Author Topic: "Limited Run Games" is Producing Physical Copies of Games in Limited Quantities  (Read 196924 times)

kashell

I've purchased a few things from LRG before, but I've only received one ticket-thingy from them. It came with my order of Ray Gigant. This whole thing is kind of ridiculous; why can't buyers just get the cover type they want?

I'm excited for the game no matter what. And I never liked that yellow color on the 32X, anyways.

They haven't showed it yet, but they commissioned for someone to make a new painted cover a la the original cover art for the Sega CD release, that's the one I'm planning to get.

guilty0fbeing

LOL! I saw this game CIB for the 32x at my shop for less than this will probably go for. :)

LOL! I saw this game CIB for the 32x at my shop for less than this will probably go for. :)
Grab it then, the 32X version goes for about $50.  This will probably be $25-30

The great thing about LRG's business model is that they don't have to offer any form of actual customer support, because even if you boycott them and don't buy their products, they'll still sell all of their products.

LRG can get fucked.

Anybody else not get tickets with any of their orders?  Anybody successfully get the tickets replaced?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:27:24 pm by ignition365 »

telly

I just wish they would stop kidding themselves that they're "keeping physical media relevant". Yeah right, for the miniscule number of releases they put out it's almost as if the game never got a physical release at all. If they really wanted to support that model they would make more games, IMO.

And it's not like physically released games have no flaws either. With such a limited releases like this it becomes so hard to buy the physical version later at a reasonable price because of scalpers and flippers. That bad side of physical games is embraced and promoted by LRG.

I'll admit it, I've bought a game from LRG, and I plan to buy Salt and Sanctuary if that ever comes out. Those are the only games right now that I would be willing to support atm.  :-\
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

rayne315

The great thing about LRG's business model is that they don't have to offer any form of actual customer support, because even if you boycott them and don't buy their products, they'll still sell all of their products.

LRG can get fucked.

Anybody else not get tickets with any of their orders?  Anybody successfully get the tickets replaced?

just a quick question for you. do you log into their website every time you purchase something?

to the best of my knowledge they only give reward tickets out to people who are logged in on purchase.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

LRG can get fucked.

just a quick question for you. do you log into their website every time you purchase something?

to the best of my knowledge they only give reward tickets out to people who are logged in on purchase.
Yeah, all my orders are in my order history.

Like, I get the mindset of refusing to replace tickets because people could be scamming, but you should have in place a system that would assure that customers get their tickets.

They gave me TONS of responses, one of which being that they have money in these tickets, each ticket has an approximate value of $.62 or something, but their Loyalty Reward is essentially Spend $1,000 and get $25 back.  That's what 2.5%

LRG is also being really quiet about the 32X cover being exclusive to the rewards program.  A lot of people are expecting a bundle, but they aren't doing that.

I REALLY REALLY hope this bites them in the ass.  This whole loyalty program is a shit show.  They even said something along the lines of they could've made the whole loyalty program integrated into the order system but they decided not to because it would allegedly cost them $500/month to do so.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:43:32 pm by ignition365 »

desocietas

I haven't had any issues with receiving tickets with each of my purchases.

As for the business model, I know it's not for everyone, but the number of copies of items available for sale isn't fully on LRG, and I've seen a few sales where the game offered was easily still available the next day for anyone interested.

People gripe about Nintendo not publishing enough copies of games. People get annoyed by retailer exclusive variants. Collector's editions are numbered and only available from the publisher. These are all businesses, and they're handling the strategies of selling games differently. Whether it be produce the amount needed for all pre-orders, sell a limited amount due to production costs, or create a false impression of high demand, I think they're usually making these decisions consciously. How many times have I see an expensive collector's item sit on a shelf for months after release, only for it to drop in price to try to get it to move. Product that doesn't move is a loss to the publisher and the retailers. At the end of the day, that means more to them than people saying they'll boycott or complaining. IMO there is no "perfect" business model that can be applied to small and large gaming companies.

I'm always happy to help grab another copy of something for someone if they don't think they'll be able to buy a LRG game the day of. I've done this before for others and am happy to do it again.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

LRG can get fucked.

Like, I get the mindset of refusing to replace tickets because people could be scamming, but you should have in place a system that would assure that customers get their tickets.

They gave me TONS of responses, one of which being that they have money in these tickets, each ticket has an approximate value of $.62 or something, but their Loyalty Reward is essentially Spend $1,000 and get $25 back.  That's what 2.5%

LRG is also being really quiet about the 32X cover being exclusive to the rewards program.  A lot of people are expecting a bundle, but they aren't doing that.

I REALLY REALLY hope this bites them in the ass.  This whole loyalty program is a shit show.  They even said something along the lines of they could've made the whole loyalty program integrated into the order system but they decided not to because it would allegedly cost them $500/month to do so.

wait a little math here...

~189880 (total of all games made for already released games) / 18 (months they have been selling games for) = 10548.88888 (average games produced per month)
10548.88*0.62= $6540.31 (will be spent per month in rewards tickets assuming a 100% sell rate)

seems like good business sense to me...

its more likely that each reward ticket costs $0.0062 because at that price it would be $65.40
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:22:24 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

LRG can get fucked.

wait a little math here...

~189880 (total of all games made for already released games) / 18 (months they have been selling games for) = 10548.88888 (average games produced per month)
10548.88*0.62= $6540.31 (will be spent per month in rewards tickets assuming a 100% sell rate)

seems like good business sense to me...

its more likely that each reward ticket costs $0.0062 because at that price it would be $65.40
I said value, not cost.  The 62 cent thing is based on that 40 tickets gets you a $25 game.  0.62 * 40 = 24.80

Honestly, LRG is worse than having digital only releases.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:39:05 pm by ignition365 »

turf

PRO Supporter

What's the date on Night Trap?

No date yet.

Digital release is Spring 2017 (So next month or June) and LRG claims physical release will be shortly after digital release.

guilty0fbeing

Well, we have one more day until there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Considering what the CE of Darius Burst comes with I decided to give the OST a listen to on youtube....and umm, it's pretty bad imo. The figures sound pretty cool, but I cannot justify the extra $40 for them. Will be sticking with the standard edition on this one, which is probably for the best since the CE will probably sell out in a couple of minutes.