Author Topic: Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii?  (Read 3111 times)

Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii?
« on: April 10, 2015, 10:58:15 am »
Now that effective this year Last generation will fall in the ocean, which of the systems did you like the most? It was the longest generation of all time, and there were tons of the good and the bad.

This is a very good time to discuss this as the last generation will be done soon. Wii has been dead for a time, PS3 was announced by Sony last year to end in 2015, and Microsoft said 2016, however with the latter, the 360 is already severely down so that extra bit of time will be marginal at best.

Some big games for each system-

Xbox 360:
Halo
Gears of War
Forza
Alan Wake
Akai Katana
Kinect SPorts
Kinect Adventure
Banjo Nut and Bolts
Nintey Nine Nights
Lost Odyssey
Fable
Forza Horizon
Project Gotham 3-4
Steel Battalion
Splinter Cell Conviction
Mass Effect 1
Saints Row 1

Playstation 3:
Uncharted
Killzone
Final Fantasy X/-X-2 remake
Haze
LBP
Disgaea 3-4
Demon Souls
God of War 3
MGSIV
Gran Tourismo
Heavy Rain/Beyond

Wii:
Wii Sports/Resort
Wii Fit
Super Mario Galaxy
Twilight Princess
Let's Tap
Madworld
Red Steel
Conduit
NiGHTS 2
Carnival Games
Xenoblade
Super Smash Bros.
The Last Story
Kirby Retrun/Epic Yarn
Metroid Other M

indenton

Re: Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 03:37:56 pm »
I think 'Wario Land: Shake It' deserves a space in the Wii game listings, Good-Feel game, pre-epic Yarn too.  Maybe even 'Mario Kart Wii'

devancowan

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 03:59:31 pm »
At one point or another, I had all these systems. I got the ps3 a few months after it came out. I had the Wii for a long time but never used it and was pretty much just a dust collector. Given it does have some great titles, I could just never get into while using the controls. I had the 360 for maybe half a year and hardly played it.
The ps3 in my opinion is the best choice of all these. It has all the best RPG's and has MLB The Show which is probably the only sports game I throughly enjoy. The "free" online factor was also a huge factory as to why I got it in the first place as well. Back in Jr High when I got it, 500 dollars was a hell of a lot of money, then to pay an extra 60 a year was not something I was looking to do.  :)

With the current Gen out I decided to go out on a limb and get the Xbox One. So far there are no exclusives on either system (ps4 & Xbox) I want aside from Bloodborne (Which I'm hoping will eventually come to the One). I do really enjoy the social aspect of the One!

I was never a huge Halo fan which is why the 360 doesn't really appeal to me. Some of the exclusive title I loved on the Ps3 were
-The Last of Us
-Uncharted
-Ni No Kuni

maximo310

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 04:23:11 pm »
The Wii in my opinion barely beats out Playstation 3, but those two have some really good exclusives that are worth buying a system. The Wii surprised me with the amount of hidden gems that work well on the system, there's a lot of variety of games to be found in the Wii's library, and many of these games can be purchased for relatively cheap prices, and some of these games let you use different options to Wiimote/ or aren't a hinderance with Wiimote. I think part of this has to do with the fact that with the Wii being successful with motion controls and lower development costs allowed companies to create a ton of games for the system, even if there is a bunch of shovelware on the system. It has backwards compatability with Gamecube as well, and getting component output for it is much cheaper than a GC cable, and the Virtual Console offerings are pretty good for the most part. I got it day 1 because of Metal Slug Anthology and I haven't looked back since.
The only problems here are resolution is not good for many games, and you can't import anything since its completely region locked.

The PS3 is pretty close to Wii with variety of games, although I wasn't able to buy one until last year. Many of the exclusives are great indicators of what the system can do, and there are a good amount of games that are better on the PS3 than the X360. Many of the games on this system can be cheap as well, and pretty easy to find still. Being region-free for 99% makes getting imports easy, especially for physical releases in Japan that only got digital releases elsewhere. Online is free as well, native ps1 backwards compatability, as well as ps2 bc compatability( for the first three models), and it can play other media as well( like super audio cds in the first few models). I think the main problem with PS3 is that many of the multiplat titles from some publishers don't run as well as there X360 counterparts.

The X360 has some good exclusives as well. The first few years has a good amount of variety with some exclusives made by Japanese publishers, and in addition has a ton of shmup games, some of which are region free. I didn't get this until 2012, but the library is cool as well. There are a few games that surprised me, like blur, with how fun they were. The main problem I have is that the amount of exclusives stopped around 2009-2010 when Kinect came around, because after that I haven't really seen much on the exclusive side. However, I'd still reccomend the console, just for the exlcusives alone. It does have some bc compatability with original xbox games, but it's defenitely lacking in accuracy and amount of games compared to the other two consoles.

