Author Topic: Rarest & Most Valuable Consoles  (Read 4067 times)

gf78

Rarest & Most Valuable Consoles
« on: September 23, 2015, 02:33:32 pm »
After picking up the PlayStation 20th Anniversary PS4 which is limited to a paltry 12,300 units worldwide, it got me thinking about what other consoles out there are limited like this. 

So community of fellow VGCers, throw your hats in and lets see what the rarest consoles are.  I have crappy internet here at work and most sites are blocked, so it's up to you guys.  I'll start off with the above system (since I already know this) and the Mountain Dew Xbox console and a few others which...I don't know how many were actually made.  Find out for me guys!

PlayStation 4 20th Anniversary Edition:  12,300 worldwide
Xbox Mountain Dew Edition:  5,000
Xbox Crystal Edition:  ???
Xbox Halo Combat Evolved Edition:  200,000
Xbox Launch Team 2001 Edition:  several hundred
Xbox Partner Edition:  14 known to exist
Xbox Atari Edition:  1 console, given away to one lucky contestant at Leipzig Game Convention 2004
Xbox Skeleton Black Edition:  10,000 released in Japan only
Xbox Panzer Dragoon Orta Edition:  999
Xbox Ice Blue Halo 2 Edition:  ???
Xbox Kasumi-Chan Edition:  5,000 released in Japan only
Xbox Hulk/Pepsi Edition:  35 released in the UK for a contest (identical color to Mountain Dew edition)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Re: Rarest & Most Valuable Consoles
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:16:17 pm »
This website has documented a lot of them, but some don't have their production numbers.
http://www.consolecolors.com/

karyann

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 03:28:37 pm »
Nintendo has made many very limited edition 3DS, like the Eevee or Charizard 3DS XL, but the rarest is the one given out to the 2 winners of the Pokémon Dragon King Tournament (one for the video game winner, and one for the card game winner). That means there's only two of this system.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 05:47:29 pm »
I know the Dreamcast has a bunch of crazy rare models. The site linked by scarface illustrates it on the SEGA page. I've seen outrageous prices on some of them on the bay.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 08:21:29 pm »
Yes, I'd say Dreamcast has some of the rarest. Every time I scan through my favorite japanese sellers I find some weird variant I'd never seen before.

Here's some of my favorite strange, unusual systems:

TeraDrive MegaDrive
Mega Jet
White Sega Game Gear
Sharp Famicom Titler
Apple Bandai Pippin
STARS Dreamcast (only 200 made)
Mother 3 Game Boy Advance
square button Famicoms (first production run had quare rubber A & B buttons)
Osamu Tezuka Game Boy Light
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:29:02 pm by badATchaos »

pizzasafari

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 08:27:39 pm »
I don't have a clue how rare it is but I have the Final Fantasy 2 edition WonderSwan Colour. It's pretty cool.

I prioritize rare games over rare consoles though so that's really all I have. Though I'd love to get the Persona Q edition 3DS.

aliensstudios

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 12:50:50 pm »
I believe there is a gold plated Wii that now defunct THQ presented to the Queen of England, that probably doesn't count though. I think it's funny that THQ waisted the money and resources on a gold Wii and now they aren't even in the business.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

gf78

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 01:15:37 pm »
I believe there is a gold plated Wii that now defunct THQ presented to the Queen of England, that probably doesn't count though. I think it's funny that THQ waisted the money and resources on a gold Wii and now they aren't even in the business.

THQ can blame their collective downfall of trying to chase that casual audience that the Wii tapped into.  They squandered their money on the U-Draw tablet and games which was a huge money pit.  Instead of cutting their losses, they tried to expand the U-Draw to the Xbox 360 and PS3 which only dug that hole deeper. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

aliensstudios

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 04:09:44 pm »

THQ can blame their collective downfall of trying to chase that casual audience that the Wii tapped into.  They squandered their money on the U-Draw tablet and games which was a huge money pit.  Instead of cutting their losses, they tried to expand the U-Draw to the Xbox 360 and PS3 which only dug that hole deeper.
To be honest, I can't even really think of one THQ game that blew me away, they just seemed mediocre, sort of like Acclaim.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 04:55:00 pm »

To be honest, I can't even really think of one THQ game that blew me away, they just seemed mediocre, sort of like Acclaim.

WWE series, Red Faction series, and the underrated gem that is Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, Destroy All Humans, and G-Darius (SUCH a good shoot-em up). But that's only a handful of their library. Most of it, you are right, mediocre.

maximo310

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 05:23:38 pm »

WWE series, Red Faction series, and the underrated gem that is Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, Destroy All Humans, and G-Darius (SUCH a good shoot-em up). But that's only a handful of their library. Most of it, you are right, mediocre.
THQ only published the PS1 G-Darius port in North America/Europe; Taito was the developer for that game. A lot of THQ's self published games weren't too great, and the only good games that I've played from them in the last several years were DeBlob 1 and the Darksiders games.

aliensstudios

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 08:55:14 pm »

I have Drake and Josh, which is a show I enjoyed when I was younger, but that game is the definition terrible.

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 05:41:57 am »
I believe there is a gold plated Wii that now defunct THQ presented to the Queen of England

That's adorable, I love it...   ;D

gf78

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 08:48:08 am »
THQ only published the PS1 G-Darius port in North America/Europe; Taito was the developer for that game. A lot of THQ's self published games weren't too great, and the only good games that I've played from them in the last several years were DeBlob 1 and the Darksiders games.

I avoided G-Darius for years because I always viewed THQ as a ho-hum, second-rate company.  It was only after learning that it was a Taito game that I actually bought it, despite that fugly "THQ" on the bottom right corner.  Devil Dice was another good game they published in America. 

Aside from those and a few others that they picked up publishing duties on, the Darksiders games were the only ones that I really thought were good.  And even at that, they weren't these big "blow-you-away" great games.  Just good. 

gf78

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 08:54:46 am »

Acclaim only lived as long as they did because they were the publisher for a few hits like the early Mortal Kombat titles.  Their stuff was pretty much junk.  Mostly a bunch of wrastlin' titles and the crap that was Turok.