Author Topic: Reproduction Carts?  (Read 2546 times)

tafk

PRO Supporter

Reproduction Carts?
« on: July 14, 2015, 11:21:23 am »
Does anyone have experience with these? I'm looking at one on etsy for an english translated GBA Fire Emblem game that was never released in the US. Are these types of things reliable or not?

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Reproduction Carts?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 11:36:20 am »
I'd just download the language patched rom.  But that's just me.  I'm cheap. 

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 11:38:49 am »
I'd just download the language patched rom.  But that's just me.  I'm cheap.

Yeah I know its an option but there's something about playing the game on actual hardware. I know flash carts are a thing but in my mind it just doesnt feel the same if I have to load into the game...

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 11:45:00 am »
I have a couple repro carts.  Mine always work. 

aliensstudios

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 01:02:37 pm »
Does anyone have experience with these? I'm looking at one on etsy for an english translated GBA Fire Emblem game that was never released in the US. Are these types of things reliable or not?

I bought Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade/Sword of Seals from Etsy not too long ago and I'd say it was worth it. It saves, the translation is done very well and the game is a lot of fun. I haven't encountered any problems with it at all. I also have a reproduction of Mother 3 for Game Boy Advance and it works really well too. I'm the same as you, there is just something about playing a physical game on its actual hardware.

Make sure to confirm with the seller that the game saves because if it doesn't (which lots of repros don't) Fire Emblem won't be much fun.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 02:13:20 pm »
Yeah I think I'm looking at the same one you bought!

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 04:00:57 pm »
Yeah I think I'm looking at the same one you bought!

Yeah, I bought it shortly after Roy was announced for Super Smash Bros. I like it more than Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones so far. The version I got was labeled as Sword of Seals but the title screen said The Binding Blade so I made my own label for it, since Nintendo refers to it as The Sword of Seals now.

maximo310

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 06:56:57 pm »
Repro carts are pretty reliable for the most part; another thing you could do is with the retron 5, you can get the famicom/super famicom/gba original fire emblem games and load the english patches onto the retron 5 so that you can play through the game in English along with the original cart. You'll also save some money for each game over time, since repro carts usually are $40-45+ per game, in comparision to $10-20 copies for Japanese carts.

aliensstudios

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 12:18:46 am »
Repro carts are pretty reliable for the most part; another thing you could do is with the retron 5, you can get the famicom/super famicom/gba original fire emblem games and load the english patches onto the retron 5 so that you can play through the game in English along with the original cart. You'll also save some money for each game over time, since repro carts usually are $40-45+ per game, in comparision to $10-20 copies for Japanese carts.

Yeah but Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade is pretty much the same price for a repro as the original game.

maximo310

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 12:59:42 am »

Yeah but Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade is pretty much the same price for a repro as the original game.
Ok, didn't know that. Know that I looked it up, some GBA games like that are going to be the same price for original or repro carts. But there are still a lot of other games where getting the original cart is a cheaper option than the repro.

aliensstudios

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 02:06:55 pm »
Yep, that's true such as the original Fire Emblem for the FamiCom.