Author Topic: Anyone own a large import collection?  (Read 4348 times)

dreama1

Re: Anyone own a large import collection?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 12:29:37 pm »
I love imports, My import collection is not the biggest I'm sure, But I've been on an Import craze lately, watching videos on you tube and picking up games that never saw light in the states. This week I just picked up 3 new imports, A Famicom Game, A Super Famicom Game and a DS game. (you can see them on the latest pick ups page)

I do buy games that where released in both Japan and the US but only if their dirt cheap or sometimes just because I like the art better then the US release.
I think the draw is because of how mysterious the games are, and unknown. Plus better box art.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 01:18:40 pm »
I have about 20 import games across Famicom, Super Famicom, PS3, & PS4.

Mostly games that never came out here.

Super Metriod is an exception. I saved myself $30 by going with the Super Famicom version.

Now that most people know it's in full English I think it sells for the same anount. :P

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 04:55:23 pm »
i've got like a famicom, 16 famicom games and 1 super famicom game. no super famicom yet, tho :[

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 05:57:02 pm »
Most of my NeoGeo AES (11 on 15) and all my NeoGeo CD collection (23) are japanese, its so cheaper compare to NA prices. Also have few import on Dreamcast, PSP, DS, GBA and from Europe I got Xenoblade Chronicles special edition with the red controller.

I own some Japanese consoles; NeoGeo AES, NeoGeo CD top loader and a Wonderswan Color Final Fantasy II edition.

Im actually thinking to buy a japanese Saturn and few games, there are so inexpensive compare to NA.

Retro ARCADE games news, review and gameplay Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrltRbkb_z9yUZvypUdWo8A

Twitter; https://twitter.com/NGCDManiac

maximo310

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 06:32:49 pm »
I own a few Super Famicom games, because of Japan exclusivity/ nice artwork. Plus, two of them have their menus in English so they're very playable.
I also own a few import Sega Dreamcast games, and a bunch of import Sega Saturn games, mostly because the prices are cheaper and its so much easier to find Japanese copies cib and store them compared to the US Saturn copies cib. That's because jewel cases vs those brittle longboxes i see most of the time.

gf78

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 10:15:30 am »
There are a lot of reasons to buy import titles, especially for the Famicom and Super Famicom.  For one, you can get them a lot cheaper than their US counterparts.  A SNES cartridge for Chrono Trigger goes for up to $50 at auction.  I picked up a complete in box-in fantastic condition-copy for the Super Famicom for under $20 shipped.  The packaging and artwork is usually better on the Japanese versions and the inner tray is sturdier and prevents the cardboard boxes from being crushed.  I also like the cartridges themselves better than their US counterparts.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

abe

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 10:23:03 am »
I also like the cartridges themselves better than their US counterparts.

But they don't have end labels. :-\
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

dondetti

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 11:48:38 am »
There are a lot of reasons to buy import titles, especially for the Famicom and Super Famicom.  For one, you can get them a lot cheaper than their US counterparts.  A SNES cartridge for Chrono Trigger goes for up to $50 at auction.  I picked up a complete in box-in fantastic condition-copy for the Super Famicom for under $20 shipped.  The packaging and artwork is usually better on the Japanese versions and the inner tray is sturdier and prevents the cardboard boxes from being crushed.  I also like the cartridges themselves better than their US counterparts.

All of this pretty much. It's incredible how cheap Mother 2 is compared to the US version. Especially RPGs, tactics and simulations are mostly in the 5-20$ range CIB. Not so much for simpler platformers and action types, I guess because the language barrier is much less of a problem there. Wild Guns or Demon's Blazon for example are still super expensive on a SFC cart.
I can you only chance
You need spell your soul
To the horrid spooky devil
That's a voyage to Hell

Games: https://vgcollect.com/dondetti
Music: https://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/parabellum

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 09:20:10 am »
bought a gameboy light!

edit: my japanese software count is now 87.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:22:34 am by badATchaos »

tripredacus

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 10:09:31 am »
I have a few japanese games for sure. Famicom carts seem to be the easiest to get. 2nd place to that would be Canadian games, which I feel like shouldn't count as they are just package variations.

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 12:10:08 pm »
I also like the cartridges themselves better than their US counterparts.

But they don't have end labels. :-\

Same thing for European cartridges, and that really annoy me, i can't really tell what game it is unless i take the cart one by one out of the shelf (well. now my games are sorted by name so it's less annoying since i know more or less where the game i want is but still, it would have been better if they had a end label too).

I've heard some people talking about the end label for N64 (those) and seen others make their own for Snes games but i absolutely can't see myself put something on them.

tpugmire

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 10:58:14 pm »
I have a handful of Canadian NES games that I'm still not exactly sure how I ended up with. One PC-Engine game that I bought to test my TG-16 region modding skills, and I actually got my first Super Famicom game today.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

kashell

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 09:50:11 am »
Without counting, I think I own close to 30 import titles. I've played most of them to completion, but the ones that give me the best memories are:

Tales of Destiny 2 for the PSP since it was the first Japanese Tales of that I finished.

Romancing SaGa 3 for the Super Famicom since I love SaGa stuff.

I really enjoy playing imported titles because it doubles as a study session for Japanese. Also, my copy of Haunting Ground is from Europe and was half the cost of the NA version. Importing some games is usually cheaper.

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 10:03:44 am »
I believe I have 3 famicom games, 6 super famicom games, 1 Playstation 2 japanese game, and 1 Wii U japanese game.

I used to own the Australian version of EyePet, since it released there a year before it released here.

Back when I worked at Gamestop, I almost bought the japanese version of Bayonetta because my store had it in stock and I knew we would never successfully sell it.  I think I've seen it since then... my store closed, stock got transferred elsewhere.

romanticore

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 05:03:31 pm »
Well... as most of my games ain't SWE or SCN releases (they're mostly UK), I'll say that a fair share of my collection is imported.
Currently Playing:
Chrono Trigger (DS)