Author Topic: October 2015 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 24516 times)

gf78

Re: October 2015 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2015, 02:24:46 pm »
Man, all these game groups I keep seeing people getting these massive deals, or people just giving them stuff. Over and over again.

How do you guys keep having this lucky. I can scour yard sale after yard sale, pawn shop after pawn shop; and I'm lucky if I come across cartridges of any kind.

For me my best finds ever come from asking people at garage sales if they have anything because they may you know forget about the nes with a handful of games up in the attic or didn't really think anyone would spend money on it since their games and systems stored away are 15, 20+ years old.

the exact line I use is "you don't by chance happen to have any video games do you?" or some variation their upon, then I wait to see/hear their reaction a quick no means they either don't have any or they don't want to sell which ends the attempt,.

If they say no but It takes them a bit to say it like they are thinking or are hesitant then they probably have games in the house but are unsure if they should sell them. On these I usually start by telling them that "well I'm just wondering because I actually collect video games" and start a conversation with them and probably 70-80% of the time IF they actually have games they will go inside and bring out a few and I just pick from there ( I personally always ask what they want for them and If its a good deal I do not haggle even if I know I will get a better deal, If they over price it then that is when I haggle)

sometimes you will hear "Yeah we have games but my (insert relative here) plays them." In this instance I ask "You wouldn't know If you have anything older that they don't play anymore do you?" This is a lot less with probably only 20-30% success rate to see the games and they are usually picked clean of any good titles but sometimes you get lucky and can get some very good things.

The best Is a hesitation and "well what are you looking for?" this usually means they have something older like play station and backwards or a handheld, my answer is "anything really I collect video games, so If your have something you are willing to bring something out then Im willing to look at it." this is how I get the majority of my cartridge and handheld games.

Also just remember that any garage sale Is ran by a person so basically just act how you would like to be acted towards "hello", "how are you", "nice weather we are having", ect before asking any questions will open more doors than you would think at a garage sale. and as such if you know their initial offer is a fantastic deal ie $5 for a game you know sells for $50 in its current condition don't try and haggle it down as they are just trying to make a few bucks off of stuff they don't use anymore.

All good pointers.  Asking a question never hurts.  I've also found that if you use Facebook, there are a lot of Buy/Sell/Trade pages with local listings.  I missed it the other day, but my wife showed me a guy selling a mint condition, complete copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Gamecube for $25.  Not a steal per se, but a good price for this game.  Not only can you peruse what people have listed, you can make your own post asking of advertising that you are in the market for gaming goods. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

pacpix

« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2015, 07:44:47 pm »
Stopped by Gamestop after my classes today and picked up The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes :)
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2015, 01:33:15 am »
A very Zelda day today.  Just waiting on my hardcover strategy guide for the game right now as apparently Amazon isn't interested in shipping it out in a timely manner lol

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2015, 03:54:58 pm »
Earlier this week got WarioWare Smooth moves on the Wii from Leaptrade

went to a convention today (chiller theatre) and picked up
-Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest NES
-Ghosthunter PS2

spac316

« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2015, 04:31:53 pm »
Got Mario & Wario for SFC in the mail from Pink Gorilla today!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:10:01 am by spac316 »

karyann

« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2015, 04:50:31 pm »
A very Zelda day today.  Just waiting on my hardcover strategy guide for the game right now as apparently Amazon isn't interested in shipping it out in a timely manner lol

That Link figure is so cool! I hope I can find one too eventually.

I just traded 3 more Animal Crossing amiibo cards today, and finally got Isabelle!  And now I really want to buy the damn official card holder to keep and display them. >_>

« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2015, 05:48:22 pm »

That Link figure is so cool! I hope I can find one too eventually.

I just ended up buying it on Amazon for 10 bucks since it got down cheap enough for me.  It's too hard trying to find these in the stores lol

maximo310

« Reply #157 on: October 24, 2015, 07:15:57 pm »
Picked up some more complete stuff:
A copy of Darksiders II for Wii U from BB for $10
Resistance 2, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and 2 copies of Project Spark Starter Pack ( these were only 1c each) at GS.

Flashback2012

« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2015, 03:37:45 am »
New additions for the week...

CD-i
Caesars World of Gambling

Interactive Figures
Gnarly Tree Rex (Was CIB but the cardboard backing fell off)  :P

NES
Destiny of an Emperor (Map Only, completes my copy)
Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode (Cart Only, completes my copy)
Goonies II (Cart Only)
Pinball (Box Only, completes my copy)

PS3
Eyepet
Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late (Burned GS points to get this for $10)

PS4
Watch Dogs (Used a coupon to get this for $10)

SNES
Harley's Humongous Adventure (Cart and Box)
Hole in One Golf (Cart and Box)

Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 2

gf78

« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2015, 10:08:16 am »
Got a black PSP 3001 system.  It has a few light scratches on the finish if you really look for them.  Otherwise it looks and plays like new.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

theflea

« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2015, 04:27:17 pm »
Not much from garage sales this weekend, mostly scraps. I'll be lucky if garage sales are still going on here in the next couple weeks.

Garage sales...

