closest Gamestop (in America) is 170 miles away. -So I've come to depend on Walmart. In the past few months they're thoroughly pissed me off and here's why: They haven't restocked their Nintendo shelves since late November. Since the Christmas rush they haven't stocked anything. No Amiibos, no 3DS games. I was able to grab most of the first wave figures but that was it. I've talked to a manager about it and according to them they're just not able to get a hold of anything. Has anyone else had similar issues at local stores? My only guess is the west coast port issue that's been going on lately probably has something to do with it.

gf78

Re: Nintendo shortage?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:42:49 am »
Haven't seen that issue around my area.  There are probably 20 Walmart stores within 70 miles and I see Nintendo systems, Amiibo's, games, guides, etc. at all of them.  That is, when I happen to be at one.  There are only two close to me that I frequent.  I'm in Missouri.

If I had those kind of issues, I would just buy from Amazon or Gamestop.com.  I wouldn't bother.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

argyle

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:21:52 am »
My Wal-Mart's the same way, haven't seen any Amiibos besides the first wave. I did see them selling Majora's Mask a day before the release date, but their Nintendo section in general is pretty slim.

Then again, I don't remember the last game I bought from a brick & mortal Wal-Mart. You can get some good deals from them online from time to time, but the stores near me NEVER reduce price on anything and have a really crappy selection. I found some launch-era PS3 game in a $20 bin, which was overpriced, but since it wasn't specifically tagged I took it to the guy to scan. He tried scanning it a few times then said it wasn't even in the system anymore so he couldn't sell it.

So they'd rather let a game rot & then throw it away (I suppose) than to reduce prices on them. ::)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 11:23:37 am »
Living in a rural area, Walmart is the only store around that sells new games. The closest Gamestop (in America) is 170 miles away. -So I've come to depend on Walmart. In the past few months they're thoroughly pissed me off and here's why: They haven't restocked their Nintendo shelves since late November. Since the Christmas rush they haven't stocked anything. No Amiibos, no 3DS games. I was able to grab most of the first wave figures but that was it. I've talked to a manager about it and according to them they're just not able to get a hold of anything. Has anyone else had similar issues at local stores? My only guess is the west coast port issue that's been going on lately probably has something to do with it.

I was talking to a GameStop employee the other day, and He said some worker strikes or whatnot had created problems the first time around. No GameStop that I've went to has had a problem keeping Amiibos in stock, however, concerning the second wave.

Guess that doesn't help much, but it sounds like it's definitely Walmart-specific.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 11:27:07 am »
I'm sorry you have to go to Walmart really, the one by me is just so icky, I hate going there.  Even here they don't restock the toy department either, and the video game section is crap.  There is a Meijer across the street, and 6 video game stores (2 Gamestops) & 2 Targets within 10 miles, but I still end up buying used stuff online most of the time.  All the independent game stores but one are gougers.

gf78

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:10:07 pm »
Here's a hint for Walmart shoppers.  Walmart as a policy will not match their own online prices.  However, if they have a game in stock at the store and it's cheaper online, you can order it online with site-to-store for the lower price and many times pick it up the same day.  They just pull it from the store inventory and put it back in the layaway storage area.   ::)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

indenton

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:19:03 pm »
Over in the UK, my local Asda has had like 1 Wii U game on the shelves for quite a while now, several months.  That is literally the only Wii U related product I've found in-store their, since they weren't selling well they only stock them online.  Coincidentally Asda is owned by Walmart.  3DS stock seems to be okay, no Amiibo being sold in-store either. 

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 07:27:34 pm »
Best Buy in my area doesn't really seem to restock much.  They get the new stuff, but their Wii U and 3DS shelves are usually fairly empty or limited beyond the most popular of titles.  Never seen it at Gamestop or Walmart here, so I'm guessing it's just a store issue.

dlundh

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 12:15:51 am »
Swede here. We seem to have no shortage of new Wii U titles, but older games don't seem to be re-stocked.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 12:29:46 am »
Here's a hint for Walmart shoppers.  Walmart as a policy will not match their own online prices.  However, if they have a game in stock at the store and it's cheaper online, you can order it online with site-to-store for the lower price and many times pick it up the same day.  They just pull it from the store inventory and put it back in the layaway storage area.   ::)

I tried to do that with the Walmart close by. When I got to the checkout, it said it would be ready for pick-up in 5-7 days. Now when I see an advertised online price for Walmart, I'll just have another retailer match it.

gf78

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 10:57:30 am »

I tried to do that with the Walmart close by. When I got to the checkout, it said it would be ready for pick-up in 5-7 days. Now when I see an advertised online price for Walmart, I'll just have another retailer match it.

Weird.  I've had them send the email that my site-to-store order was ready for pickup just an hour or so later several times.  The last one being Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag for the PS4.

The only time I can use the price-match is when I'm in St. Louis which is 60 miles away.  There are no other game stores besides Walmart and Gamestop here.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 02:43:35 pm »
Walmart has been downgrading the Nintendo products it carries. They are nowhere near as popular as the ps3, ps4, xbox360, and xbone. The Walmart near my doesn't bother restocking nintendo stuff after the first shipment and their wii u shelf is half empty.