Author Topic: July 2015- Summertime Blues (Recently Added/Purchased Thread)  (Read 26420 times)

foxhack

Re: July 2015- Summertime Blues (Recently Added/Purchased Thread)
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2015, 10:04:54 pm »

Snowball Run was bought last week. It looks like this weird Super Monkey Ball clone for PCs so I had to grab it.
1000 Best Games for Windows was $1, it's just a typical  Swift Software shareware and PD release but it was sealed so why not.
Final Fantasy IX was $2! I bought it with another game and a movie for $5 total. It'll replace my GH Squeenix variant.
And Mortal Kombat: More Kombat? I had no idea this album even existed! It was apparently released as a second soundtrack album for the first MK movie. It's a bit scratched but I couldn't resist at a dollar. :p
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:13:37 pm by foxhack »

« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2015, 10:14:08 pm »

1000 Best Games for Windows was $1, it's just a typical shareware and PD stuff but it was sealed so why not.

Those can be a lot of fun to go through. I have a few of these and yea most of the games are horrible but there are some gems to be found in these collections.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2015, 10:15:00 pm »
I've also given up on yard sales. Too many resellers here in the Bay Area cleaning them out well before I get there. Thrift stores here are odd. Original Xbox I can pick up for $10. But for a PS2 they typically want $40. Then out of the blue I score dozens of CIB master system games for 79 cents each.

My favorite Mom and Pop shop announced last week they no longer sell video games (table top games only now). That's hit me like the death of a family member. Half of my collection is from that shop.

At this point I've become a late night lurker on eBay. Refreshing my watch list and searches in hopes of a low low "buy it now" or a "make an offer".

I've had pretty decent luck with make an offer. Paying significantly under list.

dashv, you're in the Bay Area, too? I must keep forgetting... but yeah, thrift shops around here are odd.  Usually no gaming stuff, and if there are, it's usually of little interest.  Occasionally we'll get some good items, but it feels more like luck of the draw.  Games at yard sales get snatched up before they even officially open for the day, so my best bet has just been crossing my fingers at my local thrift spots.  I don't make a big trek anywhere because I don't have a car, and there's something nice about just being at the right place at the right time sometimes :)

Yup. San Jose.

theflea

« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2015, 11:48:55 pm »
Sh!t....I went to a half dozen thrift & pawn joints today. The best thing I could find at any of them was Ecco for the PC.  >:(

Ended up making my last stop on the way home GameStop and ended up with four PS3 games. Medal of Honor, Alien vs Predator, Duck Tales and the collectors edition of Dragon Age Origins.

I guess I really shouldn't complain, but when I see a haul like bikingjahuty and the flea bring in, I wonder why I can't have a bit of luck like that. The local mom & pop shop have started jacking prices up and I'm not willing to pay it. Yard sales are so scattered and the heat is unbearable right now to boot.

Sorry for the rant. Been a long day of hunting in 95+ temps to have nothing to show for it.  :-\

I totally understand your rant. I rarely stop at Flea Markets any more, I usually hit those during the winter when garage sales are out of season. I've seen prices higher then Ebay sometimes from Flea Markets. And thrift stores, again I stop at them once in a while, but most of the time I find just sport games.

I always hear about people still finding deals at both of these places and it doesn't hurt to check in on them, you might get lucky.

How I get the finds I do takes a lot of driving around and foot work for 3 days at 6 hours each day. Part of the fun is the hunt, I have a ton of competition in my area, there's more and more resellers every year, I'm shocked I can find anything anymore. Heck I'm finding more and more garage sales where they want top retail prices on games, nothing ruins my day garage sale'n and see a table full of games at high end ebay prices.  :(
The only tip I can give you is hit as many sales as you can, it's a numbers game. out of the 50 sales I hit maybe 15 will have games, and maybe 2-3 will have good retro games.  8)
"Happy game hunting!!!"

foxhack

« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2015, 12:01:26 am »

1000 Best Games for Windows was $1, it's just a typical shareware and PD stuff but it was sealed so why not.

Those can be a lot of fun to go through. I have a few of these and yea most of the games are horrible but there are some gems to be found in these collections.