XB360
Found a box full of 360 sport games for $1 each. Picked out the few I was missing.
- Madden NFL 06
- Madden NFL 07 Hall of Fame Edition
- NBA Live 06

Wii
A sale advertised Wii + games, buy the time I got there it was pretty much scraps. Got these 3 Wii games and a PSP game for $5.
- Rock Band
- Rock Band Track Pack vol. 1
- SSX Blur
PSP
- Need for Speed Underground Rivals

Wii
Saw this in a free box and figured, sure why not. lol
- Nerf N-Strike (disc only)

PS1
At a sale I see a Playstation in really bad shape on a table. I open it up and see a game in it. I ask about the game and the lady said .25c.
- Final Fantasy Tactics

I see a sale advertise "Tons of Xbox 360 & PS2 games" I get there and hour early and it wasn't open yet and I was the only one there so far. after about 20 minutes the resellers start showing up. I waited near the garage door and someone comes out of the house to start setting up. one of them rushes to ask her about the games and I say hey, excuse me I was here first. Then he yells at me "I don't care" and continues to ask prices before they even opened the door. She says $6 and he gets all pissed and leaves. Then another reseller comes and telling a sob story how he needs these games to feed his family and how he lost his job playing on my guilt. This is the sort of thing I gotta deal with here. So they finally open the door and I hit the games and see mostly Xbox 360 games but there was a mix of XB, PS1, PS2 and GC. I quickly grab anything I might be interested in while the reseller started scanning everything. He leaves thinking there was nothing of value left and I noticed he left a game I didn't pick up at first because it was a disc (and manual) only game. This game loose is worth about $20. I figured well if he didn't want it.  :P
Most resellers if it doesn't have a bar code to scan they know nothing about it. So I ask if she would take $20 for 5 games and she said sure.
XB
- Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
- Ninja Gaiden
- Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition
GC
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom
- Eternal Darkness (this was the one the reseller passed on)  :P

Now for the few store/online buys...

Target had a bunch of the Mario Maker Rubik's Cubes on the Clearance for $2.

PS4
- Tales of Zestiria - Collector's Edition

PS3
- Dragon's Age Inquisition (on clearance for $10)

DC
A new homebrew Dreamcast game  :)
- Ghost Blade

"Happy game hunting!!!"

desocietas

« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2015, 05:16:56 pm »
Not much from garage sales this weekend, mostly scraps. I'll be lucky if garage sales are still going on here in the next couple weeks.

Garage sales...

XB360
Found a box full of 360 sport games for $1 each. Picked out the few I was missing.
- Madden NFL 06
- Madden NFL 07 Hall of Fame Edition
- NBA Live 06

Wii
A sale advertised Wii + games, buy the time I got there it was pretty much scraps. Got these 3 Wii games and a PSP game for $5.
- Rock Band
- Rock Band Track Pack vol. 1
- SSX Blur
PSP
- Need for Speed Underground Rivals

Wii
Saw this in a free box and figured, sure why not. lol
- Nerf N-Strike (disc only)

PS1
At a sale I see a Playstation in really bad shape on a table. I open it up and see a game in it. I ask about the game and the lady said .25c.
- Final Fantasy Tactics

I see a sale advertise "Tons of Xbox 360 & PS2 games" I get there and hour early and it wasn't open yet and I was the only one there so far. after about 20 minutes the resellers start showing up. I waited near the garage door and someone comes out of the house to start setting up. one of them rushes to ask her about the games and I say hey, excuse me I was here first. Then he yells at me "I don't care" and continues to ask prices before they even opened the door. She says $6 and he gets all pissed and leaves. Then another reseller comes and telling a sob story how he needs these games to feed his family and how he lost his job playing on my guilt. This is the sort of thing I gotta deal with here. So they finally open the door and I hit the games and see mostly Xbox 360 games but there was a mix of XB, PS1, PS2 and GC. I quickly grab anything I might be interested in while the reseller started scanning everything. He leaves thinking there was nothing of value left and I noticed he left a game I didn't pick up at first because it was a disc (and manual) only game. This game loose is worth about $20. I figured well if he didn't want it.  :P
Most resellers if it doesn't have a bar code to scan they know nothing about it. So I ask if she would take $20 for 5 games and she said sure.
XB
- Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
- Ninja Gaiden
- Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Game of the Year Edition
GC
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom
- Eternal Darkness (this was the one the reseller passed on)  :P

Now for the few store/online buys...

Target had a bunch of the Mario Maker Rubik's Cubes on the Clearance for $2.

PS4
- Tales of Zestiria - Collector's Edition

PS3
- Dragon's Age Inquisition (on clearance for $10)

DC
A new homebrew Dreamcast game  :)
- Ghost Blade

Nice find with Eternal Darkness. I don't care for CIB games but won't pass up a difficult-to-find item like that one... A sign of an actual game collector - one who doesn't need UPCs to know if a game is worth picking up!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #162 on: October 27, 2015, 08:48:12 pm »
Just got Thor: God of Thunder for ds for free. 2nd time my mom found a DS game at her work after a tenate moved out  ;D
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

Warmsignal

« Reply #163 on: October 27, 2015, 10:05:26 pm »
Warioware Smooth Moves (which sounds like a laxative)
Shadow Dancer
Cobra Command
Image Fight

spac316

« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2015, 02:40:22 am »
Picked up Halo 5, Limited edition!