Author Topic: Add takes too long  (Read 1289 times)

Add takes too long
« on: September 05, 2015, 12:21:01 pm »
I have a lot of games to enter, why does it require at least two clicks and a page load to add an item to my collection. I do a search then I have to click the correct item, which loads a new page and then I have to click "Add to Collection". The add to collection should be in the search results, maybe as a + icon. Can this function please be added, I've got way more important things to do then spend months adding my collection.

telly

Re: Add takes too long
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 12:38:06 pm »
Welcome to the site! :)

The immediate add to collection is already in the search results. When you search for a particular series, a specific game or even browse the whole catalog for a particular console, you can click the little check boxes on the right hand side, and add all the games on that search page to your collection at once.

To clarify, by browsing through the GBA library, I can add these two games automatically by clicking "add to collection", then I can move on down the page, search for something else, etc.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 12:44:27 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 01:46:01 am »
Hadn't seen that, thanks

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 02:22:00 am »
Is there an API I can access, I have all my games entered in a database and just wanted to migrate to this service but even with my new understanding of the system it still take way to many clicks, such as the modal dialog that tells me a game has been added. I did notice an export function but no import, maybe I missed it?

Thanks for any info
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:24:20 am by errorstribe »

telly

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 12:11:29 pm »
I personally don't know if such a thing exists at the moment; I also haven't seen an import feature at least. It's certainly an interesting suggestion though. Perhaps someone else (maybe an admin) can speak to that possibility.  :-\ Sorry I can't be of any more help.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

karyann

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 12:47:01 pm »
Is there an API I can access, I have all my games entered in a database and just wanted to migrate to this service but even with my new understanding of the system it still take way to many clicks, such as the modal dialog that tells me a game has been added. I did notice an export function but no import, maybe I missed it?

Thanks for any info

The problem with an import function is that no two websites or people structure their data the same way. Even in a CSV file, all required fields have to be the same on both ends. If we made an import function, you would still have to edit your database or CSV to fit our own pattern, and it would probably take as much time (if not more) as to enter them by checking boxes like you currently are doing.  :-\

What kind of database are your games in?

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 03:39:00 pm »
My current collection is stored in a SQL Server that I have on my personal system, but if their was a documented schema, I could do the transformation from my database. I understand that not everything would match well but if just 90% of my collection transferred that would save me months.

tpugmire

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 10:40:48 am »
There is a way, it may take some time though. Send a PM to Matt, he's the only one who can do it.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

aliensstudios

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 12:15:23 pm »
For me, adding all of the games was fun because I got to look at every game I own, note the condition and how complete it was, it took a week or two to enter everything without getting burnt out on the site. I never really noticed it took a while to add games though.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 01:26:16 pm »
I spent about a month putting all my stuff in but it gave me the opportunity to re-inventory everything. I found my old Excel spreadsheet was missing quite a few things.

How big is your collection?