Author Topic: Item(s) you regret trading/selling/giving away  (Read 3239 times)

kashell

Re: Item(s) you regret trading/selling/giving away
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 11:41:49 am »
Hmm. Off the top of my head, the only thing I regret selling or trading in was the original Grandia for the PlayStation. I got three dollars from F*ckyouLand....er.....FuncoLand. I eventually got a complete copy years later and enjoyed it.

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 12:03:42 pm »
I spent some time trying to think about this.  I don't think there were ever any games I traded or sold that I regretted.

I've had games that I regretted going halfsies on with a friend or a sibling.  You grow up, you move on, who gets the game?  That type of situation.

Alternatively, I've regretted letting people borrow games.  I try not to let people borrow games I wouldn't be able to replace easily.  I don't always lend people games, but when I do, I never get them back.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 12:05:16 pm »
You long-timers have already heard this story, but my biggest regret is actually my brother selling my stuff.

He went to GameStop and sold our MAGNIFICENT NES collection. We had so many games, in those plastic NES storage cases with the slots for games. And all the good ones, too: The entire Castlevania, entire Dragon Warrior, entire Mega Man, entire Lolo, entire Double Dragon, entire Zelda, entire Mario series, and others like Final Fantasy, DuckTales 1 & 2, Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, and others. We had the Game Genie, the Turbo-Joystick, the turbo-controller wrap arounds, the cleaning kid, a bunch of Nintendo Powers that corresponded with strategies to games I owned. It was AMAZING!!!

And my brother went with my mom, and sold it all to GameStop (right after they bought out FuncoLand, so they were still taking retro-stuff). You know what he got with it? A freaking Game Boy Color, a handful of games, and stupid little plastic carrying case for the games. Still makes me a little steamed thinking about the greatness we lost.

telly

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 12:11:09 pm »
*snip*
And my brother went with my mom, and sold it all to GameStop (right after they bought out FuncoLand, so they were still taking retro-stuff). You know what he got with it? A freaking Game Boy Color, a handful of games, and stupid little plastic carrying case for the games. Still makes me a little steamed thinking about the greatness we lost.

I'm getting second-hand mad just by hearing that story, that sucks man.

I never sold any of my games that I had when I was a kid, but that was something my brother did all the time. I did lose all of my Game Boy Color games however, I still have the actual system somehow. It would have also been nice to hold on to the boxes/manuals for all my childhood GBA games.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

maximo310

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 12:44:19 pm »
I've only lost a few Gamecube games in the past for trade ins because I had no spending money for food and other things. Thankfully, I've managed to get them all back for a lower price than I originally spent on them.
The most recent thing I regreted was trading my Kirby Super Star Ultra cart for a Zelda Ocarina of Time 3DS cart to a friend a few years ago since I have had great memories with Ultra and those True Arena speedruns.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 12:58:44 pm »
Atari 2600 and games many years ago.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

aliensstudios

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 04:36:32 pm »
I was too little to care but we had a boxed copy of Gunstar Heroes for Sega Genesis that my mom sold for two bucks at a garage sale before we moved, what I'd give to have that now… I also remember when I was about three or four me and my younger brother were playing with two NES zappers and our mom told us to go put them back into the box. We put them in a big box which (according to my dad) contained two NES systems with boxes and boxed complete copies of The Legend of Zelda, Wizards and Warriors, Tecmo Super Bowl, Bases Loaded, Mega Man, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!!, Super Mario Bros. 3, Tetris, Ice Hockey, Tennis and Golf. There were also two copies of Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt. I still remember my dad coming home from work and asking what my mom did with the video games, she donated them because my older brothers grades were slipping in school. This was probably 1998 or 1999 so once again I was too little to notice or care. Looking back, I wished I had stopped her though.
My Grandma also gave away her giant SNES collection which had tons of games in it, the likes of which would cost me probably five hundred dollars to buy nowadays. While I do have some of the games from that collection, it still bothers me that I didn't call her when she was moving and maybe ask for a few of them, but that was well before I was into collecting.
Personally, I've given away Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. Melee and the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to my older bros. who had them stolen by their POS druggie roommate at the time. Thankfully he didn't take Melee which they gave back to me.
I've lost a few games over time like Sonic Advance, Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros. DS, Donkey Kong Country for GBC (which was actually taken from my desk by my teacher when I wasn't at school and never given back), Super Mario Bros. DX and Dr. Mario for Game Boy. Thankfully most of those games are cheap and already have replacements for. Overall though, not really any regrets on my end. I can remember a time where we went to EB games to try and sell our ten game GameCube collection in order to afford Mario Kart Double Dash but the guy only offered like 42 bucks for all of it which wasn't even enough to buy the game. I remember me and my little bro going home upset that we couldn't get it and we had to wait a while before our dad got us the game. I am so thankful we kept our games, and from that day on, I never let someone try to rip me off again.
Interesting topic, it's good to see that so many of us kept our games and/or never got ripped off.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2015, 09:57:38 pm »
When saving for the original Playstation, I sold several gems at the "Yard sale of fail" including Splatterhouse2, Splatterhouse 3,Streets of Rage,  Atomic robo-Kid (Genesis), Uninvited, Rad Racer 2, Super Dodgeball, Megaman 3, and several others I cant recall at the moment.(Nes). Stoooopid