Author Topic: What is the best way to play Xenoblade Chronicles?  (Read 3504 times)

What is the best way to play Xenoblade Chronicles?
« on: April 13, 2015, 02:05:44 pm »
So now that we have 2 versions of Xenoblade Chronicles, Wii and new 3DS, which would be the better system to play it on if one had access to both. Besides the screen size, do you loose anything by playing it on the new 3DS?

Re: What is the best way to play Xenoblade Chronicles?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 03:11:08 pm »
So now that we have 2 versions of Xenoblade Chronicles, Wii and new 3DS, which would be the better system to play it on if one had access to both. Besides the screen size, do you loose anything by playing it on the new 3DS?

Just quality as far as I can tell.  It is not a pretty game on the 3DS.  To me, the Wii version has the better visuals, but uses the wiimote and nunchuck I believe (Something I don't like), whereas the 3DS has portability to it and standard controls, but has no touch screen controls and suffers visually (Though it generally runs smooth that I've seen).

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 03:20:48 pm »
The Wii version supports the classic controller as well as the wii mote+ nunchuck. It has better visuals than the N3DS version, and I think a bigger TV screen is a better fit  for this game than the small N3DS screen, but that's just my opinion.

argyle

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 03:31:53 pm »
The Wii version supports the classic controller as well as the wii mote+ nunchuck. It has better visuals than the N3DS version, and I think a bigger TV screen is a better fit  for this game than the small N3DS screen, but that's just my opinion.

Yep, in fact there was a EU bundled version that came with a classic controller. I haven't played the 3DS version, but after hearing about the downgrades & having put over 100 hours into the Wii version, I'd definitely go with that one.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 03:32:58 pm »

I didn't know it had support for classic controller.  I'd reconsider my 3DS purchase if the Wii version wasn't hard to find and also incredibly expensive lol

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 03:41:09 pm »

I didn't know it had support for classic controller.  I'd reconsider my 3DS purchase if the Wii version wasn't hard to find and also incredibly expensive lol
Yeah, it seems that after the last Christmas season, every Gamestop has no more copies in their stores. In my area, only one copy has popped up in the last 4 months within 100 miles of me, and that one got sold in a day or so.  I'm glad I got my copy beforehand, because it seems there is no way to get now unless you get it from online. Hopefully, they do another reprint, but it seems unlikely at this point.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 03:43:49 pm »

Yeah, it seems that after the last Christmas season, every Gamestop has no more copies in their stores. In my area, only one copy has popped up in the last 4 months within 100 miles of me, and that one got sold in a day or so.  I'm glad I got my copy beforehand, because it seems there is no way to get now unless you get it from online. Hopefully, they do another reprint, but it seems unlikely at this point.

Even then, it's still rather pricey.  Used it's 54 bucks for a 3 year old game.  On ebay, it averages 65 to 75 bucks and sometimes higher.

theyellowcub

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 03:52:23 pm »
Found a Wii version for 30$ on the same day I bought the 3DS one! (yay, luck!). But I like to be able to play it anywhere, so portability is a big plus for me. Which one you decided to play after all?

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 03:57:45 pm »
Found a Wii version for 30$ on the same day I bought the 3DS one! (yay, luck!). But I like to be able to play it anywhere, so portability is a big plus for me. Which one you decided to play after all?

So lucky lol

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 04:46:12 pm »

I think i might just stick with the Wii version. might be a little more comfortable to play with the classic controller

razorbeamz

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 04:57:01 pm »
The best way to play it is probably to play the Wii version in Dolphin in 1080p with higher res textures. But that's not really a "purist" way to play.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 05:19:34 pm »
The best way to play it is probably to play the Wii version in Dolphin in 1080p with higher res textures. But that's not really a "purist" way to play.

This is probably what I should do.  I'm no purist, so this would probably be the best way.

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 06:25:14 pm »
I have not played the 3DS version, but I have not heard of anything superior in that version, other than portability, from the Wii one.  Wii would still be my recommendation.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

maximo310

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 11:11:33 pm »

Even then, it's still rather pricey.  Used it's 54 bucks for a 3 year old game.  On ebay, it averages 65 to 75 bucks and sometimes higher.
Yeah, it's going to only increase in price, so it's probably good to get it as soon as you can if you're interested. There's a ton of demand behind it, and I hope at some point they release it digitally so that people can experience it for themselves before having to pay those high prices.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 02:05:47 am »
^ I don't know. I think it's spiked in price somewhat due to the renewed interest from Xenoblade 3D. I bet after the hype of that game goes down, the price will cool off a little bit on the Wii version.