Author Topic: Indivisible - Indiegogo Endeavor  (Read 4392 times)

indenton

Indivisible - Indiegogo Endeavor
« on: October 30, 2015, 01:43:02 pm »
So I trust that a lot of us have at least been hearing about the Indivisible campaign, looks like it's getting a lot of positive feedback and all.  I really do think it stands among the best kickstarter / Indiegogo video game fund raising campaign.  In fact, here's a short 5 minute analysis I did on that: 

Shameless promotion? I don't see too much discussion about the game of VGC, so why not? Do we have any other supporters here?  How do you guys think this whole thing is fairing?  Is this game even going to reach its target at this point? 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:02:30 pm by indenton »

abe

Re: Indivisible - Indiegogo Endeavor
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 03:27:32 pm »
https://youtu.be/JGRrFy60ETg - I can't even figure out how to embed this properly, am I stupid or something?

You use this to embed:
Code: [Select]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/JGRrFy60ETg[/youtube]Don't forget to remove the "s" from the "https" at the beginning or it won't work.

Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

indenton

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 03:44:11 pm »
https://youtu.be/JGRrFy60ETg - I can't even figure out how to embed this properly, am I stupid or something?

Don't forget to remove the "s" from the "https" at the beginning or it won't work.

Ohhhh!!! I thought that proxy might of had something to do with it

Indivisible is now visible

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:45:55 pm by indenton »

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 04:44:49 pm »
The game seems pretty awesome, but I don't think it'll make it's money.  It's past the half way mark with still 2/3rds of their money to get.  I'd buy a copy, but I just don't have the spare funds right now.

soera

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 01:13:33 am »
I went ahead and pledged for the physical copy. If it makes its funds, I get the game. If it doesnt, I get my money back. :)

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 01:14:20 pm »
This game looks really generic. It's time for indie developers to move on to 3D, people are tired of all these 2D indie games and the fact that this is struggling to get funded shows that.

Also this tweet from one of the people working on the game really annoyed me: https://twitter.com/kinucakes/status/652741061350047744

Use the money you made from your previous game to fund it yourself.

indenton

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 04:12:33 pm »
This game looks really generic. It's time for indie developers to move on to 3D, people are tired of all these 2D indie games and the fact that this is struggling to get funded shows that.

Also this tweet from one of the people working on the game really annoyed me: https://twitter.com/kinucakes/status/652741061350047744

What a shallow outlook on the quality of video games you have there, it isn't 1996 anymore.  If you want full-motion video and whatnot, stick with your Sega CD/32X.  I think it's more so the genre which just isn't appealing to as many people as, let's say a platformer like Yooka-Laylee, with other sub-genres like Mighty No. 9 & Bloodstained. 

I'm not sure exactly how funding works, sure Skullgirls may have made a fair bit of money, but how much of that money was pure profit that went to Lab Zero for a next project?

indenton

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 05:16:06 pm »

I believe that's the Composer, and I don't think there's anything to be annoyed about here.  They're just being upfront about this, they are at the mercy of peoples trust and generosity towards the campaign, but time is also a factor here, supporting the game later won't be possible if it doesn't get enough support now.  These are just the rules of Kickstarter & Indiegogo. 

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 05:34:01 pm »

That is such a completely wrong thing to say.  I think we've seen things that say the complete opposite.  Ori was a big hit with it's 2D design (not exactly indie, I know, but it feels like an indie experience), Bloodstained made 5.5 million dollars in its campaign for a 2D game, Undertale is as low tech as you can practically get visually and that's one of the most well received games of the year I believe.  Shovel Knight is a huge hit on practically every platform and that was one of my favorite games of last year, with the expansion being just as wonderful.

2D is just as valid of an art style as 3D and I'm someone that generally prefers to play 3D games more than I do 2D sidescrollers.

Also Lab Zero is not a big company, even as far as indie devs go.  Even if they made profit off of Skullgirls, it isn't like they suddenly have some big slush fund, especially when looking at a bigger project.  It's why kickstarter/indiegogo exist, because it's tough to get the money to pay for game development nowadays, especially as an indie.  They aren't all Scott Cawthon making Five Night at Freddy's lol

devancowan

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 07:20:26 pm »
This looks like a good game but it's hard for me to invest the 60 dollars now when I won't see a final product for 2 to 3 years down the road

indenton

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 08:14:38 pm »
This looks like a good game but it's hard for me to invest the 60 dollars now when I won't see a final product for 2 to 3 years down the road

The harsh thing to face is there WON'T be a game  in 2-3 years if we can't trust the campaign. 
This isn't a Pre-order, at this point it's good damn life support. 

Not as a collector, but as a gamer, if you respect games as an art form, could you maybe go for a smaller contribution and take one on the chin with a soft copy...

