Author Topic: Advanced collection storage solutions...?  (Read 943 times)

rachel

Advanced collection storage solutions...?
« on: May 12, 2015, 01:54:37 am »
After many years of trying to keep up with displaying an ever-expanding game collection, I've decided to move my lesser-played items into storage boxes. I'm looking forward to having less cluttered shelves, actually! But I want a super-killer way of organizing the games that do end up in boxes.

In the past, when I've packed up my collection for moving, my main concern has been just putting as much in the boxes as possible without damaging the games. Standard jewel case games are easy enough to pack into a box, but then you have various sizes of Famicom game boxes, loose GB/GBC/GBA/VB/DS carts in a jumble, easily-crushed PC game retail boxes, etc. Those are harder to pack in safely. And they aren't necessarily organized if, say, you need to find and pull out a specific title. (I tried organizing boxes by platform once, but I always ended up with half-filled boxes.)

I'm wondering if anyone's done anything sophisticated to keep the order within storage boxes. I've been thinking about inventory sheets, boxes within boxes, etc. It sounds a little overboard, but it also sounds a little awesome. I dunno! What have you tried that you like?

yancakes

Re: Advanced collection storage solutions...?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 03:29:02 am »
I have a smaller collection (a bit under 300 physical games) but I just have my "main" collections on shelf, and when I say main I do just mean the consoles I play the most (ps1, ps2, oxbox and dc) and boxes on the shelves labled with what's in them. Nice boxes, only cost a few bucks a piece but are high quality cardboard coated with some variety of felt, metal handles on each side... low key decorative stuff. One box for N64 and SNES, one for Genesis/32x/SCD, and one for NES/GB/NGPC. Plus a basket for my Vectrex stuff, almost all of which is CIB and I can't buy another game or it won't fit haha.

I don't imagine it would work for bigger collections, but pretty much everything, save a few whacko peripherals and whatnot that I have in my closet, fits on one shelf and is easy and accessible.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 01:14:03 pm »
a cup

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 03:33:39 pm »
I like these.

http://www.amazon.com/Bankers-Box-Storage-Lift-Off-Letter/dp/B000FLZE7I

Sturdy, cardboard, relatively cheap, and this can hold lots of CDs or DVDs.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 04:36:57 pm »
I thought this was a pretty cool thread:

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,5865.0.html

There's a video that someone posted of how they store boxes within boxes, so it's not all that crazy of an idea ;)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas