Author Topic: Can't make Sega Mega Drive work properly on flat screen TV  (Read 1924 times)

Can't make Sega Mega Drive work properly on flat screen TV
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:59:15 am »
It doesn't work with antenna cable because the TV can't find the console. I have bought two different RGB-cables and it works for a little while, but everything in the game is yellowish/greenish and the sound is bad. Eventually the screen and sound totally fucks up and I can't play at all.

I have bought a lot of games for this damn thing och and I really want it to work, but I'll soon give up and sell everything.

I have never had any problems with Nintendo's consoles. My NES, SNES and N64 works perfectly on my flat screen TV.

Anyone here who can help me?

Re: Can't make Sega Mega Drive work properly on flat screen TV
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:30:40 am »
Does the console work on other televisions?

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 09:36:04 am »
I've tried it on another flat screen TV and the same thing happened. I'd like to try it on a fat TV, but I don't have one.

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 11:36:57 am »
It doesn't work with antenna cable because the TV can't find the console. I have bought two different RGB-cables and it works for a little while, but everything in the game is yellowish/greenish and the sound is bad. Eventually the screen and sound totally fucks up and I can't play at all.

I have bought a lot of games for this damn thing och and I really want it to work, but I'll soon give up and sell everything.

I have never had any problems with Nintendo's consoles. My NES, SNES and N64 works perfectly on my flat screen TV.

Anyone here who can help me?

What console model is it?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:52:59 am by dreama1 »

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 05:35:23 am »
It's the first version.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 09:14:47 am »
Can you specify more ?
  • What region are you from? Are you in the US or in NTSC area?
  • The console you own, you say it's a model 1 Mega Drive, is it a PAL console or a JP console? Or maybe you mean it's a Genesis console, US model? If you're not sure post pics.
  • What method do you use to connect it to the TV? You tried RF and it's not detected by the TV if I understand correctly? You say you bough two RGB cables, you mean SCART? Where do they come from, can you show me a link or something about these cables?
I know some flat TV models got trouble rendering some analog signals trough SCART but if the problems remains on two different TVs that's probably not a TV problem. Should try a CRT though.

The SCART cables are not structured the same way for japanese and other models so it may be a compatibility issue. I have little knowledge of how TVs work in the US though, I only have experience on EU CRTs.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 02:37:48 pm »
My guess is ntsc with scart into component without a converter, which shouldn't work. Doesn't explain the audio issues though...

If its a japanese console you should just use a standard composite cable to attach to the tv.

foxhack

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 12:02:19 am »
The Genesis tends to output a really weird, non-standard video signal which some devices can't handle. Here's my example, my capture card refused to get this signal until I passed it through a VCR.

I wish I could help you out. :(

Edit: Oh the guy is European, so he's talking about a PAL MD system.

ffxik

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 11:13:06 pm »
Unfortunately the Mega Drive/Genesis is a right pain in the ass when it comes to certain tech.  Your best be is to find a friend with an old school CRT TV and test it there.  If you don't surely you have shops where you can buy used bits and bobs, right?  There isn't much we can do from here, except say don't give up.  It could be just the brand/model of the TV(s) isn't compatible.

On a side note when you were trying it through RF you went through the channels to try and find it right?  I'm just asking for the sake of asking.