Am I panhandling?? I suppose I am, but seeing this game fail like is just so sad
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 08:19:37 pm by indenton »

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 08:35:07 pm »
It is asking a lot for a small time dev.  Even Skullgirls didn't break a million, though their asking price was vastly lower.  As good as the game looks, 1.5 million is quite a bit for a group not a ton of people know.  Not that it's an unrealistic asking price, game development is expensive, but it's a very big ask from their fans.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's more people having abit of some kickstarter/indiegogo fatigue.  There are a lot of people still waiting on games right now.  My closest one is A Hat in Time and that's under a year out.  Bloodstained and Yooka-Laylee are easily 2 to 3 years out.  I'm trying to manage my funds to get games coming out now, let alone spending money right now for games years down the road lol
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 08:37:16 pm by kamikazekeeg »

maximo310

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 09:03:24 pm »
It is a lot of money, but it can be pretty expensive to make a game as a small developer nowadays, and based on what I've heard from other small companies,  there are a lot of expenses that need to be covered, such as , audio/ animation contracts, QA testing, etc.  I found one example of an anyalsis here: 
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/25/skullgirls-characters-cost-250k-each-to-create-heres-why-squigly-is-cheaper/

I'm guessing that the indiegogo campiagn for indivisible is reflecting their actual cost to develop the game, even though not as many people may be willing to fund that much money. I'm not sure if Lab Zero has made enough money from Skullgirls to cover a good porition of the dev cost for Indivisible, hence the Indiegogo campaign.

This funding also has nothing to do with 3D by the way; a movement to that would likely cause development costs for many indie games to jump considerably and make less people willing to develop games.

indenton

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 11:40:12 pm »
It is a lot of money, but it can be pretty expensive to make a game as a small developer nowadays, and based on what I've heard from other small companies,  there are a lot of expenses that need to be covered, such as , audio/ animation contracts, QA testing, etc.  I found one example of an anyalsis here: 
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/25/skullgirls-characters-cost-250k-each-to-create-heres-why-squigly-is-cheaper/

I'm guessing that the indiegogo campaign for indivisible is reflecting their actual cost to develop the game, even though not as many people may be willing to fund that much money. I'm not sure if Lab Zero has made enough money from Skullgirls to cover a good portion of the dev cost for Indivisible, hence the Indiegogo campaign.

The Director Mike Zaimont himself covered that very thing, once you put those costs into perspective, it all makes sense.  Believe it or not, they're all operating at minimum wage. 

Also, Lab Zero may disband if the Indiegogo campaign fails.  That prototype cost them big-time.  That's from them, not me.  This is utterly depressing, they really don't deserve this. 

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 11:51:13 pm »

What a shallow outlook on the quality of video games you have there, it isn't 1996 anymore.  If you want full-motion video and whatnot, stick with your Sega CD/32X.  I think it's more so the genre which just isn't appealing to as many people as, let's say a platformer like Yooka-Laylee, with other sub-genres like Mighty No. 9 & Bloodstained. 

I'm not sure exactly how funding works, sure Skullgirls may have made a fair bit of money, but how much of that money was pure profit that went to Lab Zero for a next project?
I realize it's not 1996 anymore that's why I'm tired of seeing all these boring, uninspired 2D indies popping up on crowdfunding sites.

There's plenty of indie games that have come out in recent years that look just like this game. Dust: An Elysian Tail is one example of a game that looks just like this.

That is such a completely wrong thing to say.  I think we've seen things that say the complete opposite.  Ori was a big hit with it's 2D design (not exactly indie, I know, but it feels like an indie experience), Bloodstained made 5.5 million dollars in its campaign for a 2D game, Undertale is as low tech as you can practically get visually and that's one of the most well received games of the year I believe.  Shovel Knight is a huge hit on practically every platform and that was one of my favorite games of last year, with the expansion being just as wonderful.

2D is just as valid of an art style as 3D and I'm someone that generally prefers to play 3D games more than I do 2D sidescrollers.

Also Lab Zero is not a big company, even as far as indie devs go.  Even if they made profit off of Skullgirls, it isn't like they suddenly have some big slush fund, especially when looking at a bigger project.  It's why kickstarter/indiegogo exist, because it's tough to get the money to pay for game development nowadays, especially as an indie.  They aren't all Scott Cawthon making Five Night at Freddy's lol

What about the hundreds of other crowdfunded indies that don't get any recognition because they turn out to be crap?

2D games were fine but these last few years indie devs have ran them into the ground because it's way cheaper to make a 2D game than a 3D game. How many games in the last few years have been inspired by Super Metroid? I'm not in the wrong to be sick of this trend.

They say right in their Indiegogo page that they are already being funded by a publisher "if they reach their goal." There's a difference between a guy that wants to make a game with a couple of friends and an already established developer using crowdfunding. Established developers always use the same excuse that they don't want to sacrifice their creativity due to a publisher's demands. I think that statement is bs, the developer just wants more money up front instead of using their own funds like what people used to do before crowdfunding.