Author Topic: Good DS/3DS Games  (Read 2173 times)

Good DS/3DS Games
« on: October 14, 2015, 05:43:16 pm »
Hello, I am fairly new to the site and I was hoping people would give me suggestions on some DS/3DS games. I am into RPGs (especially monster-capturing RPGs) but I am also into several other genres. Also, if I have this in the wrong place, tell me please.

maximo310

Re: Good DS/3DS Games
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 05:58:15 pm »
For RPGs I can personally reccomend:
Bravely Default
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Dragon Quest IV-VI/ IX
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 1+2
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon/Awakening

Some other good stuff from other genres:
Bangai-O Spirits
Monster Hunter 4
Castlevania: Order of Eccelesia
New Super Mario Bros

These are just to get the list started. I know that the DS has a ton of RPG's( as well as huge NA/import library in general) so I'll let some other people mention those.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 06:01:10 pm by maximo310 »

abe

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 06:19:07 pm »
There's no shortage of good stuff on the DS. I'll try to mention stuff maximo hasn't already, and will try to only mention games I've had experience with or own.

RPGs
Children of Mana (DS) - Action RPG
Chrono Trigger (DS) - RPG
Disgaea DS (DS) - Strategy RPG. The weakest port of the original Disgaea, but great if you don't have a PSP.
Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans (DS) - RPG
Etrian Odyssey series (DS & 3DS) - Dungeon crawling RPGs, and one roguelike (Etrian Mystery Dungeon for the 3DS)
Fantasy Life (3DS) - Action RPG. One of my favorite games on the 3DS.
Glory of Heracles (DS) - RPG
Mega Man Star Force (DS) - Action RPG. Similar to the Battle Network series, but hard to give a solid recommendation to non-Mega Man fans. Not bad, but not the best.
Rune Factory 3 (DS) & Rune Factory 4 (3DS) - Action RPG/farming sim. The first couple games in the series are alright, but 3 & 4 are the best in my opinion.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS) - Dungeon crawling RPG. Originally a Japan exclusive game for the Sega Saturn.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 06:21:29 pm by abe »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

pizzasafari

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 06:39:41 pm »
I don't really play DS or 3DS all that much but these are some games I've played on them that I like personally. All genres. I'll exclude games you already have in your collection.

For DS:
Zero Escape: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors - It's mostly visual novel though it does have a fair bit of puzzle solving. Regardless the story is amazing. It has a sequel which is even better. This game has a couple of flaws but the sequel irons them out.

Chrono Trigger - I don't know how the DS version compares to the SNES version as I've only played the SNES one, but the port is there if you're interested.

Radiant Historia - A surprisingly good JRPG. I never managed to get that far into it but it seemed really interesting so far. It's quite similar to Chrono Trigger in a lot of ways.

Castlevania Order of Ecclesia & Portrait of Ruin - Castlevania yo. Nothing else needs to be said. There's Dawn of Sorrow too but I haven't played that one.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney series - You know these. Pick 'em up.  ;)

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team - This game is surprisingly awesome. The later MD games are a little weak but this is brilliant, definitely worth getting.

3DS:
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - The sequel to 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. Though I'd strongly recommend getting the Vita version instead as I see you have one. It's the superior version. I love this game so so so so much. Definitely finish 999 before playing this though.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - The weakest game to come out of Persona 3 & 4 in my opinion but still worth picking up if you're after 3DS games. Just make sure to finish Persona 3 and 4 first. It doesn't really spoil them that badly but still.

Scribblenauts Unlimited - Type the name of literally any object or thing you can think of and have it appear in the game to help you achieve objectives. Add adjectives for extra fun. Soon you will be commanding armies of Flying Invincible Radioactive Rideable Cthulhus against defenseless NPCs and it will be brilliant.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 06:50:02 pm »
tag, also interested, but I request more non rpg stuff. Since i am not much of an RPG fan (sorry Kash <3)
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

abe

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 07:13:00 pm »
tag, also interested, but I request more non rpg stuff. Since i am not much of an RPG fan (sorry Kash <3)

Non-RPG Stuff
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) - Excellent game.
Code of Princess (3DS) - A decent non-traditional fighting game. Worth picking up if you find a copy for a decent price.
Drawn to Life (DS) - Platformer
Elite Beat Agents (DS) - Rhythm game with a lot of character.
Ivy the Kiwi? (DS) - "Runner" type game like
Nanostray & Nanostray 2 (DS) - Shmups. Cheap and pretty good.
Ontamarama (DS) - Rhythm game. Pretty unique, worth checking out.
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (3DS) - Rhythm game. A huge amount of music to play from most of the games in the Final Fantasy franchise.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 07:19:05 pm »
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Kirby: Mouse Attack/Squeak Squad
Henry Hatsworth
Contra 4
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Yoshi's Island DS
Yoshi Touch and Go
Worms Open Warfare 1&2
Resident Evil Deadly Silence
Pokemon Pearl and Pokemon HeartGold
Dementium
New Super Mario Bros
Scribblenauts

Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros 2
Pilotwings Resort
Luigi's Mansion 2
Ocarina of Time 3D
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Paper Mario Sticker Star
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask

Those are a few of my favourites for each system. I've got quite a bit of catching up to do with both but there are still loads of games that I really enjoy.

