Author Topic: Star Wars Battlefront (2015 Reboot)  (Read 2767 times)

abe

Star Wars Battlefront (2015 Reboot)
« on: April 16, 2015, 03:44:56 pm »
Now that a recent leak has revealed that the game is to be released on November 17th for the PS4, Xbone, and PC it won't be too long before we finally get more Star Wars: Battlefront.

What do you all think about it? Will it live up to its predecessors? Will it be plagued by poorly handled DLC like far too many modern games are? Or will EA handle DLC properly and support the game well into the future with plenty of new content for players?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 08:11:53 pm by abe »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Star Wars Battlefront (2015 Reboot)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 03:55:13 pm »
I'm happy. I'm not even a big Star Wars fan, and had a great time with those games. Looking forward to a new one.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 05:03:03 pm »
Now that a recent leak has revealed that the game is to be released on November 17th for the PS4, Xbone, and PC it won't be too long before we finally get more Star Wars: Battlefront.

What do you all think about it? Will it live up to its predecessors? Will it be plagued by DLC like far too many modern games are?

"Plagued" is wrong to say.  DLC isn't a bad thing.  It's a fantastic thing actually, it just depends on what form it takes.  Is it just regular content updates over the next year like the basic Battlefield DLC? That's good.  Is it the obnoxious battlepacks? Not great, but it's not a big deal really and completely optional.

I'm hoping for good things with this.  Still nothing to go on yet on its quality, but we'll know everything tomorrow.

argyle

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 05:19:57 pm »
I never played the original game(s) - but this series is multiplayer-focused like CoD & Battlefield, right?
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 05:22:00 pm »
I'm just hoping its not online only.  I like to play offline. 
And please leave the damn Jedi out of it.  They were too strong.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 05:32:11 pm »
I never played the original game(s) - but this series is multiplayer-focused like CoD & Battlefield, right?

There was a singleplayer experience, which was mostly just the multiplayer, but with story aspects and bots.  The multiplayer is essentially like your Battlefield games with infantry and vehicle fighting it out across large maps. 

We don't know what is changing though with the new game.  They could have a proper singleplayer campaign, though I don't expect it to be like a Battlefield or COD in that regard cause it looks like it'll just be famous locations from the movies and some unique ones to battle it out on.  Also being made by DICE, there could be varied multiplayer game modes beyond just the usual point capture.

abe

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 05:43:42 pm »
"Plagued" is wrong to say.

It's my opinion, so it's not wrong to say. ;) You're entitled to your opinion, just as I am. Believe it or not, just because you might have a different opinion than mine doesn't make mine wrong. :o Did I say all DLC is bad? No, I didn't. Some game publishers/developers certainly do handle it the wrong way and go overboard with milking players for every last penny and I would say that those games have issues with DLC.

I'm not really sure if I'd call it multiplayer-focused, but I've never played the originals online so I don't have much to say on that. Battlefront II had solid single player gameplay and excellent split-screen co-op though which made it fun to have friends over to play with. I hope this new one has similar gameplay options. Star Wars Battlefront II isn't terribly expensive on the PS2, so I'd definitely have to recommend picking that up first if you want to get a good feel for the series before trying the new one.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 08:02:10 pm »
It's my opinion, so it's not wrong to say. ;) You're entitled to your opinion, just as I am. Believe it or not, just because you might have a different opinion than mine doesn't make mine wrong. :o Did I say all DLC is bad? No, I didn't. Some game publishers/developers certainly do handle it the wrong way and go overboard with milking players for every last penny and I would say that those games have issues with DLC.

Then you should've been more specific about it, rather than making it sound like a generalized issue with DLC lol It's easy enough to look at what DICE does with their games in terms of DLC and it's usually fine.  Battlefield 3 and 4 had the content updates that introduced new maps, game modes, weapons, and vehicles, and I think that's good.  Only "meh" stuff they've done is letting people buy battlepacks and shortcut packs, but those are fairly benign bits of micro-transaction.  I assume Battlefront will be similar, though I don't expect things like battlepacks to be there, especially since I heard that it might also not have battlelog, which is their big platform for interconnecting their games.

abe

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 08:10:03 pm »
Then you should've been more specific about it, rather than making it sound like a generalized issue with DLC

Alright then, I'll edit the OP just for you. ;)

argyle

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 12:29:25 pm »
DICE general manager Patrick Bach told Eurogamer Star Wars: Battlefront does not feature a campaign. Rather, it features "crafted missions" that are played solo, with a friend via split-screen offline or cooperatively online.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-17-star-wars-battlefront-has-40-player-cap

What little interest I had, squashed.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 01:06:56 pm »
DICE general manager Patrick Bach told Eurogamer Star Wars: Battlefront does not feature a campaign. Rather, it features "crafted missions" that are played solo, with a friend via split-screen offline or cooperatively online.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-04-17-star-wars-battlefront-has-40-player-cap

What little interest I had, squashed.

I'm still in.  I don't have to have a full on story or campaign.  I'm just fine with a series of missions.  It'll be fun.  I may even buy PlayStation+ for this.

docsarcastic

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 01:55:24 pm »
I hope it's good, mind you, if it isn't then we can all just play Star Wars Battlefront 2, so there isn't a problem I suppose.
I write books, collect games and achievements and so on. Considered pure, molten evil by many.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
- Everything

VGCollect stuff: https://vgcollect.com/about/DocSarcastic

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 01:59:55 pm »
I'm glad they aren't forcing a campaign, but sounds like a basic skirmish mode or something.  And 40 is a little low for the player cap, but I'm alright with that as it seems like too often Battlefield has 64 players, but not really maps designed around having 64, so usually ends up feeling better with 32 or 40.  Super stoked about the game and surprised that it will have both first person and third person options.  I fully expected it to be third person only.

Wish the reveal was actual gameplay, because it's clearly not, but it'll look pretty damn good for sure.  Hopefully it runs well after the Battlefield 4 debacle.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 09:53:36 pm »
better be 64 on PC thats all i'm saying. I'm also sad it's EA because I'll be forced to use god damn Origin.

pacpix

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 09:59:57 pm »
Super excited for this game.  Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 are two of my all time favorite games.  I don't mind the focus not being on the campaign as there really was no campaign in the originals either.  I do hope there is an offline mode against computer controlled players (instant action mode in 1 and 2).  My main worry is my PC will not be able to run this game as I do not own an Xbox One or a PS4.

I'm just hoping its not online only.  I like to play offline. 
And please leave the damn Jedi out of it.  They were too strong.
I would still like them to be in the game, although have game modes without them.  I enjoyed playing on Jedi only servers online that were fun, but in the regular battles they feel way overpowered.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)