Author Topic: "Limited Run Games" is Producing Physical Copies of Games in Limited Quantities  (Read 196997 times)

telly

I've always said that LRG has never been about preserving or keeping physical media relevant. 5000 copies is a drop in a bucket and does very little to actually meet that goal, IMO.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:31:42 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

ferraroso

What was with that waiting in line thing at checkout? By the time I got out of line, Wonder Boy was sold out. LRG is seriously dropping the ball with their last few releases. If Night Trap is handled this poorly, then I'll just give up on them as a publisher. They are no longer "preserving physical media" when you can't buy it.

You are absolutely right. But unfortunately, I don't see them changing anytime soon.
If we were buying from a physical store, what happened to me, you and apparently thousands of other people is equivalent to the shop taking the product from our hands as we were waiting in the check out line.
Apart from that, even though they try selling the image of a company made of gamers who publish and sell to other gamers, their strategy of waiting one product to be sold out in order to release it bundled with other notoriously unwanted stuff is the kind of attitude that we became used to expect from the dirtiest corporations that command this industry.

Now I need to sleep because, when the final batch becomes available, it will be freakin' 6h AM of my first saturday off in over a month here, so I will need to wake up pretty early tomorrow...
Wish the best luck to all of us.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:36:33 pm by ferraroso »

kashell

I decided to just go with the Play-Asia route for Ys Origins. The only downside to this is that the copy I would have hopefully retrieved from Limited Run Jerks is now going to, likely, be in the hands of a scalper who takes advantage of the "2 per person" thing.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:36:22 pm by kashell »

I decided to just go with the Play-Asia route for Ys Origins. The only downside to this is that the copy I would have hopefully retrieve from Limited Run Jerks is now going to, likely, be in the hands of a scalper who takes advantage of the "2 per person" thing.
There are tons of folks who exceed that 2 per person limit.

There is a guy on ebay for every release lists at least 4 copies and sells them.

Also, over at the LRG forums there is a dude who brags that he always exceeds the purchase limits and that there is nothing LRG can do about it.  I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been banned in general for trolling, aside from the possibility that he is exceeding their purchase limits.

kashell

It sounds like he has separate accounts set up. Or he has others working with him. I'm not sure. Either way, screw that guy.

Limeface

PRO Supporter

Screw Limited Run games!
I've waited so long to get Wonder Boy, I clicked to buy the game at the very moment that the counter reached zero, I waited your freaking website find a place for me in the line to check out or some bullshit like this and, nevertheless, I wasn't able to make the buy the game because it was sold out while I was waiting in the damn line that your stupid poor servers put me in!

Screw this website and their shitty business ideas!!!

At least Wonder Boy is available in an English/Chinese release via Play Asia so you can get it through there :)

http://www.play-asia.com/wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-multi-language/13/70b4g3

I agree though man, it sucks to miss out on it. Hopefully you can grab one at 6pm too, there is another window available.
Is the Play-Asia version the same game? Or does the LRG version have some sort of difference?

Screw Limited Run games!
I've waited so long to get Wonder Boy, I clicked to buy the game at the very moment that the counter reached zero, I waited your freaking website find a place for me in the line to check out or some bullshit like this and, nevertheless, I wasn't able to make the buy the game because it was sold out while I was waiting in the damn line that your stupid poor servers put me in!

At least Wonder Boy is available in an English/Chinese release via Play Asia so you can get it through there :)

I agree though man, it sucks to miss out on it. Hopefully you can grab one at 6pm too, there is another window available.
Is the Play-Asia version the same game? Or does the LRG version have some sort of difference?
Reversible cover art.

Limeface

PRO Supporter

Screw Limited Run games!

Reversible cover art.
Is that it? I'll probably just go with Play-Asia then instead of dealing with the LRG hassle.

dashv

PRO Supporter

I decided to just go with the Play-Asia route for Ys Origins. The only downside to this is that the copy I would have hopefully retrieved from Limited Run Jerks is now going to, likely, be in the hands of a scalper who takes advantage of the "2 per person" thing.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I'll probably go the same route.

I'm getting seriously fed up with companies like LRG and Nintendo not wanting to sell me their products.

I love gaming because it's supposed to be a stress reliever.

Not a stress inducer.

I thought SONY already patented methods to make games less fun.

(No seriously, google it.)

It's gotten pretty ridiculous when I can buy an old Atari Jaguar game easier and cheaper than a current gen release. It like living in bizzaro world.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:25:35 pm by dashv »

soera

I cant complain about LRG. I like their business model. Its honestly "limited" games. So many collector's/limited edition of games really arent that. They make so many that its not really a limited edition at all.

This morning (and a few other mornings) get hectic. Its sometimes 10's of 1000's of people vying for 1000's of copies of games. Not everyone is going to get a copy. Its not going to get any easier either. Night Trap, Ys Origins, Cosmic Star Heroine, and other games are coming up in the future.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:42:46 pm by jce3000gt »

dashv

PRO Supporter

That's my complaint as well.

I refreshed for a full minute after 7:00 before the add to cart button appeared.

Then waited another minute in their queuing thing.

Clicked PayPal and less than a minute later I was approved but got a receipt saying $0 because they went out of stock!

What the efffffff was I in the queue for then!?!?!? (Just to keep their inventory system from crashing apparently).

I don't mind limited editions.

I just hate the concept of there _only_being a limited edition for fantastic games.

The game itself was made to be played by everyone not an elite and lucky few.

But these physical releases are being made for collectors/investors that want to either flip it for quick cash or put it on the shelf unplayed forever.

I just need to accept that physical media and lasting purchases are becoming more of an exception than a rule. I need to get myself into a mode where I no longer care are being able to recreate an experience years later. I need to be more moment to moment like a majority of folks. I need to not care about spending $40 on a digital download that may or may not be retrievable later.

I am torn between becoming one of those grown ups that doesn't see the point in (currentl gen) video games and wanting to at least appreciate it for the short while I can.

Re-reading my comment. I sound like a kid. Maybe I should just put the toys away and move on to something else.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 05:13:18 pm by dashv »

turf

PRO Supporter

45 Min until the next wave.  Good luck to all of you. 
If you have my number or facebook hit me up if you want some help getting one.  I'll get in line too.

dashv

PRO Supporter

45 Min until the next wave.  Good luck to all of you. 
If you have my number or facebook hit me up if you want some help getting one.  I'll get in line too.
Even if you don't get one you might at least slow the scalpers down. ;)

I'm saving my work out for after this sale. If I don't make it I'll need to relieve some stress.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 05:29:23 pm by dashv »

dashv

PRO Supporter

7 minutes...