Author Topic: Game Playing Club? (Like a book reading club)  (Read 4303 times)

kashell

Re: Game Playing Club? (Like a book reading club)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 09:11:53 am »
I belonged to a book club a few years ago before I moved from Ohio. It was called "Reading Between the Wines." It was fun. Each month one person would pick a book for us to read. At the end of the month, we'd get together and talk about it whilst indulging in alcohol.

I like this idea, but I can see some problems with it. Book clubs are easy to coordinate since books tend to be easier to finish. No "getting stuck" at certain parts. People talk about them after they've completed them. Also, they are easier to finish than games. Books are easy to find since nearly every book out there is in e-reader format nowadays. They didn't really interfere with our daily routines and agendas. They weren't pricey.

With video games, everyone here has a really diverse collection and even more diverse tastes. I guess what I'm getting at is that I think this is a neat idea, but it might be really hard to pull off. We tried it once or twice on an RPG board on GameFAQs, and it was met with some success. Eventually, others dropped out because they wanted to play something else.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 09:43:16 am »
I belonged to a book club a few years ago before I moved from Ohio. It was called "Reading Between the Wines." It was fun. Each month one person would pick a book for us to read. At the end of the month, we'd get together and talk about it whilst indulging in alcohol.

I like this idea, but I can see some problems with it. Book clubs are easy to coordinate since books tend to be easier to finish. No "getting stuck" at certain parts. People talk about them after they've completed them. Also, they are easier to finish than games. Books are easy to find since nearly every book out there is in e-reader format nowadays. They didn't really interfere with our daily routines and agendas. They weren't pricey.

With video games, everyone here has a really diverse collection and even more diverse tastes. I guess what I'm getting at is that I think this is a neat idea, but it might be really hard to pull off. We tried it once or twice on an RPG board on GameFAQs, and it was met with some success. Eventually, others dropped out because they wanted to play something else.

I'm willing to help coordinate monthly and help whoever is the leader of each playthough if I dont have the game. Idk just seemed like fun.

yancakes

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 12:01:28 pm »

This is why I suggested short, emulatable games.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 12:15:50 pm »
Well would anyone be down? If you're down send me your complete list of games using the collection export so I can see our overlap.

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 12:54:46 pm »
did we not try this before?
earthworm jim was the first one.

yancakes

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 01:10:25 pm »
I'm gonna point out to everyone being a downer about this and having done it before that his is not a dead community and we get new members sometimes, for instance: me. I wasn't here for the last one, and even if I'm the only new member who's interested in this, why is your compulsion to to be negative about it? Contribute, maybe have fun playing video games with other people- even if only for a month or two- or move along. Geez.

What a bunch of Negative Nancys. Debbie Downers. Contrary Cathys.

Well would anyone be down? If you're down send me your complete list of games using the collection export so I can see our overlap.
Sent :)

foxhack

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 01:44:27 pm »
Obviously everyone won't be able to play every month due to not having games. Also fox you're being very pessimistic. Why not try? I want to play along some games with people. I'll put up an interest poll, if you all could send me exports of your collections I could find games everyone interested has in common (maybe we have 2 playthroyghs a month? To try to get everyone)

I'm just being dumb, as usual. Don't mind me. This is a great thing for folks to get involved in. I only mentioned SMB1 because it's one of the most common games available and almost everyone with a NES -has- that game in one way or another.

woahsweetgreyphix

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 01:55:02 pm »

This sounds like fun to me; I'll send mine as well! I don't have the biggest collection but I don't mind if you guys play a game I don't have (Maybe it will give me an excuse to buy something :D )

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 02:22:05 pm »
I may do this, but as I'm currently playing Persona 4, I don't know if I will have time to do the other game.

desocietas

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 02:26:59 am »

Yep, and as pacpix mentioned, that was about 2 years ago.  A lot of new members have come by since then, so I think it's cool that folks want to do this :)  I'm too all over the place with my games, but if whatever game decided on speaks to me, I'll join up possibly!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Veilor

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 11:45:39 am »
This sounds fun, but I'm currently going through my Xbox 360 backlog and wouldn't have time for anything else.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 02:46:40 pm »
Ok. What does everyone think about the PS2 as a starter console? Send me your PS2 lists so I can find our overlaps?

rayne315

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 03:20:32 pm »
I'm game with partisipating in this. I will have to send my list after work but I am perfectly ok with purchasing a game (given enough notice) to play along.

What does everyone think about the PS2 as a starter console? Send me your PS2 lists so I can find our overlaps?

I dont think that calling out a specific console is helpful though as many games are cross platform and people just sending their PS2 list might cause a bit of problems.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:25:18 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 05:59:30 pm »

Yep, and as pacpix mentioned, that was about 2 years ago.  A lot of new members have come by since then, so I think it's cool that folks want to do this :)  I'm too all over the place with my games, but if whatever game decided on speaks to me, I'll join up possibly!

like wise and if its a score based game people should post their top scores.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 11:04:21 am »
Maybe have multiple levels? One RPG for those who want to be invested a few months. A score based monthly one. And a platformer for fun?