Oh, I know, I know. I have a huge collection of shareware and magazine CDs. :)

To everyone who says they're in the bay area: Could you please not buy anything? Everything that gets sent down here are leftovers from up North. :p

« Reply #155 on: July 29, 2015, 07:04:09 am »

How I get the finds I do takes a lot of driving around and foot work for 3 days at 6 hours each day.

I'm genuinely curious as to how much gas money you'd estimate spending each week just on the hunts. One of the reasons I stopped hunting, aside from sparse and expensive pickings combined with very specific wants on my part, is that the time and gas spent didn't equal what I was coming away with. Not to mention normal wear and tear on a vehicle, which many people don't factor in but more driving equals shorter vehicle life span which means buying a new one sooner. In your case, you consistently come away with great hauls so that's not the issue.

For me, when I factored in the price of gas, and my time which is also very important, I was finding that it wasn't even close to a good balance to make it worthwhile. Again, for me. Your finds are awesome to read though :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:08:43 am by atarileaf »

gf78

« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2015, 10:17:29 am »

I totally understand your rant. I rarely stop at Flea Markets any more, I usually hit those during the winter when garage sales are out of season. I've seen prices higher then Ebay sometimes from Flea Markets. And thrift stores, again I stop at them once in a while, but most of the time I find just sport games.

I always hear about people still finding deals at both of these places and it doesn't hurt to check in on them, you might get lucky.

How I get the finds I do takes a lot of driving around and foot work for 3 days at 6 hours each day. Part of the fun is the hunt, I have a ton of competition in my area, there's more and more resellers every year, I'm shocked I can find anything anymore. Heck I'm finding more and more garage sales where they want top retail prices on games, nothing ruins my day garage sale'n and see a table full of games at high end ebay prices.  :(
The only tip I can give you is hit as many sales as you can, it's a numbers game. out of the 50 sales I hit maybe 15 will have games, and maybe 2-3 will have good retro games.  8)

I live in a pretty rural area in Missouri.  I'm 10 miles from the closest town which is Farmington.  I drug my youngest daughter out with me this past Monday.  Drove 10 miles to Farmington, then south for about 20 miles to a town called Fredericktown that had a listing for two thrift stores and a Goodwill.  Well, the first thrift store is gone.  Thanks for the updated listings YP!   >:(  Drove over to the Goodwill, only to find that it's a regional office and not a store.   >:(  Around the corner was a thrift store.  The best thing they had there was Ecco for PC.  Meh...didn't bother.

Now, headed north for 35 or so miles to another town called Bonne Terre which "supposedly" has three thrift stores.  I already knew one was there because I picked up Def Jam Vendetta there.  Well, the second one in the center of town was long since gone and the other one in the Bonneville Plaza was closed.  It's been closed the last three times I drove past the damn thing!   >:( >:( >:(

Headed back south and stopped in Desloge at a pawn shop.  They had some nice stuff, but had it priced at eBay levels.  It took all of two minutes to see I wouldn't be buying anything in here.  They wanted $55 for beat up DSi's for @##$ sake!

Drove further south (working my way back toward home) to another town called Park Hills.  Didn't see anything at the pawn shop that I wanted/needed.  The two thrift stores were both closed (notice a trend here?) and the local junk shop Jose's didn't have any electronic device newer than I would say...1940ish???  The mom & pop store was also closed.  I guess Monday is the new Sunday around here.  Not that I buy much there anymore because they have been raising their prices where it is nowhere near reasonable.  On the way back to Farmington, I stopped in one of those antique/flea market indoor stores.  Not a single game to be found there.

Headed back to Farmington and stopped at Goodwill.  The only thing I was interested in there was a copy of Hot Shots Golf for the PSP which was a Greatest Hits version.  Unfortunately, some douche let the insert ride up about a half-inch over the top of the case and it was pretty much obliterated.  I passed. 

