Author Topic: Anyone else use an emulator so you don't have to dig your old cartridges out?  (Read 6369 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Yep, worst controller I have EVER played on. I bought an adapter that allows me to use a GameCube controller on my N64, works quite well.

turf

PRO Supporter

Yep, worst controller I have EVER played on. I bought an adapter that allows me to use a GameCube controller on my N64, works quite well.

I guess I'm the only person on Planet Earth that loathes the GameCube controller. 
The n64 controller is odd, for sure; but the GameCube controller can suck my boy parts.  Nothing feels like it's in the right spot.  It may be because my hands are too big for it. 

kashell

I guess I'm the only person on Planet Earth that loathes the GameCube controller. 
The n64 controller is odd, for sure; but the GameCube controller can suck my boy parts.  Nothing feels like it's in the right spot.  It may be because my hands are too big for it.

I wouldn't say loathe, but I think the GC controller's design is ridiculous. Half of the games I played on it I struggled because of the bizarre design.

davifus

The best controller in the world.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

rayne315

am i one of the only people that thinks the n64 controller is one of the best and most comfertable controllers? and no nestalgia is not included here as i had not ever played the n64 until 2 years ago and didnt even have one till last summer.

Anyway as for the emulations the only time i ever use them is with games that were never released in the US as i will not buy things online and the chances of finding one in the wild is real slim.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

turom

PRO Supporter

The N64 controller was pretty cool at the time with its analog stick but for many games having the D-pad in a separate area wasn't very clever, and I remember it hurting my hands when playing Forsaken or Turok intensively. The C-buttons were often used like a stick and it feels weird to play with it again nowadays... Oh and the analog needed frequent maintenance, which was not so great.

The best controller in the world.

QFT!!

IMO the Dual Shock 4 is so good it became my favorite recently but the NGC controller is indeed fantastic.

I fancy my new Smash Bros version with its ugraded Z-button, I use it whenever I can:

BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

pacpix

I actually enjoy the GameCube a lot as long as I am using it for only GameCube games.  I used it for playing Donkey Kong Country 3 on virtual console before I had the SNES cart and wanted to break the damn thing.  Took 12 hours to 103% complete DKC3 which I can do in 3-4 hours on SNES.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

yancakes

I'm firmly in the "N64 controller is great" camp, it's one of my favs. That being said, I have a bias as it's one of the few controllers designed for those of us with three arms.

I'd like to addend my original statement, btw- I will play emulators and roms for shit I have IF I'm chilling with a friend and we want to play random games. That is to say, we pick a system and literally pick a game completely at random from the hundreds or more available roms. It's a quite fun way to play tonnes of games (of varying quality) that we wouldn't otherwise play.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:34:52 am by yancakes »

deftommo

I prefer to play some of the older titles (NES/SNES/Genesis/etc) emulated. I have a couple PS2 to USB adapters so I have a really nice controller to use. My older systems were so over used by me back in the day they can get a little unreliable at times.

jsoup

I emulate all the time and have for years. If it's an expensive retro game I'd like to play, I take no issue in tracking down a ROM. Emulation is increasingly becoming the future and I see more and more collectors embracing it as a playing method.

As for the controller discussion, I'm an odd one in that I loved the N64 controller and hated the GCN one.

i did when i was younger and didn't have the means to own the games themselves, but i've always hated it
doesn't feel authentic
using the real hardware is part of the fun, especially when it comes to controllers
hell, i usually lose interest if i buy the games legit on virtual console only to find them in the wild later and play 'em all the way through
could be some sort of old dude mentality. i dunno
I agree with you.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

I don't use emulators. I prefer the actual console. I tried emulators with vinesauce, it din't work out so well.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

Re: Anyone else use an emulator so you don't have to dig your old cartridges out?
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2015, 07:07:53 pm »
I use an emulator (on my PC) for convenience and to keep my original games in "like new" condition. I like having roms as sort of "digital copies" of the games I own/collect. I just recently started downloading roms of games that were not released in the US and have been "unofficially" translated. In terms of downloading roms of games you haven't purchased, it's a bit of a gray area; especially since older games aren't being sold in stores anymore.