Author Topic: windows 10  (Read 3098 times)

windows 10
« on: June 04, 2015, 08:19:13 pm »
not sure if this should be here or somewhere else.

anyone upgraded to windows 10 yet?
what are your thoughts?

im not sure if i should do it yet. my sli had support issues when i went from 8 to 8.1.

Re: windows 10
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:39:53 pm »
Until Windows 10 has proven itself thoroughly, I'm happy with Windows 7 still. Hell, I didn't even switch from XP until 2011 or so.

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 09:00:09 pm »
Why would anyone upgrade to Windows 10 on their main PC if it's not stable yet? It doesn't get a general release until a while from now. Risking your PC by installing an operating system that's still in a very beta state is just asking for trouble.

I'm waiting to see if they'll clarify their whole "lifetime of the device" BS or not. I would rather buy an upgrade version than be given a free OEM version I can't install on a new machine if necessary.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 09:12:03 pm »
the only reason i ask is because there is now an upgrade icon in my task bar.

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 09:46:12 pm »
I'll take my time, especially after dealing with a bunch of problems from Vista as well as the early builds of Windows 8. There are some features they removed from Windows 10, so I'm going to look for some other programs that could make up the void before I get Windows 10.

davifus

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 12:55:22 am »
Dont succumb to pressure. Dont let that stupid Microsoft icon on the taskbar discourage you. Believe in Windoge 7

#BelievetheDoge
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 05:30:33 am »
It only asks you to reserve windows 10 for you. And you can download it, but you can wait with installing it  ;)

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 11:15:11 am »
Having to develop for it, I can say I do not like how it currently is.

For those who get the upgrade now, it is for the Insider Preview. This has an end date where it will no longer function. MS has not clarified how this will change. They say the Free Upgrade is for GA date July 27. If the IP is the same as previous years, you'll need to buy a license before it expires and wouldn't count as the free upgrade.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 06:57:38 am »
Just wondering if anyone has installed windows 10 yet? If so, where there problems or did it went smooth?

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 10:17:19 am »
My friend did and by day two had issues and went back to windows 7. I personally wont do it.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

maximo310

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 02:57:05 pm »
I've heard of some privacy issues and lack of selectable options for stuff like chosing when to update. Personally, I've been creating boot disks for Windows 7,8 and 10, but I keep getting errors for the Windows 10 ISO file when i try to download that specific file. I'm still going to wait a while for them to fix these issues before I upgrade.

gamingpenguin

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 04:41:02 pm »
I updated to Windows 10 when it came out of testing, I haven't had any trouble at all with it so far, I know of a friend that is in the same boat. Not to say there isn't problems, but I haven't had any :) the privacy thing, I do believe is because they have all the settings for sending information on as a default but I do believe you can turn it off. Also what I read, it does the updates automatically so you don't get a choice. But no problems for me, and to be fair it doesn't feel much different to Windows 7. :)

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 05:02:31 pm »
The free upgrade lasts awhile, so I'm gonna just wait till I have to upgrade, like I need Windows 10 to play Killer Instinct in March, so I'll probably do it then lol

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 06:29:46 pm »
#BelievetheDoge

Much improve. So amaze. wow.

Sooo I tried the upgrade and it's OK so far.

I like the fact that after doing the upgrade they basically gave me a new product key so with the ISO I can make a fresh install on renewed hardware without problems. I didn't have any trouble  downloading and burning the ISO by the way..

The PIN code unlock is nice, it boots very fast and I noticed that the system is overall faster than my Win 7 similar installation. The dumb choices they made in Modern UI are reverted, you have a material design with traditional ergonomics, in short it works like Win 7 and that's good..

Here's the desktop (click to see 1:1 image size):

In the Start menu you can dock things on the right in a resizable area ala Modern UI and keep a standard list on the left. You can customize it so you have only a list or only MUI tiles, or both like here. It works fine like this for me.

The new addition that I find very cool is the "exposed" view like you have on OSX and the Virtual Desktops - I used them a lot when I was working on Linux:

You can have multiple "desktops" to organize your apps and stay organized, it's about time they implement this feature. The dock window feature have been upgraded as well and fastens the process to dock windows side by side.

I tried the Cortana thing and it's basically the very same thing than Google Now on Android devices, it's an all in one search engine and voice command prompt for the system. If you use the Microsoft application ecosystem I suppose it can be handy, though if you don't it can still find stuff on the computer and send requests through your browser through Google instead of Bing with a little trick.. ;D

Concerning the Privacy subject there are plenty of places in the UI when there is mention of data collecting and how to disable it, at least they try to give you control over your data. You can choose not to use a Microsoft account tied to your system, it won't matter much if you don't use the Microsoft store and Windows Phone/Xbox applications ecosystem.

There's also a specific section about all the privacy settings in the control panel :

For now I didn't have compatibility problems, I'll try a strong hardware-demanding game to see how it runs with current GPU drivers but everything was smooth and ready when the installer finished.

The only problem I had was messing with the language and default keyboard settings since I use English language UI but with French keyboard, the thing was kinda lost. I also had to force through Registry the Num Lock. to be activated on the login screen, it's totally dumb that it's not on by default since you're supposed to log in faster using a PIN NUMBER code..
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

madmax

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 10:38:07 am »
I tested it on my laptop (preview) and it's alright but have come across a few issues. I haven't upgraded my main rig yet, I have a whole year to upgrade so I'm waiting for issues to be resolved, I want to see how people customize it, how the power users use it .etc There are some features that interest me, we'll see when the time comes.
I'm going to have a hard time upgrading since my OS SSD is almost full, and I'll want to do a clean install on a 250GB SSD instead. I'll have to delete a bunch of stuff, upgrade, than use the key on a fresh install and then transfer anything from my current drive to the new one and then wipe it. I wish i was just given a key :/

I'm in no rush since there is no real benefit to upgrading right now. It's a lot slower on my laptop than W7 was so i know it uses slightly more resources.