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 07:29:01 pm »
Thanks everyone so far for the recommendations! I will make sure to check out some of the titles that you guys have recommended. I also have some of the games you guys have listed.

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 08:47:16 pm »
DS/3DS is my largest collection at the moment... Excuse any that you may already have, but just in case folks are interested in recommendations in general!

Some 3DS recommendations:

Etrian Odyssey series (old school dungeon-crawl)
Monster Hunter 4 (hunting genre, not just RPG imo)
Legend of Legacy is supposed to be really good so far

3DS eshop:

Pushmo (puzzler)
Crimson Shroud (rpg mimicking tabletop DnD rpgs)
Attack of the Friday Monsters (very cute, short narrative-based game)

DS:

Ace Attorney games (whodunit games, lots of humor and fun)
Contact (rpg, a great, quirkly game along the lines of something like Earthbound)
Dragon Quest games (I thought they were all good)
Elite Beat Agents (classic rhythm game on the DS)
Etrian Odyssey (the originals - also very good)
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales (very cute light rpg)
Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime (also a very cute light rpg)
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (mystery game with puzzle game system, narrative-driven)
Hotel Dusk (visual novel/mystery-puzzle game)
Lunar Knights (great action-rpg)
Professor Layton games (beautiful artwork, lots of puzzles)
Puzzle Quest (match-3+ puzzler, very addictive)
Radiant Historia (amazing time-traveling rpg)
Rhythm Heaven (silly rhythm game)
Rune Factory games (Harvest Moon + slaying monsters!)
Shin Megami Tensei: *anything* ;)
Trauma Center games (very fun "medical" games)
The World Ends With You (one of my favorite RPGs, involving collecting clothes, pins, dual-screen simultaneous battles. very unique)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:49:11 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

davifus

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 10:54:38 pm »
Yokai Watch
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

gf78

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 08:50:26 am »
What, no love for Valkyrie Profile:  Covenant of the Plume?   ;)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 09:48:27 am »
I'm not an RPG guy, but Chrono Trigger is out there.  The DS version is affordable (around $20) and it is a better version if you ask me.  It has anime style cutscenes!

This is a huge library with tons of good games.  Most DS stuff is super cheap too.  Here's a list of some of my personal favorites.  It may not be your taste, but I think they're good games.

DS
Contra 4
New Super Mario Bros
Chrono Trigger
Professor Layton series
Super Dodgeball Brawlers (It's a blast. Check this one out)
The Legendary Starfy (A Kirby-esque game)
Mario Vs. Donkey Kong (1&2)
Yoshi's Island DS

3DS
Legend of ZeldaL A Link Between Worlds (Don't ask questions.  Just get it.  It's the best game on the 3DS)
Star Fox 64 3D (I love this game on N64.  It's the same on the 3DS.  It's great)
Super Mario 3D Land. 
Bust-A-Move Universe
Cave Story 3D
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Super Smash Bros
Yoshi's New Island

argyle

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 10:01:51 am »
First, let me say that if you aren't concerned about the games being complete, Gamestop is your friend in regards to cheap DS games. There are some real treasures to be found in those cheap DS games they keep near the register (usually).

Retro Game Challenge - a great recreation of what it was like to game in the 80's, complete with cheat codes & hints from magazines. The retro games in this set are recreations of typical genres you'd find in the 80's and are very fun. Highly recommended.

Ghost Trick - One of my favorite DS games. The story and characters are fantastic, and the time-based puzzles are ingenious. Criminally overlooked game.

Monster Tale - another fantastic game, this one a platformer with some light RPG and Metroidvania elements. Hold off on this one tho, they've announced an enhanced 3DS port.

Henry Hatsworth - man, this is a weird one but in a good way. Imagine crossing a platformer with a falling block puzzle game. Yeah, you probably can't imagine that - but if the idea piques your interest, grab this one.

Aliens: Infestation - Metroidvania-style, surprisingly good for a licensed game.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 10:53:49 am »
What, no love for Valkyrie Profile:  Covenant of the Plume?   ;)

I almost added this to my list, but I haven't played it yet!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

bast

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 04:25:54 pm »
There is huge number of titles to choose, here is my list

Dementium  (DS)
Pokemon Shuffle  (3DS)
Rayman 3D   (3DS)
Final Fantasy  III & IV  (3DS)
Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars  (DS)
Assasins Creed: Altair Chronices (DS)
Street Fighter IV (3DS)