Honestly, I don't think that PS3 support is going to end by 2015, they may extend it another year or two because its still getting some sales and games, compared to the X360 which is just dead at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:46:21 pm by maximo310 »

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 05:34:24 pm »
PS3 >>>> Wii >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>360

Aside from a few exclusives, the 360 seemed fairly pointless to own imo. The Wii is littered with garbage games, but there are enough amazing games for it to make me like it way more than the 360. And then there is the PS3, my go to system for the 7th gen. So much awesomeness all around with  the PS3 :D

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 05:51:54 pm »
I liked some games on the PS3, but it was the low end of the generation for me.  Wii had some good games, but I didn't like the early days of it and hated the motion controls.  360 was basically my main system alongside PC for last gen.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 05:54:48 pm »
Aside from a few exclusives, the 360 seemed fairly pointless to own imo.

I completely agree. The good exclusives can be counted on a single hand. Also no serious games support Kinect.
Okay to be fair, only Wii Sports Resort, Red Steel 2 and Skyward Sword support clever motion control on the Wii U (Wii Motion +), so the Kinect part isn't that big of a deal in comparison.

But the Wii and PS3 have the most and best exclusives. Compare the exclusives and pick the console that has the games you want to play the most.
I got the Xbox 360 for Halo and Gears of War and to be honest: These games are weak flagship titles.
Halo 2 on the original Xbox was way better.

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 11:16:34 pm »

I completely agree. The good exclusives can be counted on a single hand. Also no serious games support Kinect.
Okay to be fair, only Wii Sports Resort, Red Steel 2 and Skyward Sword support clever motion control on the Wii U (Wii Motion +), so the Kinect part isn't that big of a deal in comparison.

But the Wii and PS3 have the most and best exclusives. Compare the exclusives and pick the console that has the games you want to play the most.
I got the Xbox 360 for Halo and Gears of War and to be honest: These games are weak flagship titles.

I mostly bought my 360 for the exclusive SHMUPs and a handful of RPGs. Other than that I'm not terribly interested in the console's library.

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 11:34:11 pm »

I mostly bought my 360 for the exclusive SHMUPs and a handful of RPGs. Other than that I'm not terribly interested in the console's library.
That's the main problem with the 360 I think. It does some multiplatform games pretty well, but I feel that( especially) for exclusives, the 360 has vastly less to off than its competitors, as well as the fact that there isn't much diversity when it comes from microsoft ips for quite a long time now.

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 11:54:33 pm »
I preferred the 360 for last gen. The achievements gave the games more replay value. I found myself playing many games over again on harder difficulties that I normally wouldn't have done, just to get those damn points  :P. Almost all my friends and family bought one of these too, so there was always somebody online to game with.

I only knew a few people that bought the PS3, so online gaming was out. I also didn't like how a partial install was required on many PS3 games. The Wii seamed like it was mainly for party games, which it did very well at when company was over.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 12:28:31 am »
PS3, it was my work horse system from last gen, than Wii, than 360.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 06:03:36 am »
As much as i loved the Wii and many of its exclusive titles, i picked the PS3 as my favourite system for this last generation. My reasoning is that the PS3 had far more Jrps/Rpgs (Which are my fave genres), and even with amazing games like Xenoblade Chronicles and The last Story on the Wii, it was lacking them greatly. I really wish they had brought more titles from Japan to the west when it comes to the Wii. :/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 10:44:04 am by matimo »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 11:29:58 am »
I got both my xbox and xbox 360 for free, I did plan on buying them, but just getting the exclusive games only. But when my friends gave me their old stuff, it came with a lot of games that are mutli systems . and I was like eh, might as well keep them. I plan on getting the remainder of the exclusives i need/want and thats it.

As for new gens, I already have a ps4, my next buy, besides 3DS, will be the Wii U easily. And I prob wont buy a Xbone till the  next xbox gets announced. I still remember watching the Xbox one original announcement and how  much of a bad taste it left and the outrage it caused. I might buy Xbox one exclusive game I want over time, so when I finally do go buy it, I already have the games I want.

VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 03:11:55 pm »
Meh, there's not enough difference to PS3 and XBox 360 to really argue for either one, IMO. It's basically a choice between God of War & Uncharted vs. Halo & Gears of War. Unless you're looking to save money on a Blu-Ray Player, then that's a good reason to prefer a PS3.

I like Halo. So I got an XBox 360. It was really that simple. And I heard that PS3 owners had a helluva time getting Skyrim expansions. Glad I didn't have to deal with that since that was the 2nd best game of the entire generation, for me (after Oblivion).

I own a Wii as a well. And I'm glad I do. I love Nintendo exclusives. But if it came down to only owning one system, I'd have picked my XBox 360 first.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 03:49:12 pm »
Definitely a PS3/PC fan...  Bethesda and other games available on Xbox 360 were more enjoyable on the PC, anyway.  Which only leaves Forza games left on that system, and then there's StarCraft series/certain Steam games available only on PC.  Although, Origin is horrible.

Back on PS3...  I definitely enjoyed the Infamous, Uncharted, & LittleBigPlanet series, and Valkyria Chronicles.  There are also more titles that I have yet to play also, exclusive or otherwise.

Please check out the games I have for sale.