It was then that I hit up the Farmington Gamestop which is the only one within 40 miles and my bud Dave runs.  He's a good guy and all his staff are gamers.  No hipster douches here.  Ended up with Duck Tales new for $10.  Also picked up used, complete & like-new condition copies of Aliens vs. Predator and Medal of Honor for the PS3.  They also had a nearly complete copy of Dragon Age Origins collector's edition for the PS3.  All it was missing was the map.  After I got the sticker residue off the outer sleeve and wiped it down really good, it looks pretty presentable.  Got that for seven bucks. 

Moral of the story?  I drove close to 100 miles total and spent about six hours of my life, only to end up back at Gamestop where I got some decently priced games in great condition.  Next time, I'll just drive my ass up to Chesterfield where there is a big V-stock store or browse eBay.  I still have one more of those storage places that doubles as a weekend flea market in Farmington to hit up this coming weekend and one of the local pawn shops where I picked up the Zelda and Mario Wii games is about a half-mile from there.

But man...it sucked doing all that and basically coming home empty-handed.   :-\
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:23:08 am by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #157 on: July 29, 2015, 12:01:09 pm »
Fitting that this topic title has "Summertime Blues" in it.

azure

« Reply #158 on: July 29, 2015, 01:51:15 pm »

My pickups as of recently, all CIB and for some great prices.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #159 on: July 29, 2015, 02:52:44 pm »
It's puzzle time! 8)

Puyo Puyo SUN (SAT)

More pics: https://imgur.com/a/YZ2Vv

Puzzle Bobble 3 (SAT)

More pics: https://imgur.com/a/oWIOt

Those arcade puzzlers can never get old!
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

gf78

« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2015, 02:54:39 pm »
Well...got Theatrythmn (however the hell you spell that!) Final Fantasy Curtain Call complete for the 3DS.  My nephew got it as a gift this past Christmas and didn't like it.  I was just over visiting him and he said I could have it.  I guess it is technically a Final Fantasy title in the loosest sense, so...one more for my FF collection.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

abe

« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2015, 04:50:36 pm »
It's puzzle time! 8)

Puyo Puyo SUN (SAT)
More pics: https://imgur.com/a/YZ2Vv

Puzzle Bobble 3 (SAT)
More pics: https://imgur.com/a/oWIOt

Those arcade puzzlers can never get old!

Nice buys. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2015, 07:21:45 pm »
Grabbed this yesterday for the heck of it.  Thought it was a better deal than it was, but nothing particularly bad.  Original DS with Super Mario 64 DS, New Super Mario Bros, Diddy Kong Racing, Narnia, Pokemon Dash, and Super Monkey Ball.

gf78

« Reply #163 on: July 30, 2015, 10:33:03 am »
Picked up five complete original Xbox games yesterday for ten bucks.  Forza w/Xbox Live Arcade, Project Gotham Racing 1 & 2 and Rallisport Challenge Platinum Hits.  But the real treat was Kabuki Warriors!  Aside from some shelf wear, it looks brand new.  Considering all the bad things I have heard about it, it doesn't surprise me.  When I saw it, I thought about the Game Informer review where Andy said he won a match just by bashing the controller against his ass.  I knew I had to get this turd. 

doafan

« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2015, 02:32:35 pm »
Not sure exactly that it is going up in price too much, cause it's only about 30 to 50 bucks on Ebay that I'm seeing for a CIB version.  Pretty average pricing for a Zelda game I'd think.  I got my Spirit Tracks for 20 bucks and I thought that was actually a good deal, but that looks to be similar to the Ebay average too lol  I could even say its better, cause I can physically have it, no shipping worries, or any other fees attached.

By the time am replying to this thread the game that I saw was already sold and the only two available at Mercado Libre are so damn expensive so this game will have to wait but I did purchase two more titles for my NES when I was on that site, the first one is Slalom and only because I saw that this was the first game developed by Rare but what's is a little strange is that it doesn't have the typical Official Nintendo Seal of Quality, the Made in Japan reference and the NES ID on the label, talked about this with some friends and they told me that it might be a a variant this game, the second one is the Pinball, both games were at the same seller store so decided to purchase them at the same time to avoid paying two postal services, only paid the miserable quantity of 12 bucks for both titles which by the way are in excellent conditions  8)

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy