Author Topic: "PS3 Cache Failed to Mount"  (Read 4810 times)

"PS3 Cache Failed to Mount"
« on: April 17, 2015, 12:17:50 pm »
Hey all, quick tech question.

I was playing Spec Ops, when I suddenly encountered some stuttering, then I get a message that says "PS3 cache failed to mount." This also happened with Uncharted 2, I think.

Any suggestions for what I should do to fix this? I tried restarting the chapter with a fresh save, but still get the same issue after a while. I've tried doing an internet search, but there's not much out there for an answer.

I already tried deleting the game data and install (minus saves) and re-installed both, but am still having issues.

Any help would be appreciated!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: "PS3 Cache Failed to Mount"
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 12:31:10 pm »
That sounds like a personal problem. j/k

argyle

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 12:40:39 pm »
The first thing that came to mind was deleting the game data & reinstalling, but since you've already done that...I'd say it's most likely one of two things:

1) There's something corrupted on the drive, probably a system file since it's affecting multiple games. This would require you to back everything up and format & reload everything on the drive.

2) The hard drive itself is going bad. You'd still need to backup everything, but get a new drive & load everything back on it.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 02:18:13 pm »
The first thing that came to mind was deleting the game data & reinstalling, but since you've already done that...I'd say it's most likely one of two things:

1) There's something corrupted on the drive, probably a system file since it's affecting multiple games. This would require you to back everything up and format & reload everything on the drive.

2) The hard drive itself is going bad. You'd still need to backup everything, but get a new drive & load everything back on it.

I guess I should note that these occurrences happened a few months apart (plenty of other games work fine).

I'll try backing stuff up and formatting. I think the hard drive should be fine, it's a super-slim so it's still relatively new.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 11:54:06 pm »
Well, unfortunate news. I completely reformatted everything (took a good 14 hours at least), and loaded my game up. Initially got past the part with the problem, but soon after the cache failed to mount, again.

Not really sure what to do at this point. I'm still not completely convinced that it's an internal problem, and I'm wondering if it has to do with the game itself or it's update... but, I don't think there's really a solution. :/

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 03:28:19 am »
It's probably a failing drive, try replacing it. :l

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 02:36:50 am »
Have you tried inspecting for dust and using compressed air to blast it out?

If the hard drive or memory is overheating that could cause intermittent data corruption.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 03:20:39 am »
Have you tried inspecting for dust and using compressed air to blast it out?

If the hard drive or memory is overheating that could cause intermittent data corruption.

I'll see if I can do so, if I return home this weekend.

Google isn't turning up much information at all, only perhaps 3 or 4 threads where it has been mentioned. For both Uncharted 2 and Spec Ops, it's been the case that I've found at least one other person who has had the same issue. I'm not saying it isn't a hardware or overheating issue; if it had to do with an update, then more people would probably be experiencing it. But I guess I would think that I would see this occurring with my other games somewhat randomly as well? Bleh.  :-\

In any case, I may be traveling over-seas soon, and if that's the case I won't be taking my ps3 anyway, so it wouldn't be worth replacing the cache or whatnot as of right now. I'll try cleaning it when I can (still need to clean my original Xbox lol).

gf78

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 09:14:45 am »
I've had similar issues before.  It's all pretty random and seems to be two or more programs/games trying to use the same data.  I don't know how it happens.  If you formatted and reinstalled everything from before, try deleting any non-essential game data, saves, etc.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 11:23:17 am »
I've had similar issues before.  It's all pretty random and seems to be two or more programs/games trying to use the same data.  I don't know how it happens.  If you formatted and reinstalled everything from before, try deleting any non-essential game data, saves, etc.

Including data from games not having that issue?

I think I already deleted all my game data (minus saves), but I will have to check again and let you know.

But, in any case, it's interesting to know that may be what is happening. I'll try to look into it today.

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 07:06:39 pm »
I know this is a very old thread, but I have been reading about this error message recently. Did you ever find a fix for it?

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2023, 06:40:07 pm »
Hi johnz!

Goodness, I had to take a minute it's been so far back lol... ::)

Unfortunately, I don't think I ever did figure this one out. I'm pretty sure that after those first few wipes/resets I never tried again, and didn't attempt a hard drive replacement or further troubleshooting. So, at this point, I could only speculate. :-\