Author Topic: OnLive Game System  (Read 3070 times)

killerchameleon

OnLive Game System
« on: February 17, 2012, 05:34:32 am »
Has anyone seen this or used this?  Should this be add to the database?
http://www.onlive.com/game-system

matt

Re: OnLive Game System
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 06:11:33 am »
I've seen a demo of it in person but haven't actually used it. I'm honestly curious but almost scared of it, because if it's successful it'll change gaming as we know it.

killerchameleon

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 06:34:26 am »
It’s going to happen weather you like it or not, I don’t know though I think people still want to hold something at least us older generation still feel that way.  The newer generation will be more acceptable towards it like music CD’s, kids don’t buy CD’s they down load music to there phones or IPOD.

killerchameleon

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:39:32 am »
Well I down loaded the free software for the Onlive cloud gaming system.  I’m afraid that this is going to be the future of gaming.  Say good by to boxes and cases.  No longer will you need a powerful gaming system like the Xbox or Playstation, all you need is a high speed internet connection.  I managed to pick up the Onlive micro console for $29.00 so I’m going to check that out when I get it but yes girls and boys I believe this is the next big thing.  Perhaps Microsoft and Sony will add software updates to incorporate the same idea as Onlive, I just don’t see the need for more powerful systems anymore.  Also how can you beat the price $99 a year and you have access to over 140 games, I’m already paying over half that now just for Xbox live.  Yep I’m going to have to try this out, this will give me access to games I might never have tried to play do to just being too cheap to try.  Anyway that’s my thoughts on this Onlive could gaming system so far.

jobocan

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:01:54 am »
I don't think cloud gaming is quite there yet. Internet speeds need to be faster for everyone first (otherwise a lot of people couldn't access gaming at all and "normal" consoles would have to remain the norm), things such as bandwidth on internet subscriptions need to go otherwise this will greatly limit playtime for people (with big name ISPs in Canada, you have around 10-25GB of download every month, which isn't a lot), and there's always gonna be minor input lag. That and the video quality, at least now, has to remain lower.

Maybe in 10 years cloud gaming will be viable if internet speed increases and it becomes available to everyone, but until then the gaming industry needs to continue embracing physical media.

darko

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:01:29 pm »
Sony and Nintendo obviously feel like they still need to produce physical copies of games for the next 5 years. Vita and 3DS anyone?

I think something is going to change after the next round of consoles release, but a flight to the cloud? I doubt it.

matt

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 03:58:29 pm »
I think the next big push is to simply release titles as both physical media and as a downloadable title. I can defintely see MS going this direction with the next console release. As for going to an OnLive system, this is definitely something that could be implemented with an existing system so we may definitely see some of the major players entering this market. I'm interested and really need to give OnLive a chance.

jobocan

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 05:41:46 pm »
I think the next big push is to simply release titles as both physical media and as a downloadable title.

Well, Sony are already doing that with the Vita, so that makes perfect sense.

killerchameleon

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 06:42:25 pm »
Well I know in my house hold Netflix is streaming video almost 24/7, I’m on the computer and one of my kids will usually be on their 3DS either playing a game on the internet or streaming a video and I use Vonage for my phone my speeds seem to be pretty stable.  I do agree, more band width will be needed but I think it will be here sooner than we think.

killerchameleon

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 10:56:15 am »
Look, has Sony seen the light?  Is Sony going to switch their strategies and drop the expensive processors and look towards cloud gaming?  

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/rumor-sony-may-be-dropping-cell-processor-for-ps4/

killerchameleon

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 11:01:59 am »
I know I’m just reading into some of these articles but look at this could Sony be upgrading its firmware on it’s PS3 to support cloud gaming?  Profit wise this would be the way to go for Sony.  

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/playstation-network-maintenance-postponed/

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 02:15:01 pm »
I'm a bit disappointed with the current generation of consoles and will not be buying in to the next generation. Call me a dinosaur or a relic of a bygone era, but when it comes to games, if I can't touch it, I don't want it. Besides, I have many games in my collection I haven't played and there's still thousands out there for the now-classic consoles. Should keep me busy for a while.

My thoughts on the subject are obviously quite different from the current generation and even that of my own generation. I'm apparently not a part of the target audience that Onlive is pursuing.

matt

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 04:07:21 pm »
Well...this thread worked and convinced me to give it a try. Holy shit. Nearly flawless. I tried a few 15 minute trials and everything was as smooth as silk. I wanted to test out an FPS so I loaded up FEAR3. Graphics were nearly maxed out and the thing ran silky smooth. I'm on a 10meg Charter connection and it handled it great. I may be sold on this idea...

atariboy

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 05:10:41 pm »
I'm with dstone on this one, If I can't touch it, I don't want it. Yes i am old school all the way and love the feel of the actual controller in my hands. I have emulators on my PSP and they work when I need something to play but they dont feel right without the proper controller, no matter how bad the controller.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

scott

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 05:12:29 pm »
I'm with dstone and atariboy. If modern gaming goes this route, then I'll be building up my retro library.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread