Author Topic: "Limited Run Games" is Producing Physical Copies of Games in Limited Quantities  (Read 198913 times)

telly

No idea what tbf stands for but I disagree on "genius". Then again it's no secret that I've long railed against their "service" to fans/collectors and think how they operate is bass-ackwards compared to other companies like Gaijinworks. In the latter's case I was given PLENTY of time to put in my order for all of their releases and have had ZERO issue getting them. No stressing about being awake/available at a certain time on a certain date hoping I can order fast enough to beat the rush of scalpers/flippers. It almost feels like they purposely cater to that crowd in an effort to jack up sale numbers because as their name implies "It's a limited run!"  ::)

Of course I might be a little aggravated with them right now because my copy of Stealth still shows waiting on USPS pick up from the 30th.  :P

I really don't understand why their whole business model is partially touted as "keeping physical media relevant".  ::) Yeah right, for the tiny, minuscule amount of physical games they make per release, it's almost as if the game never came out in physical at all, for all the good it does.

But on the flip side, we're stuck with what's really kind of crappy about physical releases! Limited availability, and scalped prices that go way through the roof. Digital at least is more available and the prices are much more stable.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

It almost feels like they purposely cater to that crowd in an effort to jack up sale numbers because as their name implies "It's a limited run!"  ::)

I was trying to think of a way to put into words my thoughts on LRG. This is the most accurate description I've seen.

A part of me takes solace in the fact that I can probably sell One Way Heroics and/or Dragon Chronicles to someone for enough cash to later buy something I would actually enjoy.

TBF-  To Be Fair

At least that's my guess
Thanks for translating.

I really though tbf was a widespread thing.

And for the record I'm someone who is awful with slang and abbreviations. I only learned what 'Netflix and chill' meant a couple months back  ;D

desocietas

TBF-  To Be Fair

At least that's my guess
Thanks for translating.

And for the record I'm someone who is awful with slang and abbreviations. I only learned what 'Netflix and chill' meant a couple months back  ;D

I see "tbf" used as "to be frank," as well, if anything! but I guess it's all contextual in the end...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

TBF-  To Be Fair

At least that's my guess
Thanks for translating.

I see "tbf" used as "to be frank," as well, if anything! but I guess it's all contextual in the end...

then again it could of mean "Tacos, Beer, Football" for all I know

dashv

PRO Supporter

No idea what tbf stands for but I disagree on "genius". Then again it's no secret that I've long railed against their "service" to fans/collectors and think how they operate is bass-ackwards compared to other companies like Gaijinworks. In the latter's case I was given PLENTY of time to put in my order for all of their releases and have had ZERO issue getting them. No stressing about being awake/available at a certain time on a certain date hoping I can order fast enough to beat the rush of scalpers/flippers. It almost feels like they purposely cater to that crowd in an effort to jack up sale numbers because as their name implies "It's a limited run!"  ::)

Of course I might be a little aggravated with them right now because my copy of Stealth still shows waiting on USPS pick up from the 30th.  :P

I really don't understand why their whole business model is partially touted as "keeping physical media relevant".  ::) Yeah right, for the tiny, minuscule amount of physical games they make per release, it's almost as if the game never came out in physical at all, for all the good it does.

But on the flip side, we're stuck with what's really kind of crappy about physical releases! Limited availability, and scalped prices that go way through the roof. Digital at least is more available and the prices are much more stable.

Telly,

I agree.

The gamer in me wants the physical disc so I can still enjoy the game 20 years from now. But the collector in me can't bring myself to break the seal on it knowing there are less than 10,000 copies out in the wild.

Flashback2012

But don't you see? The physical releases ARE relevant...to the scalper/flipper community!  :P  ::)  ;) If you need further proof, this came from the e-mail about the FireWatch/Stranger's Wrath release this weekend...

"The game will sell for $29.99 - only 4,500 copies have been produced! Our last Oddworld release on Vita sold out in under five minutes! It now sells for several times its original price - don't miss out on this one!"

It seems to be that they outright encourage the feeding frenzy mentality as well as doing nothing to deter the scalpers/flipper scene so that actual gamers can get copies to actually play/enjoy. I dare say they RELY on those people to help drive their business model.  >:(

Digital may be more available but in some instances I don't see how it's a more viable option when it comes to pricing. As an example, I was previewing ads the other day and Meijer has Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash on sale for $29.99. I told my cousin about it and he mentioned that seemed high so I checked the price on Gamestop's and Best Buy's websites where it was $39.99 and $49.99 respectively. On both sites, they listed the digital download release at $49.99. Granted, some people just don't shop around or are willing to accept the price of digital because they don't need/want a physical release taking up space but if you're a gamer trying to save money, in this instance it doesn't make sense to go digital when 2 out of 3 places have it for less (or way less) than the digital price.  ;)

Anyway, I DO appreciate that there's a company out there that is willing to make physical releases of games that previously would only be limited to digital release. I just wish someone else would see what they're doing and 1-Up them somehow. Like go behind them and talk to the developers they've released games for and do a 2nd run for anyone/everyone who wants a copy. They could partner with GameStop so any unsold copies could be dumped on them and it could sit in their inventory.  :P

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

anyone else get their blind boxes yet?

i got octodad ps4 and dragon fantasy vita. 

Not what I was hoping for but that's what you get when you order a blind box.  At least I didn't have dragon fantasy on vita.  I have an extra copy of Octodad if anyone wants to trade. 

soera

Less than 10 minutes til today's launch. Firewatch for PS4 and some vita stuff.

soera

Firewatch locked and loaded. All the triple bundles of the vita game seem to be gone already.

If you miss out on Firewatch, you'll have another chance come January

https://store.camposanto.com/products/firewatch-limited-edition

turf

PRO Supporter

I did it!  I didn't buy any LRG today. It was hard, but I resisted

Flashback2012

I did it!  I didn't buy any LRG today. It was hard, but I resisted

LOL  ;D

I picked up Stranger's Wrath HD and my cousin bought me FireWatch for Christmas.  :)

I had to  ::) when I saw they were offering the Stranger's Wrath 3-pack. As Telly said, if they're trying to "keep physical media relevant" then it's only so shelf queens can put three copies of the same game on display (most likely to never be opened or played).  :P

One thing that's mildly irritating was they put both SWHD and FireWatch up for sale on the same day, even though the holidays right around the corner. Disposable income is already tight and even more so with it being this time of year.  :( At least Campo Santo had the good sense to order up extra copies to be made for sale on their site once the season dies down. Huge props to them for their forward thinking; that move would have earned my business had I not gotten the game for Christmas as mentioned above.  ;)

kashell

Neither of those games looked fun, anyway.

rayne315

I forgot in the am to get these 2 (forgot to set my alarm for the release) hopefully I can pick them up during the second go round.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully